Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2016, 10:44 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,024,845 times

Advertisements

I've never seen panties in the sink at the gym before, either. How strange!

Obviously, traveling is going to be a little different. You have limits of how much you can bring along, and a washer and dryer probably isn't as easily available as it is at home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 10:53 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by klmrocks View Post
I never mentioned Victoria Secret? It is not about if they last for years. If they do great. It is about people feeling like a pair of jeans needs to last for years and needs to be preserved for some mystical purpose.
"mystical purpose" = spending less on clothing.

Taking steps not to wear out the clothing you do have unnecessarily. Frequent laundering is hard on many textiles.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:54 AM

Yeah, gonna go with "Nope, never have a witnessed panties being laundered/abandoned in the sink at any gyms I've ever used."

Old 05-16-2016, 10:58 AM

14,952 posts, read 12,157,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I can't imagine how long I would have to wear a bra before it started smelling. That is not my criteria. I know when my bras need washing. Now, I never exercise in my regular bras, so maybe that's where some people are getting the dirty/smelly from. I always change into a sports bra - heck I carry probably 3 to 5 days of workout outfits in a bag in my car (I work out every day at lunch, and after work) so I shower twice a day, and all worn gym clothes go into the laundry when I get home.
I think most ladies know when their bras need washing. I think that perhaps the smell test is used when there is a question as to whether or not a bra needed washing before its regularly scheduled wash. If the wearer has engaged in activities which resulted in sweating, something like that. I've never kept track of exactly how long I wear most of my bras before I wash them, but it is definitely not after one use. Unless I have sweated heavily while wearing it, or hurled myself front first into a mud pit while I had it on. I can't remember the last time the latter happened to me, LOL.

I have my gym equipment at home, so I exercise early in the AM before I shower or dress, and I generally wear my pj's when I do so. No bras.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:42 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I didn't say that they're exactly the same, but you asked why you would wash something that isn't dirty, and I'm just saying that I prefer not to wait until something looks or smells dirty before washing it.

If I drink water out of a glass, I don't put it back in the cabinet when I'm done with it. It might not look or smell dirty, and it might not be technically "dirty," but it is used and is therefore not clean. If I eat a sandwich off of a plate, I may be able to brush away the crumbs, leaving the plate looking and smelling clean. However, since it's been used, it's not clean, so it goes in the dishwasher and not in the cabinet.

There is a sort of in-between stage between "dirty" and "clean" when something might not look or smell dirty, but it is not as clean as it was when it was first washed. I prefer for things -- including my clothing -- to be clean, not in-between.
Panties are covered in bacteria which can cause illness. Washing them between wearings is the literal definition of hygiene. Your breasts are not part of the digestive system and do not secrete E. coli into your bra.

As for dishes and glasses, again the come into contact with the dirtiest part of the human body in terms of hygiene, the mouth. It is a health issue plain an simple.

Your bra or a pair of jeans, will only come into contact with your skin cells and maybe some sebum. Do you wash the cover of your couch every time you sit in it? Your car seat covers? Your gloves (which are some of the filthiest items of clothing worn. If not, why not? They come into contact with your skin just like jeans or a bra.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think most ladies know when their bras need washing. I think that perhaps the smell test is used when there is a question as to whether or not a bra needed washing before its regularly scheduled wash. If the wearer has engaged in activities which resulted in sweating, something like that. I've never kept track of exactly how long I wear most of my bras before I wash them, but it is definitely not after one use.
Me, either.

Like my other clothing, it is apparent when something requires laundering.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:46 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,740,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassy Fae View Post
I knew you didn't do it daily even though your sheets are likely dirtier than anything you're wearing during the day. Lol This thread is a goof!
The pillow case is going to be far dirtier than the bra by any measure. Oil glands in the face and scalp, massive skin cell turn over and the cess pit known as the mouth. It is so random what people decide are "dirty" vs what they will accept as clean.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:51 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I think most ladies know when their bras need washing. I think that perhaps the smell test is used when there is a question as to whether or not a bra needed washing before its regularly scheduled wash. If the wearer has engaged in activities which resulted in sweating, something like that. I've never kept track of exactly how long I wear most of my bras before I wash them, but it is definitely not after one use. Unless I have sweated heavily while wearing it, or hurled myself front first into a mud pit while I had it on. I can't remember the last time the latter happened to me, LOL.

I have my gym equipment at home, so I exercise early in the AM before I shower or dress, and I generally wear my pj's when I do so. No bras.
Running pretty much requires s bra...unless you are flat chested. LOL. And I bike too, so I go through about 7-8 sports bras a week. My laundry load is mostly gym stuff, a lot of times.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
The pillow case is going to be far dirtier than the bra by any measure. Oil glands in the face and scalp, massive skin cell turn over and the cess pit known as the mouth. It is so random what people decide are "dirty" vs what they will accept as clean.
And the pillow itself.

I agree that people have very set perceptions about what is "dirty" and "gross." They will freak out about things like a pair of unsoiled jeans being reworn, but will think nothing of plopping their microbe-covered cell phones on the table next to their plate of food, or pause from texting somebody to grab an appetizer off the plate at happy hour.

Old 05-16-2016, 11:55 AM

37,624 posts, read 46,016,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
Panties are covered in bacteria which can cause illness. Washing them between wearings is the literal definition of hygiene. Your breasts are not part of the digestive system and do not secrete E. coli into your bra.

As for dishes and glasses, again the come into contact with the dirtiest part of the human body in terms of hygiene, the mouth. It is a health issue plain an simple.

Your bra or a pair of jeans, will only come into contact with your skin cells and maybe some sebum. Do you wash the cover of your couch every time you sit in it? Your car seat covers? Your gloves (which are some of the filthiest items of clothing worn. If not, why not? They come into contact with your skin just like jeans or a bra.
Exactly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty