Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 10:42 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,350,394 times

Advertisements

As we age many of us start to have less full eyebrows. I'm in my mid 50's. In the past year I've started to use a simple eyebrow pencil and brush to fill in some of the missing and lighter hairs. I think it makes a difference. It maybe that my hair is still dark brunette with minimal gray so my lighter, less full brows are more noticeable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2018, 11:21 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
This is what I would do for myself, if I wanted to spend the money. But I can’t justify it. I’d rather travel and do some charitable giving.

But if I was wealthy enough, I’d have work done on my chin, and have some lipo done.

But even if OP does not have the discretionary income to do this, there are things she can do to look better.

And, I might be wrong, but isn’t Botox more affordable now? So that might be an option. She could ask a dermatologist about it, I think.
I used to get some Botox but it never worked for me. If you already HAVE the lines, it won't get rid of them. Pretty expensive since it is not permanent. I tend to think getting some "work" done can be amortized by then not spending the big bucks on all those over-priced anti-aging gimmick products.

Just FYI, there is "Care Credit" for doing payments for getting work done.

Old 08-17-2018, 11:52 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,993,273 times
Here’s my take on having work done. I’m sure some plastic surgery is undetectable, but most is obvious, especially after a decade or so goes by. It seems to me that if you take a 60 year old and stretch her face, it is hard to tell if she’s 60 or 80.
If I could afford it, I might get the eye bags fixed, but otherwise, I’d prefer a face that reflects my life.

Old 08-17-2018, 05:12 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Here’s my take on having work done. I’m sure some plastic surgery is undetectable, but most is obvious, especially after a decade or so goes by. It seems to me that if you take a 60 year old and stretch her face, it is hard to tell if she’s 60 or 80.
If I could afford it, I might get the eye bags fixed, but otherwise, I’d prefer a face that reflects my life.

Same here....

Old 08-17-2018, 05:18 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Two words: under wire. Hike up the “girls”.

I agree about hair color. Mine has gone mousy drab unless I get it highlighted.
I have eyes that are very sensitive to makeup too. I like Nutrogena tinted moisturizer. It’s light and doesn’t bother my eyes. The sunscreen in it is supposed to protect the skin from aging, but truthfully, that ship has sailed for me. Mascara and eyeliner, and lipstick and I’m presentable.

I try to wear tops in colors that liven up my eyes and complexion, and

I like to wear interesting earrings. I figure if I can’t be gorgeous anymore, at least I can be eccentric.

LOL....me too.

Love earrings...updated jewelry helps with a younger look.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:07 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,279,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
As we age many of us start to have less full eyebrows. I'm in my mid 50's. In the past year I've started to use a simple eyebrow pencil and brush to fill in some of the missing and lighter hairs. I think it makes a difference. It maybe that my hair is still dark brunette with minimal gray so my lighter, less full brows are more noticeable to me.
As I’ve aged my brows have taken on an ashy look. I’ve found the best pick me up for my brows is to take an eyebrow brush and spray root touch up spray on it then brush my brows. It looks natural and lasts all day.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:01 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am in my 50's and I think I look much older than my years, not sure why. Any tips would be appreciated. I am more interested in beauty tips rather than fashion tips, although both are helpful.

I am medium build, brunette, growing out a bad, short haircut, I am kind of pale. I don't wear much makeup because my eyes are super sensitve, but I think I need to wear more. I should probably lose maybe 5 pounds.
My best advice (I did not read anyone else's because I did not want to be influenced)

1. Have a make up consultation with a hypoallergenic make up company.

2. Stay hydrated. Drink 10 eight oz. glasses of water per week.

3. Get eyelash extensions. Obviously hypoallergenic ones. You will look made up in the AM. Makes like SO much easier.

4. Get a consultation for your hair. Hair longer than chin length, with swing gives a youthful look. Stay away from perms and helmet hair. Color consultation, too. Grey hair can look stunning. However, it makes most women look old.

5. Those 5 lbs? Lose them. Lift arm weights.

6. If you can find a fashion consultant in your area, use them.

7. Avail yourself of non surgical, procedures that are available at your dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon.
Jowls and a double chin are quick, relatively inexpensive fixes. Laser resurfacing, chemical peels, and other minor procedures can make yo look less tired and younger. Same for Botox. No one looks young and happy with an "11" in the middle of their brows.

8. Speaking of brows - the Brow Bar at Ulta will shape your brows, thin them or fill them is, as needed.

I like the Exuvience line - also available at Ulta. See if they agree with you.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,484,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
My best advice (I did not read anyone else's because I did not want to be influenced)

1. Have a make up consultation with a hypoallergenic make up company.

2. Stay hydrated. Drink 10 eight oz. glasses of water per week.

3. Get eyelash extensions. Obviously hypoallergenic ones. You will look made up in the AM. Makes like SO much easier.

4. Get a consultation for your hair. Hair longer than chin length, with swing gives a youthful look. Stay away from perms and helmet hair. Color consultation, too. Grey hair can look stunning. However, it makes most women look old.

5. Those 5 lbs? Lose them. Lift arm weights.

6. If you can find a fashion consultant in your area, use them.

7. Avail yourself of non surgical, procedures that are available at your dermatologist or cosmetic surgeon.
Jowls and a double chin are quick, relatively inexpensive fixes. Laser resurfacing, chemical peels, and other minor procedures can make yo look less tired and younger. Same for Botox. No one looks young and happy with an "11" in the middle of their brows.

8. Speaking of brows - the Brow Bar at Ulta will shape your brows, thin them or fill them is, as needed.

I like the Exuvience line - also available at Ulta. See if they agree with you.

I’m in my 40s but still middle aged. I agree the easiest thing you can do op is drink a lot of water. While genetics does help I believe drinking mostly water has helped my skin

Maybe focus on toning rather than losing five lbs. lift weights! Doing this cuts down on the telltale signs of aging batwings.

Try and eat healthier if you don’t already. Cut down on fried food.

Too much makeup ages you. Try and conceal lightly vs pancake

Try and cut down the stressors in your life if you csn

Old 08-17-2018, 10:32 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I am in my 50's and I think I look much older than my years, not sure why. Any tips would be appreciated. I am more interested in beauty tips rather than fashion tips, although both are helpful.

I am medium build, brunette, growing out a bad, short haircut, I am kind of pale. I don't wear much makeup because my eyes are super sensitve, but I think I need to wear more. I should probably lose maybe 5 pounds.
People sometimes think I'm younger than I am. I think it's because they aren't looking closely or they have a conception of what someone my age looks like. But here are my tips, anyway.

Hair is critical. Doesn't have to be long, but longish. That's more flattering to the face, unless you're an elfish sort with a pixie face and small body. Healthy and shiny. It should move. Think touchability. It should be flattering to your face, of course. Not just easy to care for, but flattering.

Makeup. Eyes are IT, for the face. Wear what you can, since your eyes are sensitive. There are mascaras that are not as harsh as others. But definitely undereye coverup, eyeshadow, a little eyeliner, make sure the brows frame your eyes. You want your eyes to pop out, when you look at yourself. Maybe visit a cosmetics counter at a dept store., see what they do. A little subtle wisp of a soft aqua at the outer corner of your eyes can give a spark. I noticed Glenn Close had that in a movie. It was very subtle. I doubt anyone else noticed it but a compulsive like myself.

Pale is okay. Just a bit of pink blush (pink perks up a face more than any other blush color). Where on the cheeks depends on your face. You can find that on the internet..hard to describe in words. I sometimes also put a bit of pink blush at top of forehead in the center and blend well. Just a hint of blush, mind you. And sometimes I put a puff of it on my chin. It doesn't show, really, but I do it, anyway. I have NO color in my face w/o blush.

Lip color depends on many things. Size of lips, whether you want to emphasize them, or de-emphasize them to make your eyes the focus, and what is in style. For me, light-medium sallow complexion, I stick to lipsticks in the mauve or berry family, unless I go totally nude color, which is rare. I stick to light to medium shades because I have a small mouth. NEVER shimmery lipstick on an older woman. ALWAYS moisturizing lipstick. Go for just a hint of natural looking color on the lips.

Makeup should not be shimmery eyeshadow or lipstick. It doesn't look right on mature women. It highlights crinkles and such.

Use wrinkle creams. Daytime wrinkle creams w/sunblock. I use ROC products. They're great. You may also want to use a night time hydrating firming cream.

Exfoliate several times a week to give your skin a glow or at least get dead skin cells off. I use exfoliating ROC disks (because I got them for free in the packs of ROC wrinkle cream at Sam's Club), but a mask would have the same effect. Don't use exfoliating creams that have walnuts & such in them (too harsh). You can even mix sugar with warm water & use for exfoliating. Or dry oatmeal mixed w/warm water to exfoliate & leave on skin for a mask. Lots of options. The idea is to give your skin a glow.

I don't wear foundation, any more. I thought it was clogging my pores and making my skin tone uneven. I think my skin is better, since I stopped wearing foundation many years ago. But my skin is protected from the environment with the sunblock ROC wrinkle cream and blush and powder.

Finish face with a light covering of translucent powder. I put it on with a brush to make sure it's a light covering.

There is my basic routine, give or take. The goal is to have healthy looking skin, as wrinkle free as possible, look natural, but like I care about my appearance and as attractive as possible (given what I have to work with).

Find something on your face that is your strong point and emphasize that, maybe. What have you been complimented on?
How to seem younger, generally: Sometimes it's the way a person acts or moves or speaks. Old people are slow. Young people walk faster and often talk faster. Young people have a higher pitched voice. Walk briskly, with good posture, and that takes off years, IMO.

Teeth. Whiter teeth seem younger and look healthier.

Last edited by bpollen; 08-17-2018 at 10:45 PM..

Old 08-18-2018, 12:53 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,023,509 times
I've been helping my mom and aunt (50 and 54, respectively) lately with this.

The advice you've gotten from the other ladies here about multi-dimensional hair color is a good suggestion. Work with a good hairstylist to get a good color with highlights and lowlights. If properly done, any pesky gray roots that start popping up shouldn't be so obvious. If you're on a budget and can't/don't want to spring for a pricey hair stylist regularly, using one of those little comb things for dying your roots does work.

Many women start wearing more makeup when they get older. This is usually a bad idea. The thing is, once you have fine lines and wrinkles, that heavy foundation, etc. is just going to settle into those lines and wrinkles. Luckily, at your age, you probably aren't dealing with acne and whatnot. A BB cream, tinted moisturizer or thin foundation should work well for evening out any discoloration. For the most part, avoid powder foundations.

The good news is that modern style for many younger women can be easily pulled off by an older woman. Nowadays, showing off tons of skin isn't really the "thing" unless it's a nightclub or something. The more "conservative" look -- leggings/skinny jeans, tunics, oversized sweaters, etc -- is popular among women of all ages these days. As you age, this can be a good thing...you may not want to show too much skin because of crepey/wrinkly skin, but you may find you look and feel fabulous in outfits like this. If done properly, you shouldn't look like you're trying to dress "too young," either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty