Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2017, 11:21 AM

840 posts, read 1,121,055 times

Advertisements

Banana Republic has their own label. But it aggravates me that every time I shop there, I have to dig through a huge pile of extra small and small to get to a medium size. Then there are only a small amount of medium sizes. Sometimes only one or two mediums in a particular color. I would think Banana Republic could control the amount of clothing for each size that they have made.

Banana Republic has a lot of folded items on tables. I like to reverse the order placing the teeny sizes on the bottom of the stack and the larger sizes on top!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2017, 06:50 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am the size of the average U.S. woman, a size 14, which is considered fat by fashion standards, but I am 5 feet 8 inches tall. I went to Costco the other day, and no matter what clothing item I looked at, there were plenty of size 2s, 4s, and 6s, with 10s and 12s starting to thin out, some size 14s, and forget it beyond that. If I were a Costco buying executive, I would make sure that the average women's size was amply provided for (pun intended). I am certain that plenty of the smaller sizes are unsold at the end of the season. This does not make good business sense. Everyone (including other shops) is operating under the"fashion" paradigm, which caters to and values thin people, but ignores the reality of the American largesse. I sense that the U.S. has a tremendous waste of excess clothes at the end of every fashion season.

With shoes, the shops are a little better, because fat feet are less of an issue. I wear the U.S. average size for a woman, which is about an 8 or 9, and generally have no problem finding shoes in my size.

Send them back to China?

Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,487,964 times
I find that a store never has the size I wear if it's something I REALLY like.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:47 PM

1,573 posts, read 2,926,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
I find that a store never has the size I wear if it's something I REALLY like.
I am still finding my size after losing 90 pounds .My whole body shape is different now than it has ever been. I never had thin legs and always had large wide hips. Well my hips are still some what wide but it is bone under the surface not fat on top. Legs are actually kind of skinny to what I am used to. My waist was 26 in high school now it is 27 bust 38 hips 37. I do have a large frame like my Dad. Wide shoulders. My Moms side of the family women are all wide hipped. So I guess I do look like a linebacker too when I was heavier. LOL My Mom Aunt and I were standing together in a photo hip to hip and our shoulders were not touching because I was in the middle. We laughed about trying to get all of us in the photo.

Old 09-07-2017, 07:08 AM

19,809 posts, read 9,371,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
I am still finding my size after losing 90 pounds .My whole body shape is different now than it has ever been. I never had thin legs and always had large wide hips. Well my hips are still some what wide but it is bone under the surface not fat on top. Legs are actually kind of skinny to what I am used to. My waist was 26 in high school now it is 27 bust 38 hips 37. I do have a large frame like my Dad. Wide shoulders. My Moms side of the family women are all wide hipped. So I guess I do look like a linebacker too when I was heavier. LOL My Mom Aunt and I were standing together in a photo hip to hip and our shoulders were not touching because I was in the middle. We laughed about trying to get all of us in the photo.
Congratulations on losing all that weight!! GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Old 09-07-2017, 08:09 AM

6,191 posts, read 7,360,127 times
Not enough tall/small sizes around at stores either. And many stores start at 6L, which is often too big on me.

I also could use a 10.5 shoe since apparently most companies thing women have feet that magically start going up whole sizes after size 10.

Old 09-07-2017, 08:54 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,981,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
I am the size of the average U.S. woman, a size 14, which is considered fat by fashion standards, but I am 5 feet 8 inches tall. I went to Costco the other day, and no matter what clothing item I looked at, there were plenty of size 2s, 4s, and 6s, with 10s and 12s starting to thin out, some size 14s, and forget it beyond that. If I were a Costco buying executive, I would make sure that the average women's size was amply provided for (pun intended). I am certain that plenty of the smaller sizes are unsold at the end of the season. This does not make good business sense. Everyone (including other shops) is operating under the"fashion" paradigm, which caters to and values thin people, but ignores the reality of the American largesse. I sense that the U.S. has a tremendous waste of excess clothes at the end of every fashion season.

With shoes, the shops are a little better, because fat feet are less of an issue. I wear the U.S. average size for a woman, which is about an 8 or 9, and generally have no problem finding shoes in my size.
what does height have to do with size 14? Fat feet are average, huh? I hardly know any women who have such big shoe sizes besides me. I am in Cali, maybe that's why.

Well, there are plenty of immigrants whose average size in their country is 8-10, which is 4-6 in the US. So if you would go overseas, you would have a hard time finding clothes, especially in Asia.

I have the average size 8-10 in Europe, can hardly fit in any clothes in Italy for example because they are too short and tight, but here in the US I am seen as slim, size 4-6. And I am 5'11" if need to bring height into it and I have the same size shoes as you, 9.

So believe me, there are lots of outsiders here in the US who buy the normal sized clothes.

Old 09-07-2017, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shades_of_idaho View Post
Yes, congrats on the weight loss. I lost 70+ myself and am dealing with clothes issues. My "transitional" clothes from last year are now too big but I'm still gonna wear them, with a belt.

Digressing from your post, I'm wondering why a woman's shoe size was brought into this topic. One can't control their foot size and while taller people tend to have longer feet, that is not always the case. My mom wears an 8.5 and she's only 5'2. I frankly don't care that my foot is long and narrow, I can't diet away toes. My 11 year old daughter looks like she's going to have long, double narrow feet like me. Oh well!

Old 09-07-2017, 10:59 AM

1,347 posts, read 946,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riaelise View Post
Digressing from your post, I'm wondering why a woman's shoe size was brought into this topic. One can't control their foot size and while taller people tend to have longer feet, that is not always the case. My mom wears an 8.5 and she's only 5'2. I frankly don't care that my foot is long and narrow, I can't diet away toes. My 11 year old daughter looks like she's going to have long, double narrow feet like me. Oh well!
My shoe size is 6 or 6.5, which I always thought was around the "average" size (often one of the first to sell out, like OP is finding with her clothing size) but maybe I need to re-examine that assumption (quick google searches say anywhere between 7 and 9). I've recently noticed there are a lot of late elementary/pre-teen girls with feet that are already as big or bigger than mine.

Old 09-07-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyDancer View Post
My shoe size is 6 or 6.5, which I always thought was around the "average" size (often one of the first to sell out, like OP is finding with her clothing size) but maybe I need to re-examine that assumption (quick google searches say anywhere between 7 and 9). I've recently noticed there are a lot of late elementary/pre-teen girls with feet that are already as big or bigger than mine.
who knows. to be honest I never really paid attention to foot size, only that I was bigger than average. it is what it is. both of my daughters though will in all likelihood be tall (my youngest is already 49/50" and she's 6 years old) so it doesn't surprise me that their foot won't be all that small either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty