Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2023, 09:38 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times

Advertisements

It doesn't get much hotter than in India, yet the women cover everything except their arms. The type of fabric is key. If you want clothes that are cooler to wear in heat, go to an Indian clothing shop or website. Cotton gauze lets the breeze flow through to evaporate sweat while offering some protection from the sun.

Notice that in the Middle East heat both men and women are covered head to toe when they wear traditional garb. But in the African and South American jungles, the natives are practically naked! Must be genetics determining heat tolerance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2023, 08:45 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
There's a trend to tuck in shirts and sweaters, but not into your pants--under your bra band. I'm too middle aged for the look, anyway, but I can't imagine going around all day with a whole sweater hem tucked under my bra.

Old 12-29-2023, 01:41 PM

23,292 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
It doesn't get much hotter than in India, yet the women cover everything except their arms. The type of fabric is key. If you want clothes that are cooler to wear in heat, go to an Indian clothing shop or website. Cotton gauze lets the breeze flow through to evaporate sweat while offering some protection from the sun.

Notice that in the Middle East heat both men and women are covered head to toe when they wear traditional garb. But in the African and South American jungles, the natives are practically naked! Must be genetics determining heat tolerance.
Humidity probably has a lot to do with how a region's traditional dress (or lack thereof) evolved. Last time I checked, "jungles" were oppressively humid as well as hot. The dense vegetation also blocks beneficial breeze. In a humid jungle, sweat that ends up being absorbed by clothing doesn't evaporate (and thus cool the wearer off) nearly as well as it will in the open dry climates of the Middle East! Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware that many areas and seasons in India are humid too. But climate isn't the only "environmental" factor influencing clothing. There's that other elephant in the room: religious observance. People who can't escape something unpleasant may just resign themselves to it.

Last edited by Parnassia; 12-29-2023 at 02:48 PM..

Old 12-30-2023, 06:35 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,914,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Humidity probably has a lot to do with how a region's traditional dress (or lack thereof) evolved. Last time I checked, "jungles" were oppressively humid as well as hot. The dense vegetation also blocks beneficial breeze. In a humid jungle, sweat that ends up being absorbed by clothing doesn't evaporate (and thus cool the wearer off) nearly as well as it will in the open dry climates of the Middle East! Yes, yes, yes, I'm aware that many areas and seasons in India are humid too. But climate isn't the only "environmental" factor influencing clothing. There's that other elephant in the room: religious observance. People who can't escape something unpleasant may just resign themselves to it.
Hey, all I know is that one summer day in New Orleans, I stopped and traded in my polyester blend blouse for a linen one and was super glad I did so.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:06 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Well…I guess now that I’ve moved, urban wear. Joggers are fine for a jaunt to the store. It’s not formalwear. Nor are crocs (something I would never have guessed would be popular in the ghettos like here?). Yoga pants are equivalent to joggers, I suppose. And do we really need to walk down the street in crop tops and short shorts when it’s like 77*? It doesn’t get hot here. There’s a lot of sneakerheads culture up here to which is a weird one for me, but then again I’m “special” in that department because I loathe wearing shoes, so the whole sneaker culture is anathema for me.

This is a unisex one: I really don’t like pants tucked into socks or boots.
I would wear sneakers everywhere if I could. I fell down some stairs about 8 years ago, hurt my back. Not the spine, just sprained the lumbar area, but it never fully recovered. PT told me not to wear heels, which of course I didn't anyway because I am six feet tall. No, he said, not even the one-inch heel on the short boots I was wearing.

Buy running shoes, he said, good ones. Even if you don't run.

He was right. Those sneakers make all the difference in the world as far as back pain/comfort goes. I have about four pairs. Saw a segment on TV about how they are even catching on in NYC to wear with business suits.

Comfort wins over fashion with me!

Old 12-30-2023, 07:56 PM

20,757 posts, read 8,576,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Saw a segment on TV about how they are even catching on in NYC to wear with business suits.
I worked in NY and we wore sneakers outside but kept our heels in our desks

Old 12-31-2023, 12:39 PM

256 posts, read 114,981 times
Quote:
Saw a segment on TV about how they are even catching on in NYC to wear with business suits.
Can you wear a suit with sneakers in 2024? You bet!!!

Old 01-01-2024, 09:46 AM

88,569 posts, read 84,777,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I worked in NY and we wore sneakers outside but kept our heels in our desks
So did I! Traipsing through train terminals and bus stations is for sneakers.

Except my under-desk shoes weren't heels, since I am six feet tall. But I had every color I needed. I lost about six pairs of shoes on 9/11; insignificant, given the circumstances. In fact, I had sandals on when we were hit and had to run down barefoot because the water in the stairs was too slippery for the sandals.

But someone once mentioned all the shoes found in the debris pile. Yup, because there were always more shoes than feet in the towers.

I still work part-time in the area, and the industry (engineering) tends to still dress conservatively in business attire. Starting to see some of the yutes breaking out of that, though, particularly one woman who is a rising star and can most often be seen in sneaks and no business jacket. Change is in the air!

NYC and its hardscape really cries out for comfortable footwear.

Old 01-01-2024, 10:15 PM

8,936 posts, read 4,766,834 times
I ditched heels awhile ago (and I'm barely 5'3"). I think somewhere in my mid-30's. I don't have the time to grin and bear it for the sake of "fashion" like I used to do in my 20's. Life is too short to walk around in pain.

Old 01-02-2024, 11:33 AM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
I would wear sneakers everywhere if I could. I fell down some stairs about 8 years ago, hurt my back. Not the spine, just sprained the lumbar area, but it never fully recovered. PT told me not to wear heels, which of course I didn't anyway because I am six feet tall. No, he said, not even the one-inch heel on the short boots I was wearing.

Buy running shoes, he said, good ones. Even if you don't run.

He was right. Those sneakers make all the difference in the world as far as back pain/comfort goes. I have about four pairs. Saw a segment on TV about how they are even catching on in NYC to wear with business suits.

Comfort wins over fashion with me!
I guess for me, it’s a different set of conditions altogether. A quirk of mine is that I find shoes to be really uncomfortable. My feet are hot, trapped, sweaty, etc. It’s not always top of mine while I’m wearing shoes, but it’s always kind of lurking.

So in my case, I accept shoes as a necessary evil to function in some circumstances, and for you, you have some injury issues that they help alleviate. That’s a sort of utilitarian approach.

What I really don’t understand is sneakers as an aesthetic and a hobby. Sneakerheads lean that way, and it’s a weird thing to me, kind of like getting a screwdriver or a power saw as a way of making a statement as opposed to having it because it serves a purpose and serves that purpose well. I suppose I can sympathize in the sense that as a watch guy, I am very aware of my watches, what they do, and how different watches pair with the activities and outfit for the day, but even then I’m getting them for myself more than anything because I know there’s nobody paying attention to my watches. That’s the part I just can’t get through my head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty