Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2016, 04:30 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times

Advertisements

I honestly did not know that so many people didn't wash their clothes after wearing them. I think that's really gross. I was recently reading a thread in the Psychology forum where the OP often "forgets" to take showers and sprays clothes with Febreeze and wears them over and over instead of washing them.

And some people are so very defensive about not washing their clothes or not showering every day, as if those who think that is odd or disgusting are the ones who are "weird."

Sorry, I just don't think so.

And the friends that am referring to don't lack the resources to buy more bras. They just think it's normal.

Also, $350 in bras is not really that much money...we are talking about things that you wear every single day. I also don't get the magic "once a year" thing...I didn't know bras had an expiration date. Mine last longer than a year and still look great, even though I wash them in the washing machine (on the hand wash cycle). Some get worn out and have to be tossed within a year or so, some last 2-3+ years. Even though they come from Victoria's Secret and are supposedly "garbage."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2016, 04:40 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,270,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I honestly did not know that so many people didn't wash their clothes after wearing them. I think that's really gross. I was recently reading a thread in the Psychology forum where the OP often "forgets" to take showers and sprays clothes with Febreeze and wears them over and over instead of washing them.

And some people are so very defensive about not washing their clothes or not showering every day, as if those who think that is odd or disgusting are the ones who are "weird."

And the friends that am referring to don't lack the resources to buy more bras. They just think it's normal.

Also, $350 in bras is not really that much money...we are talking about things that you wear every single day. I also don't get the magic "once a year" thing...I didn't know bras had an expiration date. Mine last longer than a year and still look great, even though I wash them in the washing machine (on the hand wash cycle). Some get worn out and have to be tossed within a year or so, some last 2-3+ years. Even though they come from Victoria's Secret and are supposedly "garbage."
Technically, if you have to adjust the bra straps or the hook position due to loosening, your bra needs replacing.

Now, if your chest is on the smallish side, you may never notice any issues doing this, but larger-chested women will.

And, to one of your previous comments, there really are humans who rarely sweat and do not require deodorant on any but the warmest days. We're not all the same in that regard.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:56 PM

1,640 posts, read 795,415 times
Quote:

Again, if you're actually soiling your clothing after one use you likely are a person who sweats a lot. I have a buddy like that and it's a bummer for him. He no doubt washes his clothes after every use. For people who don't get dirty like that it's just a waste of water and energy resource. I cannot imagine washing every sweater, housecoat, towel, etc after every use. And people consider me uptight clean- I don't allow shoes on in my home and I'm a bit extreme with hand washing. For me I would feel irresponsible and wasteful (up there with not recycling and creating too much waste). Especially with two kids who do get dirty.

Maybe $350 is small change for you, but that's a bit of money for me. And it is yearly. Although, I only buy on line. The bras I use are not stocked in any store.

Old 05-15-2016, 04:56 PM

7,992 posts, read 5,390,759 times
Quote:
I honestly did not know that so many people didn't wash their clothes after wearing them.
It is not like I am a little kid that gets dirty. I go to work in a climate controlled building, usually cold. I do not sweat. I can wear my clothes a few times before washing

Old 05-15-2016, 04:59 PM

9,196 posts, read 7,235,784 times
Quote:

It depends. A good quality bra, hand-washed and drip-dried, has a lifespan of 1-2 years before the elastic starts to wear out, depending on how many bras you have in the rotation and how heavy your girls are. My biggest problem are the shoulder straps; they rarely keep their elasticity for more than a year, and since I keep mine on the shortest setting from Day 1 (D-cup and larger have shorter straps than C-cup and smaller), once they wear out I have to replace them. And yes, $350 is a lot of money for me.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:17 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
This is the strangest fashion forum I have ever comes across how? How hard up on cash does someone have to be to feel that they need a pair of Jeans to last 7 years? Is the Great Depression on somewhere still in North American or is the extreme cheapskates version of a fashion forum? Wow. Absolutely bizzar!
*Bizarre

Quality fashion has always been made to last. Ask Coco Chanel.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:18 PM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
First off, since my username does seem to confuse some people, I'll start off by saying that I am a woman. A proud, bra-wearing woman.

I know a lot of women who wear the same bra for days without washing it. They seem to think that a bra does not need to be washed as often as other clothing.

I have to disagree. Your bra band isn't too far from your pits, after all. Plus...boob sweat?
It doesn't. I certainly don't wash my bra every time I wear it. That is NUTS. I don't wash my nice blouses or pants every time I wear them either. T-shirts, sure. I wash my workout clothes after I wear them. After I mow the grass, those clothes go in the laundry. After washing the car, yep. But wearing a pair of jeans a couple of days at home, does not make a dirty pair of jeans, for me. I don't get sweaty unless I am working physically, so that just isn't a worry for me. I wear different bras most every day (I have a ton of them) and my daily faves that I wear more frequently, get washed more frequently, but that is certainly not every wearing, or even every 3 wearings, necessarily. Bras are much more likely to wear out if you wash them every single wearing. I wash clothes at most, once a week, sometimes I don't get to wash until longer than that. I have no worries about anything I wear being "smelly". If it was, I would wash it.

Clearly, you can do what you want.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 05-15-2016 at 05:29 PM..

Old 05-15-2016, 05:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
Wearing clean clothes and taking a shower daily is not stressing to me. It is basic standard body hygien. Not being able to do this would personally stress me out, but I guess some people are okay with being untidy.
Hygiene is a word that relates to being disease free through maintaining a healthy level of cleanliness. Do you honestly think people who wear their bra or blue jeans more than once have diseases you do not?

I think you should spend less time worrying about how often other people wash their bras, and learn some freshman bio. For example, hand washing your laundry does not make them more hygienic because it does not do anything for bacteria or any other disease causing agents. To have any impact on the amount of bacteria on your clothing, you would have to wash them in hot and dry them on high. Anyone who buys quality lingerie will generally be unwilling to do so.

So if you want to feel morally superior for washing your bras more than someone else, know that you are rocking as much boob bacteria as the girls who only wash them after ::gasp:: two wears.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
Technically, if you have to adjust the bra straps or the hook position due to loosening, your bra needs replacing.

Now, if your chest is on the smallish side, you may never notice any issues doing this, but larger-chested women will.

And, to one of your previous comments, there really are humans who rarely sweat and do not require deodorant on any but the warmest days. We're not all the same in that regard.
Not true. The whole reason for the hook positions is so that as the bra stretches a bit, you can use the next tighter hook. That's why you are supposed to buy a bra that fits with the hooks in the LAST hook position.

Old 05-15-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:

Well I agree. I surely have twice that, at least, (probably more) in bras. And mine last a very long time. I rotate them a lot. I have some bras that are 10 years old, and they are in excellent shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty