Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2018, 10:44 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times

Advertisements

So I just had a conversation with a female friend of mine (I am female also). I explained to her that lately I'd been wearing my hair in a low ponytail, and as such men don't notice me. I shared with her that I put my hair up in a high bun for the first time yesterday and men started noticing me. She informed me that it is well-established that men don't like women with buns. That it's all over the internet and even the men in her office say how they don't like buns on women. I told her I have never heard from men in my life that they don't like hair buns on women. I hear woman say they don't like man buns, but I never have heard a man say that he doesn't like buns on women.

Not only did men started checking me out since I put my hair up in this way, they were more polite to me and opened doors for me. For some reason this hair change made me stand out whereas it seems men didn't notice me at all with a simple low ponytail.

So, I'd like to hear from the men here. Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you find hair buns on women particularly unattractive? Now I am curious.

ETA: Buns seem to be a big trend now, and I see a lot of styles that I think are pretty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2018, 10:49 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Some men love the librarian look. Your hair must have looked very nice, don’t listen to your friend.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:52 AM

3,421 posts, read 5,216,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debsi View Post
Some men love the librarian look. Your hair must have looked very nice, don’t listen to your friend.
But a lot of the bun style that are trendy lately are very pretty and don't look librarian at all. I guess it looked nice, since it got me noticed. I just wasn't aware that buns are universally hated by men.

Old 07-26-2018, 10:56 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
So I just had a conversation with a female friend of mine (I am female also). I explained to her that lately I'd been wearing my hair in a low ponytail, and as such men don't notice me. I shared with her that I put my hair up in a high bun for the first time yesterday and men started noticing me. She informed me that it is well-established that men don't like women with buns. That it's all over the internet and even the men in her office say how they don't like buns on women. I told her I have never heard from men in my life that they don't like hair buns on women. I hear woman say they don't like man buns, but I never have heard a man say that he doesn't like buns on women.
Ask her for sources.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:08 AM

20,757 posts, read 19,951,234 times
Quote:

Not only did men started checking me out since I put my hair up in this way, they were more polite to me and opened doors for me. For some reason this hair change made me stand out whereas it seems men didn't notice me at all with a simple low ponytail.

So, I'd like to hear from the men here. Do you have any thoughts on this? Do you find hair buns on women particularly unattractive? Now I am curious.

ETA: Buns seem to be a big trend now, and I see a lot of styles that I think are pretty.
Woman here but still think my opinion qualifies .... LOW ponytails are not very attractive IMO - they kinda look sloppy. I mostly see those low tails on women working in their yard or wearing hippie stuff. A woman who takes pride in her appearance usually wears it up, not low.

I heard a man say before that young women put their tail up and old women wear it low, because they don't care anymore, haha.

Question, do we only compare low ponytails to buns or also wearing hair without anything? IMO men find it most sexy and feminine if a hair just flows naturally.

However, I noticed men look at me more if I wear a ponytail and a ball cap. No idea why. I don't even have a good hat face.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:16 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Eh, it is just part of the whole package. I doubt there will be many men who actually care. It is not like short hair (like that awful pixie cut thing) where there are plenty of men who do not like it on women. I doubt many men are going to dismiss a woman they find attractive based on having her otherwise long hair in a bun.

Who was in, Marilyn Monroe? About saying she could even look good wearing a potato sack. Well, same concept.

Old 07-26-2018, 11:27 AM

12,229 posts, read 21,492,577 times
Quote:
I just wasn't aware that buns are universally hated by men.
I said don’t listen to your friend because that’s not true. You can find internet pages about hating anything.

Old 07-26-2018, 12:26 PM

1,262 posts, read 1,300,819 times
I don't have a problem with women who wear a bun as log as:

1) It is their real hair (fake buns always look fake).

2) The bun doesn't look like their hair is saying, "My owner is a poor planner and perpetually late, so she twisted her hair up and pushed a rod threw it to hold most of it". These, "I'm a mess", buns look about as nice as the amount of time you spent on it - not very much.

A women who has a neck, the longer the better, looks great in a well done bun. Unless she has a neck tattoo, grrr...

Old 07-26-2018, 12:32 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I am a guy, and I like the look of hair up in a bun.

I also like the look of it down.

Or, short and neatly styled.

Or, long braids shot through with grey.

Or, in its natural frizz

Pretty much anything, really, except that weird traffic-cone orange stiff overly styled look.

Old 07-26-2018, 01:00 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
When I was getting ready to marry my second husband, I was thinking about wearing my hair 'up' for the special occasion. So prior to our wedding I had an appointment to have my hair styled up, in a bun.

And then I went and modeled it for my future husband.

My sweetie hardly ever criticizes anything about my appearance, but he asked me NOT to wear my hair up, but just to wear it like I always did, which was a medium to long hair style.

All that said, I think a bun can look super classy and sophisticated, which I'm assuming is the vibe you were throwing OP.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty