Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2022, 10:12 PM

4,640 posts, read 1,790,608 times

Advertisements

I've never been the kind of person to grow her nails. Yes, I confess...I shamefully bit them to the quick for decades.

But over the past few years---at 60-something years old--I've been trying to grow them. Right now, most of them are beyond my skinned fingertips. YAY!

But they seem to split quite often, and before I know it, I'm back to square one. When they grow, they're "flimsy" at best. My thumbnails are the strongest. But even THEY have now split.

I'm not sure what to do to make them stronger, and less likely to split while growing them.

Anyone have any suggestion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2022, 01:07 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post
I've never been the kind of person to grow her nails. Yes, I confess...I shamefully bit them to the quick for decades.

But over the past few years---at 60-something years old--I've been trying to grow them. Right now, most of them are beyond my skinned fingertips. YAY!

But they seem to split quite often, and before I know it, I'm back to square one. When they grow, they're "flimsy" at best. My thumbnails are the strongest. But even THEY have now split.

I'm not sure what to do to make them stronger, and less likely to split while growing them.

A good nail strengthener will work..my names too are soft think with biting them like you for years.. now they dont break off so easily..... if at all.. OPI seems popular but others on the market good luck

Old 10-10-2022, 06:43 AM

16,418 posts, read 12,502,320 times
Biotin

Old 10-10-2022, 06:48 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Take a collagen supplement.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:39 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,534 times
Either Biotin (a supplement in the form of tablet / pill) or a collagen supplement in the form of powder would work. Biotin helps with hair and nails issue and my mother (who's had brittle nails all her life) takes Biotin daily and it helps with her nails for sure.

I take the collagen supplement in the form of powder - this one helps with skin and nails. I buy mine in bulk from Costco cause it's cheaper. I just put a scoop in my coffee in the morning (it has no taste) and it's worked wonders. My nails are strong and smooth with no cracks, etc. My skin is healthy looking too.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:46 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mink57 View Post

Well, some of that is due to age. As we get older, our nails will crack and split. A couple of things you can do. Use hand lotion liberally and often, and avoid putting your hands in dishwater unless you're wearing rubber gloves.

Old 10-10-2022, 07:52 AM

8,756 posts, read 5,050,099 times
My nails could grow a foot long, and never break. The problem is.....I can`t stand the feel of long nails...and they grow so fast.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:32 AM

11,032 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Recently I lost a thumbnail due to slamming it accidentally in the driver's side door. After a couple months (letting it heal) I ordered some biotin cream from Amazon and rubbed it in the nail several times a day. Also put a thick layer on before bed.

"Barielle Nails Daily Strengthening Nail Cream with Biotin 1.5 Ounce - for Splitting, Brittle, Ridged, Breaking, Soft and Damaged Nails, Leaves Nails Strong, Healthy and Revitalized"

About 10 bucks with tax.

I too have a very difficult time keeping nails grown. Have to keep them short. Constantly trimming, filing, putting the cream on, and protecting them with a good nail strengthening polish. Will see if 6-12 months of using the cream has any effect. The tube lasts a long while.

P.S. I too bit my nails down to the quick as a child. Did better as an adult. Recently though, the crappy job I got had me biting and picking my nails down to the quick. A month later after quitting, they have grown back. So much for crappy jobs.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:35 AM

24,529 posts, read 10,846,327 times
Biotin 10.000, nail hardener, nail oil, gloves for cleaning/dishwashing/.... chores. Please remember - your nails ae not part of a tool box.

Old 10-10-2022, 08:41 AM

5,580 posts, read 6,504,647 times
Try acrylic nails with shellac polish. My fingernails are pitiful as well, and I tried Biotin.......nope. I don't use the dip, go with the acrylic. I have my nails cut back to just extending the fingertips. By the end of 3-4 weeks they have grown out and then it is "rinse and repeat".

There are basically 7 color palates to choose from in nail polish: Reds, pinks, oranges, purples, browns, blues and greens. There are 12 months in a year. I have a "calendar" of monthly color choices. Examples are: Blue for January (snow and ice/icy blue), green for March (St. Patricks day and spring), cinnamon or copper for September (fall), pastels for warm weather and darker colors for colder weather. I look at the many pretty colors in that palate, then choose 3 that I like. I have the manicurist show me the 3 colors on her nail, a napkin, paper, etc. then I choose the one I like best.

Don't laugh, it works! I don't go in every month wondering "what color do I want"? And, I don't wear the same 'ole, same 'ole colors all the time.

I never pay extra for "designs" on a nail. Or for a fancy (read: expensive) pedicure. I get the basic pedicure and it is just fine. Don't need chocolate water to soak in, or flower petals floating in the soaking water.......It is expensive enough for a mani/pedi, I don't need to be throwing away money for useless "extras". My opinion only, others like the extra luxuries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty