Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2023, 06:38 AM

17,302 posts, read 22,030,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
As a 75-yo man who has been married to the same woman for 48 years, I submit to you that nobody needs to wear a ring to know they are married. We have both had some close calls when injury (either to finger or ring) could have been a disaster. So the wife has my ring in her jewelry box, and we both know where it is. I wear it once in awhile. I have nothing to prove.

She has a problem with swelling hands and fingers, and I will sometimes see her sitting ringless while peeling carrots and potatoes for supper. Her cooking says more to me about love, than wearing a piece of metal. We both know what we're all about.
Bingo!^^^^^^

I'm not a jewelry guy, never have been. I own a Rolex and don't wear that either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2023, 07:36 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nor'Eastah View Post
So the wife has my ring in her jewelry box, and we both know where it is. I wear it once in awhile. I have nothing to prove.
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
I'm not a jewelry guy, never have been. I own a Rolex and don't wear that either.

Tho if you think a wedding ring is about something you don’t have to prove or you don’t like wearing them, why did you buy them? AND…Cityguy, why buy a Rolex you don’t wear? IMO, that seems like a silly waste of money.

A wedding ring is a symbol of love & commitment. If you approach it like you have “nothing to prove”, IMO that’s a selfish way to go into a marriage.

Old 05-24-2023, 07:53 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
My first husband wouldn't wear his ring. Not because of his job, or any safety issues...he just wouldn't wear his ring. He also wouldn't give me a Mother's Day gift because I wasn't his mother.

My current husband wears his every day, and it does my heart good to see it on his finger. He also gives me Mother's Day gifts, even though I didn't birth his child, and he's the step dad to the kids I DID birth.

Old 05-24-2023, 10:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
I have worn mine since 1974 when we got married, only taking it off a few times for surgeries. The same goes for my wife. Even when working on cars or welding I leave it on, but wear gloves if it might be a hazard.

Old 05-25-2023, 07:18 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,251,926 times
I lost my husband four years ago. I took our wedding bands which are very ornate and had them flattened and soldered and made into a cuff bracelet. It’s gorgeous.

But I always have a ring on “that” finger. One of my favorites is a thin rose gold band. Thoroughly unobtrusive, easy to go in and out of pockets, I don’t have to take it off if I’m doing something.

I had somebody tell me that you know maybe it’s time to take the wedding ring off. And I was confused. So I explained that’s not my wedding ring, it’s a ring so I know which way is left.

See, I have a rather common but mild form of dyslexia, I don’t know my right from my left without really thinking about it. So my habit after the past 30 some years of wearing a wedding ring was to look which hand had the band. So I always have to have a ring on that finger now.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:45 PM

14,473 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Neither my husband or I wear our wedding rings! Really never have!

I chose to use my departed Mom's wedding ring as my own when we married, it has three diamonds on it and it's pretty and sentimental for me, I just think it's a hassle to wear it. It's always either too tight or too loose, it's like my fingers are never the same size. And I don't like wearing them gardening or working in the barn, or when handling food, or bathing, and I think taking it off and putting it back on all the time is a good way to lose it or forget it someplace. So I put it on a chain and wore it that way for awhile, now it hangs here near my computer.

Hubby doesn't wear his either. I think we're just not the jewelry type of people!

Last edited by Diana Holbrook; 05-25-2023 at 12:55 PM..

Old 05-26-2023, 10:42 AM

402 posts, read 275,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
Tho if you think a wedding ring is about something you don’t have to prove or you don’t like wearing them, why did you buy them? AND…Cityguy, why buy a Rolex you don’t wear? IMO, that seems like a silly waste of money.

A wedding ring is a symbol of love & commitment. If you approach it like you have “nothing to prove”, IMO that’s a selfish way to go into a marriage.
Is there a marriage book I missed out on reading that says after you are married you are required to wear your ring for the rest of your life lol? If the basis of your marriage is based on a piece of jewelry, which is a material thing, then I don't know what to tell you. I know abusers that wear their wedding ring. Yes, that ring is showing their love and commitment

Old 05-26-2023, 11:25 AM

35,061 posts, read 16,995,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
Is there a marriage book I missed out on reading that says after you are married you are required to wear your ring for the rest of your life lol? I
Tradition.

Old 05-26-2023, 12:02 PM

402 posts, read 275,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Tradition.
and tradition can be broken...

Old 05-26-2023, 01:37 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyYa80s View Post
Is there a marriage book I missed out on reading that says after you are married you are required to wear your ring for the rest of your life lol? If the basis of your marriage is based on a piece of jewelry, which is a material thing, then I don't know what to tell you. I know abusers that wear their wedding ring. Yes, that ring is showing their love and commitment

Ofc there isn’t a marriage book that says you are required to wear a wedding ring. That’s funny. AND who says marriage is based on a a piece of jewelry? It’s based on love & commitment. Most ppl don’t have a problem with showing their love & commitment by wearing a wedding ring tho.

But, it does seem kind of selfish for a poster to say they don’t have anything to prove when they could just tell their spouse they don’t like jewelry or talk about it. It sounds super aggressive to say that to a spouse, IMO. AND…if you don’t want to wear a wedding ring, why waste money buying one?

Tho what on earth do abusers have to do with this thread? Tell the ppl you know to get help & divorced. The last thing they should be worrying about is wedding rings ofc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty