Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2016, 03:38 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,726,931 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo5427 View Post
When I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s, I don't remember seeing too many guys wearing flip flops or sandals. This seems to have changed in the last decade or two.

I grew up wearing gym shoes and socks with shorts, never wore any kind of sandals unless I went to the beach.

My girlfriend bought me some nice leather flip flops recently and I have to admit I liked them...much more comfortable than the flip flops I remembered from the 80s...or the sneakers I normally wear.

As much as I like them, I feel kinda funny wearing them out in public though so I've restricted their use to running a quick errand.....and then I hope nobody sees me wearing them lol even though my girlfriend assures me they look good on me.

I haven't quite pulled the trigger on wearing them to a BBQ, for example, or similar social occasion. She suggested wearing them to a cookout the other day but I chickened out lol. I don't think anyone outside of immediate family has ever seen my feet and nobody has seen me wearing open toed shoes. It's not like there is anything terribly wrong with my feet, just not used to showing them.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing or is there still a stigma against guys wearing sandals?
What are you talking about? What stigma against guys wearing sandals? I've NEVER heard of one!

Now I live in lake country and you'll find guys wearing sandals and flip flops just about year round. Some only stop when there's snow on the ground. There's a sandal company in the town I live in and htey make....wait for it.....sandals for guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2016, 03:45 PM

12,440 posts, read 14,969,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986pacecar View Post
Not a fan of feet...
What?!?! You want everyone stomping along on peg legs?

Old 07-01-2016, 03:52 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,252,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedjim View Post
Some guys aren't masculine enough to wear them. If it threatens your self-image, don't wear them, personally, I wear whatever I feel like wearing.

Rg

Amen. I wear whatever the f I want and if you don't like it, guess how many fingers I'm holding up now? They are comfortable, and great for quick errands...slip on, slip off.....tell you what, don't look at my sandals and I'll try not looking at your breasts adorned in size 6 tops for a girl that's a solid 12?

Well.....I'll try anyway.....

Old 07-01-2016, 08:02 PM

3,629 posts, read 7,713,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apollo5427 View Post
When I was growing up in the 80s and early 90s, I don't remember seeing too many guys wearing flip flops or sandals. This seems to have changed in the last decade or two.

I grew up wearing gym shoes and socks with shorts, never wore any kind of sandals unless I went to the beach.

My girlfriend bought me some nice leather flip flops recently and I have to admit I liked them...much more comfortable than the flip flops I remembered from the 80s...or the sneakers I normally wear.

As much as I like them, I feel kinda funny wearing them out in public though so I've restricted their use to running a quick errand.....and then I hope nobody sees me wearing them lol even though my girlfriend assures me they look good on me.

I haven't quite pulled the trigger on wearing them to a BBQ, for example, or similar social occasion. She suggested wearing them to a cookout the other day but I chickened out lol. I don't think anyone outside of immediate family has ever seen my feet and nobody has seen me wearing open toed shoes. It's not like there is anything terribly wrong with my feet, just not used to showing them.

Am I making a big deal out of nothing or is there still a stigma against guys wearing sandals?
Just NEVER, NEVER wear them with socks!

Old 07-01-2016, 09:25 PM

2,700 posts, read 4,965,353 times
I grew up int he 60's/70's and sandals especially the Jesus sandals were what everybody wore.... I just bought a pair for myself last week.....

Old 07-02-2016, 01:59 AM

4,248 posts, read 4,193,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAcKhOuSe View Post
who goes around looking at other people's feet constantly unless you have some kind of foot fetish?
Women. Women pay a lot more attention to footwear than us guys do.

edit: After reading this entire thread, apparently gay men pay a lot of attention to footwear, as well.

Old 07-02-2016, 09:28 AM

7,400 posts, read 6,405,077 times
I wasn't aware of such stigma. Flip flops are worn by many pratically all year round in So Cal, and even here in Nor Cal, my husband wears his flip flops a good 75% of the time throughout the year. I do, too.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:13 PM

1 posts, read 882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpoke_TX View Post
Women. Women pay a lot more attention to footwear than us guys do.

edit: After reading this entire thread, apparently gay men pay a lot of attention to footwear, as well.
Well were gay! We didn't spend all that time in the closet for nothing!

I think that flip flops are a better shoe choice than some shoes. (Especially in the summer. Or whenever it depends on where you live.)

Old 08-25-2016, 07:09 AM

18,538 posts, read 31,823,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoHoVe View Post
Just NEVER, NEVER wear them with socks!

DEPENDS ON THE REGION IN which one lives.
here in brooklyn ny guys wear sandals, or slides ( nike slippers) as they call them, with little ankle socks.

looks fine.....

https://www.google.com/search?q=mens...lkXax091b9M%3A

Old 08-25-2016, 07:33 AM

28,336 posts, read 16,484,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post

Disagree. It looks silly, but we do see it a lot - I'll grant you that.

Flip-flops/slides and other sandals with no strap around the back of your heel are bad for your feet, too, because they encourage you to "grip" with your toes. No bueno. Don't do it, or at least don't do it often - your plantar fascia will thank you for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty