Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2017, 12:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times

Advertisements

I think booties and bare legs with summer and spring attire is a terrible look.

I dislike booties overall. Full on boots, fine, if it's cool enough to warrant them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2017, 01:43 PM

12,045 posts, read 8,429,550 times
I have long legs and I think booties with bare legs cut into my silhouette in an unflattering way. This isn't the first time around. I wore a pair of white ones with a dress in the Sixties. Young. I'd never wear them in the summer now.

I'm currently looking for a navy blue leather winter pair and do I ever have gripes! What's with the cutouts? What's with all the suede (almost to the exclusion of leather?) You can't wear either sensibly in MN in the Winter.

I like the appearance of suede but know very few climates where it can be worn without soon looking pitiful.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:32 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
Unfortunately, probably thanks to Uggs being worn in the summer with miniskirts a couple years ago.
I wear Bearpaws. I usually don't do skirts but jeans. No need to have to do a dress.

I buy a new pair end of the summer. It sits waiting for winter. I wear the old pair doing gardening and outside/dirty stuff work, or just lounging. I try to keep the lining fluffy as long as possible when its cold.

In the summer, if I have to do a lot of standing, I wear the last winter's pair. If they are still good, and I have an older pair usable for garden use, I save them for cold days. But they don't do so well getting wet.

I like wearing my old pair, still presentable, over jeans in summer. My feet hate shoes which are mostly straps, or have heals. The compressed wool isn't hot, but padds your step, and mine doesn't hurt that way.

I don't think of them as fashion, but feet which feel good. I like them over jeans in the summer. And the lining doesn't overheat your feet when its hot, as the whole boot is natual products, not plastic.

My fashion is comfortable.

Old 11-17-2017, 03:44 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,265,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I don't care for most booties with shorts or dresses, such outfit looks 'unfinished' to me. Except when the booties are open toe, because to me they look more like some sort of extreme sandal in that case, and I actually think they can be sort of sexy in a foot fetish kind of way. They definitely need to come up over the ankle a bit though, otherwise the look doesn't really work IMO.

I think these work
http://6uh9u7hhy8-flywheel.netdna-ss...her-Clutch.jpg
https://cdn.cliqueinc.com/posts/img/...nal.640x0c.jpg
a lot better than something like these
https://www.polyvore.com/cgi/img-thi...l&tid=29047333
http://www.addspacetoyourlife.com/wp...25-215x300.jpg
I don't do sandels anymore. They and their little straps dig in and hurt and my arch issues and toe issues make them pretty miserable. Something which was like a Bearpaw/Ugg boot foot with the soft lining and open toes would be okay, going just past the ankle. They'd have to be tight enough to stay on too.

I have an extensive collection of boots, including English hightop riding boots, and mostly get a comfortable shoe for when needed, usually a slipper.

Old 11-17-2017, 04:35 PM

2,036 posts, read 3,353,068 times
I don't like booties with the toes out, and i HATE them with the heels out. As one poster said, I just dont get it. I know it's for style but they're not for me. And i've heard them called "shooties" on TV before, and that bothers me even more!! LOL

I wear Uggs for comfort. I wear them when it's a BIT warmer out because they are comfortable in any weather with the natural lining. They don't make the feet sweat OR freeze. But i dont wear them with shorts or skirts.

Old 11-18-2017, 03:40 AM

3,143 posts, read 2,660,994 times
You're talking about shoes. I thought you were talking about something else. All I saw was "booties year around"

I got excited for nothing.

Old 11-18-2017, 08:41 AM

11,936 posts, read 13,114,080 times
Quote:
Unfortunately, probably thanks to Uggs being worn in the summer with miniskirts a couple years ago.
Uggs were invented for surfers in warm weather. They were never meant to be cold weather boots in their original conception.

Surfers developed them to keep their toes warm after getting out of the cold ocean.

Yes, of course you can wear booties all year long. Boots have long since evolved past the snow/cold weather thing.

Old 11-18-2017, 10:36 AM

12,843 posts, read 869,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
Open-toe booties need to die a horrible death soon. Pretty quickly, we'll see open-toed Hunter Rain boots. How about open-toe Uggs? That would take the cake

Regular ankle booties are cute though
Since Hunter Rain boots were mentioned, I have a burning yet unimportant question about them:
Are they for wearing in all types of weather and not just in wet weather or working in the garden?

My daughter (36) has a pair and she wears them even when it's not raining or snowing. She wears them a lot! She also wears them pretty much all year except when it's super hot. I asked her once why she wears them so much and she said: It's ok because they're Hunter's. Yeah well, they're still a pair of rubber boots, to me anyway.

Hmm... maybe I'm too old (64) to get it, but I think it looks absolutely ridiculous to wear them in public so much. They look like either rain boots or garden boots, so are they? Does anyone here wear them all the time? Thanks!

Last edited by rainydayparis; 11-18-2017 at 12:02 PM..

Old 11-18-2017, 03:59 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,508,468 times
I've seen them all year round. I think of them more like boots. And I really dislike that they are commonly called "booties" because booties make me think of baby clothes. I'd rather they were called "mini boots" or something. It just feels like it infantilizes women. But I'm obviously not in the majority since they *are* called "booties"

Quote:
Open-toed booties make as much sense as sleeveless turtlenecks.
Sleeveless turtlenecks make way more sense to me. Wear them under sweaters, like warmer "dickies"

Old 11-18-2017, 04:19 PM

1,796 posts, read 1,662,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceKrispy View Post
I've seen them all year round. I think of them more like boots. And I really dislike that they are commonly called "booties" because booties make me think of baby clothes. I'd rather they were called "mini boots" or something. It just feels like it infantilizes women. But I'm obviously not in the majority since they *are* called "booties"

Sleeveless turtlenecks make way more sense to me. Wear them under sweaters, like warmer "dickies"
But then, to my mind, a "sleeveless turtleneck" is more like a scarf. I have no idea why younger humans make the fashion choices that they do. My mantra is: be comfortable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty