Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2016, 12:24 PM

274 posts, read 253,294 times

Advertisements

I never wear 'em. I need ankle support and my feet are ugly.

No sure of the OP's age, but when I was growing up, people jumped to unflattering conclusions about a male older than five years old wearing flip-flops in public while not at the beach.

Doesn't bother me one way or the other, tho.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 PM

983 posts, read 1,057,666 times
When I grew up, people only wore flip flops to the beach. I still have that mentality myself...I am not at the beach/pool, so I don't wear them.

On the other hand, I see both men and women wearing flip flops most of the time. With jeans. In the winter. I've seen people wearing them during blustery winter days. I get frost bite just thinking about it! But whatever they are comfortable with. It isn't my place to quibble about what other people wear...

Old 06-28-2016, 12:40 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,981,625 times
Personally, i can't stand wearing flip flops. They gradually damage and roughen up the soles of the feet and I don't like having my feet exposed like that. They could cause discoloration of the soles, too. Sneakers provide protection and allow me to run when i need to. With sneakers, it's easier to drive, run and they protect the soles of the feet. I'm 32 and my feet are quite smooth and in great condition for my age. I wear no-show socks, which are in style. Also, my feet are small (size 8) and look weird in flip flops. I also don't like the thing that goes between the big toe and second toe, on flip flops. It irritates and could cause blistering between the toes.

Just about every activity in life is easier done while wearing sneakers. Flip flops can fall off easily, they are weak and leave the feet exposed to dangers, such as door edges, rocks and increased potential for stubbing your toes, and they damage the foot soles.

As for the heat, I've never ever felt a dire need to cool off my feet. My sneakers have air mesh on them for continuous air flow, so the heat is a non issue. Even when I go to the beach, I wear sneakers. But I hate the beach anyway, and rarely go.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:44 PM

983 posts, read 1,057,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Just about every activity in life is easier done while wearing sneakers. Flip flops can fall off easily, they are weak and leave the feet exposed to dangers, such as door edges, rocks and increased potential for stubbing your toes, and they damage the foot soles.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:52 PM

5,621 posts, read 5,948,506 times
I've been wearing Reef sandals since I was in high school back in 2008/2009. I even used to wear them during my undergrad years walking around on campus. Now for any longer distance walking I put on shoes but I go with sandals at all other times. For summer it's too warm inside the house to wear socks so if I have to put on socks then put on shoes then take off my shoes then take off my socks, repeat every time the dog wants to go outside and it gets annoying. Sandals? Just slip em on then slip em off. I rarely have a problem with them falling off. They're also just more comfortable. I hate wearing socks for extended periods of time and sandals make it easy.

Old 06-28-2016, 12:55 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,259,178 times
I wouldn't wear dollar store plastic ones out in public but I think leather sandals, including flip flops are fine to wear around as long as your feet aren't yucky.

If you want something that's a little more covered but still cooler to wear and ok with bare feet, maybe try some Tevas, or even more covered, Keens.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:07 PM

2,673 posts, read 2,241,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
wh do americans have such hang ups when it comes to what men are wearing?

time for america to grow up already and get over it.

if you like sandals or flip flops wear them. you dont have to justify yourself to anyone

Why start generalizing about the feelings and opinions of all Americans?

Time for YOU (not some country or entire demographic of people) to grow up already and get over it. I don't know where you're from but it's not time for Russia, or Iceland or South Africa or China or London or Paris or Mecca to get over it. It's time for YOU YOU YOU to get over it.

What do you think men in America wear to the beach or swimming pool? Cowboy boots? Millions of pairs of sandals and flip flops have been sold to men in America. Don't worry about it.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:11 PM

18,141 posts, read 25,334,150 times
I wear sandals with socks
Anybody that doesn't like it can s.... on it

Old 06-28-2016, 01:19 PM

17,077 posts, read 13,398,603 times
Not an issue where I live (Denver), but Tevas are more common.

Old 06-28-2016, 01:22 PM

12,441 posts, read 14,903,386 times
I wear flip-flops, t-shirts, cargo shorts, Madras shorts, whatever is most comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty