Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:41 AM

3,175 posts, read 3,656,991 times

Advertisements

Save them until I face the fact I am never going to be small again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 01:00 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
I have the opposite problem. I have devil of a time finding sizes for my wife at Christmas, Birthday, and Anniversary time. She's a petite XS. There are usually one or two of them here and there, but jeez.

One of my humorous experiences when we were first married was Christmas shopping for her at the mall. Being a typical young male, I went to the Woman's Sizes section, thinking "Well, I'm in th right place. She's a woman, right?" AhhhhWrong!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:25 PM

7,649 posts, read 4,606,610 times
My wife is petite. In our neck of the woods, the majority of the population is smaller and petite, so the 0-4 range runs out first, but there's plenty of plus sizes (for the stores that carry them), but when we travel to to my homefront she always loves that her sizes are normally available as most people are bigger and taller.

The one thing that I'd suggest is to get a good alterations person. Many clothes can be made smaller, and further refined to get the look you want if the alterations person has skill. If you're a size 2 and you're looking at high end brands that are closing out, getting the 6 at 80% off and putting more money into it to make it fit still ends up being a decent investment.

Old 09-07-2017, 01:58 PM

15,145 posts, read 27,800,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artillery77 View Post
My wife is petite. In our neck of the woods, the majority of the population is smaller and petite, so the 0-4 range runs out first, but there's plenty of plus sizes (for the stores that carry them), but when we travel to to my homefront she always loves that her sizes are normally available as most people are bigger and taller.

The one thing that I'd suggest is to get a good alterations person. Many clothes can be made smaller, and further refined to get the look you want if the alterations person has skill. If you're a size 2 and you're looking at high end brands that are closing out, getting the 6 at 80% off and putting more money into it to make it fit still ends up being a decent investment.
Same here - in my area there is a large number of a population that is generally tiny and petite so I have a hard time find small sizes - when I go back to where I grew up I usually can find lots!

Old 09-07-2017, 01:59 PM

524 posts, read 575,080 times
I think there must be truth to stores not having a say in what sizes they get. I went shopping last night for a last minute dress. The middle sizes were all gone, but I would think that most people here fit in the middle sizes (tall and athletic). I am neither tall nor athletic, so my size is usually still available.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:11 PM

2,496 posts, read 1,874,117 times
I walked into a Ross the other day, looking for skirts. Lots and lots of skirts in 4-6-8-10, definitely thinning out in 12 and 14, and there were a grand total of 4 in size 16. One looked like a gunny sack and the other three were mini skirts....really short mini skirts. I don't know about the rest of my fellow size 16's, but there's no way these thighs are going on display in a very short mini skirt, especially at the advanced age of 70. The other racks of clothing follow suit: I can have flowered blouses, huge bat-wing t-shirts with attached necklaces, wide leg jeans and loose shorts with elastic waists.

I don't understand why buyers don't realize that there are a lot of ladies of....um....mature years and...um....of extra poundage who have a fair amount of discretionary income and would like to look stylish - not to dress either like my 90-something mother or the part-time hootchie-mama hooker who lives across the street. Now, granted, if I had MORE discretionary income I COULD do my shopping in the really high-priced shops and come out looking like a million dollars, but I need to do it for one heck of a lot less than the million dollars.....I don't have THAT much discretionary income.

C'mon guys.....I'm out here and I have some money to spend. Give me something to spend it on!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:27 PM

521 posts, read 733,830 times
I'm a size 0 and have no idea what you are talking about. I feel like I can never find my size at the end of the season in clothes or size 5-6 shoes. I usually shop online and it's often sold out with the larger sizes still available for the good sale price.

Old 09-07-2017, 10:53 PM

102,218 posts, read 107,977,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinbrookNine View Post
Size 14 and an 8 or 9 shoe are huge! Yikes! (Consider wearing men's clothes. They start at XL and go to XXXXL, and pants have true inseams no shorter than 32" which 33" inseam is by definition Klinefelter's Syndrome). Things are pretty unisex these days so it shouldn't be a problem.
What? Those shoes aren't "huge"; they're normal for taller women. Anyone around 5'6" and taller.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:41 AM

1,879 posts, read 1,072,443 times
I see mostly larger sizes 12, 14, and up in stores around here. Not even 8 or 10's anymore. There aren't enough smaller sizes such as 0, 2, 4, or XS. I'm not a petite. Petites are for women who are short and I'm not short.

I used to buy some clothing online but stopped doing that because the sizing is so erratic. I have pants in my closet ranging from size 0 to size 6. I have tops ranging from XS to Large. I decided not to bother buying online anymore.

Old 09-08-2017, 08:45 AM

1,110 posts, read 897,305 times
I think that we can all agree that the clothing industry is in disarray (no pun intended). Designers are not targeting key populations such as mature petite and large women, and manufacturers are not stocking the sizes based on markets. When I worked for the government, they used something called "tariff sizing," which was based on population measurements and distribution of these measurements, which amounted to a bell shaped curve. These days, the curve probably skews rightward.

Tariff sizing examples: 20% of the population is size 10, 2% are size 4, etc., with the percentage representing the tariff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty