Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 09:51 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,205,739 times

Advertisements

Size 14 and an 8 or 9 shoe are huge! Yikes! (Consider wearing men's clothes. They start at XL and go to XXXXL, and pants have true inseams no shorter than 32" which 33" inseam is by definition Klinefelter's Syndrome). Things are pretty unisex these days so it shouldn't be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2017, 10:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Size 14 and an 8 or 9 shoe are huge! Yikes! (Consider wearing men's clothes. They start at XL and go to XXXXL, and pants have true inseams no shorter than 32" which 33" inseam is by definition Klinefelter's Syndrome). Things are pretty unisex these days so it shouldn't be a problem.
Uh, no? All around, no.

Old 09-04-2017, 10:54 PM

10,908 posts, read 7,402,055 times
I suspect that the store clerks see you coming in the door and rush to hide everything in your size. I'm sure they do that to me.

And I wear an 18, but have an "apple" figure--thick waist, narrow hips. At about size 16, they decide that you have a humongous heinie and hips (compared to waist size), so everything balloons around my posterior. I find men's pants fit me better than women's!

Old 09-04-2017, 11:47 PM

1,082 posts, read 1,913,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
god i hope this is a troll

Old 09-04-2017, 11:48 PM

1,022 posts, read 1,255,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
I suspect that the store clerks see you coming in the door and rush to hide everything in your size. I'm sure they do that to me.
Lol, that's exactly how I feel! No matter what size I am, THAT is the one missing. I went from 14 to 10 and now around 12. I see plenty of 10s and 14s now.

On top of that, size selection is just not in line with the specific model. E.g. Something that clearly won't look good beyond size 6 is, of course, abundant in large size. But something that would be flattering even for the larger sizes is, of course, only available in 0 and 6.

Sometimes I think I need a size 0-6 shopping partner, maybe then at least one of us gets lucky.

Old 09-05-2017, 02:25 AM

21,549 posts, read 8,731,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My mom thinks they don't fit her for those reasons, unless we cut out the size tags out before we give them to her and say it just looked like it might be the right size. Then they fit perfectly.
That's funny!

Old 09-05-2017, 03:33 AM

19,848 posts, read 12,113,717 times
I just do most of my clothes shopping online. Gap and Banana Republic offer free shipping and no hassle free returns. Either that or local resale shops.

Old 09-05-2017, 03:50 AM

1,198 posts, read 661,870 times
I also have a very hard time finding size 4s which is what I generally wear (sometimes slightly smaller or larger). Many stores start at size 6. I've had to resort to clothes made for teens/younger women at times (I am a 45 year old post surgically menopausal woman). I've been up and down the ladder throughout the years as someone with an eating disorder, and have been anywhere from size 00 (extremely hard to find thankfully), to size 10. I don't remember having trouble finding the size 10s, but often I have landed in the odd size zone (ie 3 or 5) and that is a nightmare to deal with.

Old 09-05-2017, 05:21 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,591,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
You are probably going to laugh (or cry) at this but...

I am 5'3" and until I started going through menopause about 9 months ago, I weighed around 105 lbs. Sometimes 100 lbs, sometimes 110 lbs but rarely. Depending on the brand, I wore anything from a size 0-size 4. I remember having a rough time finding clothing because it seemed that the clothes started at size 5 or 6, lol. At any rate I hated shopping for clothing and really swore when it was time for shoes because I wear a 5AAA and have flat feet

So fast forward to now and I packed on 30 lbs with the menopause and now find myself in a size 12. I have the dubious honor of being the only woman in my family that wears a double-digit size. Now it is hard to find a size 12. I am thoroughly convinced that the fashion industry and the stores think that all women are between a size 5 and a size 9 and wear at least a size 8 shoe. Based on what I see...I can't think otherwise

A size 14 is the average size and by no means is part of the "largesse". The fashion industry is famously out-of-touch from the reality of how women's bodies really look and creates impossible standards. Women's bodies are SUPPOSED to have curves and shape...and yes, generally they need to be bigger than a size 2 or 4 to look curvaceous

I modeled for a number of years when I was younger and even then never understood why I would get heat from the agency when I allowed myself to gain a couple of pounds (which actually made me look better). The entire fashion industry is unhealthy for body image IMO. I never had the issues but I knew a couple of other girls who would go without eating to get even thinner.

And to your other point, yes, there are a lot of clothes left over at the end of the season. I have a friend who is in the magical size 5-7 range and she makes out like a bandit at the end of season clearance sales.
Generally, but not always. I am 5'1", and used to wear mostly 2s and 4s, and sometimes even a 1. I was plenty curvaceous, but then I am also very small-boned, and, before menopause, carried all my weight in my butt, thighs, and breasts. To be anything like stick-straight, I would have had to weigh about 85 lbs, not that I was interested in going there. The problem I had with a lot of clothes at that size was that the assumption seemed to be that no woman that small would have ANY curves - pants that fit my butt were almost always too big around the waist. Buying straight skirts or fitted dresses was a nightmare. When I found a brand that fit properly, I stuck to it like glue. It also seemed to me that lots of stores would get maybe one or two of each item in those smaller sizes, if they carried them at all.

Several years, pounds, and sizes later, I would love to have those problems to complain about! *sigh*

I have no idea about Costco, but if you are looking for nice things in larger sizes, OP, I would suggest Lane Bryant, or if you want something trendier, Torrid. I admired the clothes in both stores long before I could wear any of them.

Old 09-05-2017, 07:00 AM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
I'm a size 2 and there any many times my size is out of stock. Just today I tried to order 3 different pairs of dress pants and all 3 were out of stock in size 0-4

I personally notice more 8's-12's then it seems scarce after that, like you pointed out
Same here - I can rarely/never find 0 or 2 (or decent girls' 14 for that matter) - I think the stores get such a small amount of stock in small sizes that it goes quick.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty