Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2017, 05:59 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times

Advertisements

A lot of people are pointing out that historically beards were very common. A lot of men had beards, including Jesus. The difference is that it was a matter of not really having a choice. Now that we have things like running water, indoor plumbing, and efficient razors readily available, it's much easier to shave. If I had to use a knife down by the river, I probably wouldn't have shaved either.

And I still think they are just unsanitary. And science backs me up. Your legs, underarms, chest, pubic area, etc. don't generally come in contact with food, so they are not subject to that additional bacteria.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2017, 06:19 AM

6,112 posts, read 3,927,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mideto View Post
Look at good looking actors in Hollywood who decide to grow beards every once in a while, even the ones who have good beard genetics, look ten times better when they are clean shaven. If you have a patchy beard, is even worse, why would you try to make yourself less attractive?

Biggest example of this, is Keanu Reeves. He looks like a hobo with his patchy beard.

Look at Brad Pitt, considered one of the best looking man alive, he looks terrible with a beard, so how can you, an average guy, expect to look good with a beard. The only way you are going to look better with a beard than clean shaven, is if you have imperfections in your face, such as a weak jaw or double chin, scars, etc. The beard will disguise these, thus, making you look better.

That doesn't mean every guy looks better with beard, not even Brad Pitt looks better with a beard, is just YOU.

Hence the saying that beard is like makeup for men lol

I've done the full beard look, goatee and clean shaven. I get the most attention and looks from the opposite sex when I'm clean shaving, not only that, it makes you less threatening or intimidating, more friendly looking. Many guys like myself, already have masculine facial features, which gives you the serious brooding look, if you add a beard to your face, it makes you look more intimidating.
Your theory is is highly flawed. There are too many exceptions, and the two actors you chose are poor examples since they have poor facial hair genetics. Brad Pitt's has always been scruffy and discolored, whereas Keanu reeves can't even grow one.

Here's some famous pin-ups who look even better with facial hair:

David Beckham

George Michael

Colin Farrell

Adam Levine

Ben Affleck

Ryan Gosling

Bradley Cooper

Hugh Jackman

Justin Timberlake

Chris Hemsworth

Kit Harrington

Jason Statham

Michael Fassbender

etc...

Last edited by Razza94; 01-30-2017 at 06:39 AM..

Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 AM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurider2002 View Post
Personally I think most guys under 40 look better with a beard but so many people in our culture feel the need to comment on a guy's beard. Why?
Great question. I'm 30, have had a beard since age 18/19, and for many years I'd get beard-related comments on a just about daily basis. I'm actually thankful that beards have risen in popularity over the past few years, because what I've lost in 'rebelliousness' I've gained in sweet anonymity

Old 01-30-2017, 06:34 AM

5,493 posts, read 3,934,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
As a woman, I will chime in. I absolutely HATE beards - well, facial hair in general. Some men can pull off a short beard, but it's not many.

I just think they are horribly unattractive and kind of germ factories. I see people wipe food off of them when eating and then go about their business. On a smooth face (like any smooth service), it's much easier to clean. But there's bacteria hiding in that beard that you're not going to get to without some serious soap and water, especially those ridiculous hipster beards. And if you're not going to shower or do a serious face washing for 12 hours, stuff's going to fester in there. Gross. There was even a study done that proved this to be true.
Oh, you mean this study?

Growing A Beard May Protect Men From Bacteria And Their Infections, Thus Promoting Good Health

confirmation bias gonna confirmation bias...

Old 01-30-2017, 07:14 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
I have worn a goatee most of my adult life.

http://styloss.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/920.jpg

http://rightinthemustache.com/wp-con.../selleck-2.jpg

Old 01-30-2017, 08:35 AM

8,007 posts, read 10,434,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
Oh, you mean this study?

Growing A Beard May Protect Men From Bacteria And Their Infections, Thus Promoting Good Health

confirmation bias gonna confirmation bias...
Your Hipster Beard May Have More Fecal Matter Than A Dirty Toilet, But Is It Really Unhygienic?

Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,984,458 times
Quote:

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"
I agree 100%. Only those men look better with a beard who aren't attractive.

I call it the terrorist look.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:40 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,566,007 times
Quote:
It seems every douchebag is growing a beard just to grow a beard, as if the act of having facial hair defines what it means to be a man. Growing a beard does not in any way automatically grant you some magical gift of manly toughness. And just because a man is clean shaven doesn’t mean he’s any less of a man.

I swear, I can go to Walmart, the mall, a convenience store and at least 90% of guys have a beard. Most of them are patchy, don't have the right density and coverage and it simply does not suit them, it looks terrible. Yet, in their minds, they are convinced or better put, deluded that they look more handsome, more alpha, macho, masculine, etc. lmao

Notice how the "bearded" men, are the first ones to make fun of guys who shave, and call them, girls or boys, or even worse, make fun of guys who cannot grow beards. It comes from insecurity, low self esteem and feelings of inadequacy. This bearded fella doesn't realize the fact that he makes fun of clean shaven men, proves that he is insecure, which is not a manly quality.

A modern guy between 18 and 30 years old? You can bet he has some facial hair going. Almost, as if is a given. They grow their beards to prove their manliness, but it is actually having the opposite effect now.

This happens when everyone follows the same trend, it loses its appeal, it becomes a negative thing. Imagine if achieving a muscular ripped body was as easy as taking a pill, every schmook down the street would look like a fitness model, and it would completely lose the appeal it has on society, women, media, etc.

Many men say that they look better with a beard. If you look better with a beard, then I'm sorry, but it means you are ugly. The beard is covering imperfections in your face, such as double chin, recessive chin, weak jaw, scars, acne spots, fat cheeks, etc. You're basically saying "I look better with a third of my face covered"
1) well who cares what you think - its not like you are important.
2) beards existed in men for hundreds of thousands of years before beard cutting tools were invented. Beard is a default. Shaving, or any other preening, is just a cultural phenomenon (and not performed in all cultures therefore).
3) Don't say "I'm sorry but" - makes you sound like a pansy.

Old 01-30-2017, 09:12 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarnivalGal View Post
A lot of people are pointing out that historically beards were very common. A lot of men had beards, including Jesus. The difference is that it was a matter of not really having a choice. Now that we have things like running water, indoor plumbing, and efficient razors readily available, it's much easier to shave. If I had to use a knife down by the river, I probably wouldn't have shaved either.

And I still think they are just unsanitary. And science backs me up. Your legs, underarms, chest, pubic area, etc. don't generally come in contact with food, so they are not subject to that additional bacteria.

"Knife down by the river!" You are hilarious! I agree that they "can" be unsanitary, but I don't think all closely-shaven beards are. ZZ-top ones, definitely! My ex had a closely-shaven one because he had a weak chin. When he shaved it, he looked awful. But, I thought it smelled a little though he claimed to wash it everyday, so I quit kissing him.

I like the stubble look, ever since "Miami Vice" started it back in the 80's. I don't like it to go beyond a week though. I hope it gives guys a break from daily raking "a knife" across their face. My husband gets a kind of razor-rash and I think he looks good with stubble, so we are both happy. It is partly gray though so beyond a week is no bueno.

Those pictures of movie stars above are ALL extremely good-looking guys anyway. I'm sure they look fab without the beard too. They just lucked out in the genetic game so look good no matter what. I'd take Hugh Jackman any day.

EXCEPT Brad Pitt. So good-looking and seemingly determined to ruin it by sporting that old-man 2 inch goatee. What a rebel!

I feel bad for you guys having to shave everyday. I've given it up myself and still waiting for someone to notice!

Last edited by Sand&Salt; 01-30-2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: misspelling

Old 01-30-2017, 09:13 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,653,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanderbiltgrad View Post
Jesus had a beard

Have we ever seen Jesus without a beard?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty