Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2022, 04:55 PM

7,114 posts, read 4,830,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Me neither, but I've seen so many trends come and go and then come back again over the decades that they all seem to blur together. I've never cared if I looked trendy or not in the eyes of others, I just set me own trends for myself. If I like it I go with it and if I don't like it I don't do it again.

I have a pixie cut right now, my hair is silver and I've been entertaining the idea of getting streaks of pearly pastel mermaid colours again, like all the colours in an abalone shell. It looks so good on white or silver hair. The first time I did it was 25 years ago when I think mermaid hair was still unheard of at that time and it wasn't a trend yet, but it's a colour scheme that I've gone back to several times since then. I'd love to see more old women like me doing mermaid colours.

Do it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2022, 04:58 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,053,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I'm amazed at older women dying their hair pink, purple, blue, etc. What are they thinking? With young girls, it's a fad that will soon leave....but older women???? What are they trying to prove?
LOL. You are funny. Older women, especially ancient old crones like me, don't feel a need to prove anything to anyone. We've come to the realization that we're entitled to do whatever we want that pleases us and us alone when it comes to our hair. Whether or not our choices that we make pleases uptight fuddy-duddies with a judgemental ageism complex is irrelevant to us. We just laugh at them.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:05 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,987,069 times
It comes back to the same basic question I pose with women wearing makeup... Who are you really wearing it for? Unless you're looking in a mirror, you can't see yourself, so you must be wearing it for the benefit of those who CAN see you. And to say you wear it in order to "feel better about" yourself, that's actually a circular argument. You feel better about yourself because you believe you LOOK better to, again, those who can see you and therefore they judge you more favorably, and you enjoy their acceptance. So it's actually for others. Same with the hair; if it's a pixie cut, you can't see it unless you're looking in a mirror. The hair dye, I tend to think, is for attention or at least to tell the world, "I'm a badass, edgy old crone!" Which is fine, to each her own, but own it.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:13 PM

45,435 posts, read 60,623,477 times
From what I learned in another thread a Bass Pro hat.

Old 08-21-2022, 06:17 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,240 times
Manbun.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:06 PM

88,616 posts, read 84,857,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I saw a woman working in a medical office that had a nose ring. I swear she looked like a bull.
Lol, yes, that's what it makes me think of. My daughter has a pierced septum. She doesn't wear a ring all the time, but I would think it would be annoying when your nose is running. She's an adult, though, so it's her choice.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:33 PM

3,048 posts, read 1,153,697 times
Super-long eyelash extensions. I don't get it. The other day, my husband and I were watching the news, and one of the reporters was in the field, reporting on a local event. Because the sun was high, the shadows from her eyelashes extended all the way down her cheeks. It was terribly unflattering. I kept thinking, why doesn't anybody tell her?

Old 08-21-2022, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
I'm amazed at older women dying their hair pink, purple, blue, etc. What are they thinking? With young girls, it's a fad that will soon leave....but older women???? What are they trying to prove?
I know an older woman who put a pink streak in her silver hair. She did it to commemorate beating breast cancer.

Old 08-21-2022, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
<snip>No, her bangs weren't straight. They were in a little row of spitcurls along her forehead. She took off the tape but the bangs stayed exactly like they looked with the tape on. I've tried to find a picture but there's nothing like that online.<snip>
[URL="https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ffab&q=hercule+poirot+miss+lemon+spit+curls&atb =v224-1&iax=images&ia=images&iai=https%3A%2F%2Fi.pinimg. com%2F236x%2F21%2F52%2F3d%2F21523df1f1f8de9ae200d6 991426d393--hercule-poirot-and-dresses.jpg"]Miss Lemon[/URL] from the Hercule Poirot series starring David Suchet wore spit curls along her forehead. Is that close?

Old 08-21-2022, 07:52 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,248,397 times
Smile Great memory - sounds good though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by farm fatale View Post
He did, yeees! I forgot. Fun story.
Here is MC Hammer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otCpCn0l4Wo
He sounds good and I remember even calling them MC Hammer pants myself!!
My kids were little at the time (wish I could go back to then)!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty