Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 08:22 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times

Advertisements

I often wondered why many (and when I say many, I mean a substantially more number than women) married men don't wear their wedding bands. I have heard the old adage that men "don't like to wear any jewelry". I understand that, but that always seemed like a weak excuse considering if their spouse wears their's 95% of the time. Any thoughts on this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2023, 08:51 AM

4,510 posts, read 5,048,411 times
We're heading for our 57th anniversary. I recently had surgery and had to remove my ring. My fingers have grown since I first put it on and I had a hard time getting it off. I can honestly say that I 'felt' that it was missing. I even woke up the first night after surgery and my first thought was " I have to put it back on in the morning", which I did. My wife has only taken hers off a few times for various reasons.

This was the 1st time I'd ever taken it off !

Last edited by Nodpete; 05-20-2023 at 09:16 AM..

Old 05-20-2023, 09:00 AM

22,557 posts, read 47,614,734 times
I don't know a single husband who does not wear his.

(Of course, some men and women cannot wear any jewelry at work.)

Old 05-20-2023, 09:00 AM

2,912 posts, read 2,045,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodpete View Post
We're heading for our 57th anniversary. I recently had surgery and had to remove my ring. My fingers have grown since I first put it on and I had a hard time getting it off. I can honestly say that I 'felt' that it was missing. I even woke up the first night after surgery and my first thought was " I have to put it back on in the morning", which I did. My wife has only taken hers off a few times for various reasons.
Yes, whenever I do take mine off (shower, doing yard work, doing dirty car work, etc.). I make it a point to put it back on as soon as I am finished. It just naturally feels like "something is missing" when I do take it off.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:15 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,677,294 times
My dad wore his for entire life.

My husband doesn't, because he's a mechanic, and wearing a ring can be dangerous.

Old 05-20-2023, 09:35 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,616,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remington Steel View Post
I often wondered why many (and when I say many, I mean a substantially more number than women) married men don't wear their wedding bands. I have heard the old adage that men "don't like to wear any jewelry". I understand that, but that always seemed like a weak excuse considering if their spouse wears their's 95% of the time. Any thoughts on this?
I never wore a ring when I wasa married. Well, I did one time. I almost lost at least the ring finger when it snagged on a hazard I deal with 100,00 times in a day. That's when any and all jewelry and I parted ways. Way to close for comfort.

Old 05-20-2023, 10:35 AM

8,329 posts, read 2,959,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
I never wore a ring when I wasa married. Well, I did one time. I almost lost at least the ring finger when it snagged on a hazard I deal with 100,00 times in a day. That's when any and all jewelry and I parted ways. Way to close for comfort.
Have a good friend who’s been a fireman for a long time and after not seeing him for a couple months we met for lunch and he was missing his ring finger. He was coming down a ladder and s’ happened.

I did some construction years ago for about 6 months and occasionally we had to move some heavy beams by hand and it snagged but fortunately no injuries. Stopped wearing it during that time.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:34 AM

36,411 posts, read 16,020,348 times
My Dad never wore his, he was a machinist and now retired and a custom knife maker.

Old 05-20-2023, 11:46 AM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times
I wear mine for nearly everything. Times when i don't: shower, sleeping, gym, extensive yardwork.

Old 05-20-2023, 12:05 PM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
My husband started our marriage life as a construction foreman and I forbade him to wear his wedding ring to work. He only wore it for social occasions.

Later when he moved to a less active work life he began wearing it to work.

Just the other day I comment on his wedding anniversary ring which he was wearing to go out to lunch with some pals. He said he had had it enlarged so he could wear it.

So I guess it has meant something to him but there have been times in our lives when neither of us has worn one depending on the work we were doing or where we were going. I never wear valuable jewelry when I am traveling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty