Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 11:02 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,493,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
And if you're in a bar or restaurant, just trying to have a quiet drink, or hear the band, or enjoy a meal in peace, you can be a sitting duck. If a ring keeps people from circling in, than why not?
The attention (and that could be a greeting, or small talk, or something short of directly hitting on them) a man/woman gets while sitting alone at a bar (or elsewhere for the matter) likely has less to do with what piece of Jewlery is on their finger, and more to do with how attractive that person is.

Last edited by BostonMike7; 05-31-2023 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2023, 11:03 AM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I had lots of men ask me out when I was single & working in a hospital. If I wasn’t interested, I said no. I never had a problem with it AND IMO, doctors or corporate types are not going to bombard or harass women at work. It’s not like everybody can keep circling or not take no for an answer like Snazzy said. There are too many other ppl around & rules in place. So…I still say buying yourself a wedding ring is silly because the type of man that both of you are talking about isn’t going to care about a wedding ring anyway. I’d get the help of a friend or talk to him & turn on my phone to record him before I would buy a fake ring. Document everything. Because “repeatedly” asking you out & not taking no for an answer like Snazzy said is harassment & stalking. He is not mentally stable. It would be super unusual to meet 1 or 2 of that type at work…but all day long with various men? Um..Ok.

IMO, if a newly married couple wants to give or wear wedding rings, it is up to them AND about each other. It’s not for other ppl anyway.
OK Tasha. You have all the answers and solutions to life. Good job.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:24 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,577,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Engagement rings are a sexist and outdated tradition
Quote:
Mostly marketing gimmick and social pressure. And some traditional rituals are hilarious. It's 21 Century, people.

Nina, ITA with a lot of your posts..but not this.^^ There is nothing wrong with some harmless tradition & it’s up to the couple if they want to follow it or not. It’s not like they are being forced. If they can’t stand up to marketing or social pressure & the groom buys an engagement ring even tho she doesn’t want it, they aren’t mature enough to get married IMO. It’s the same with wedding rings. It would be stupid & a total waste of money.

A woman can say no…but, like 80% of brides to be last year still received engagement rings. They are not outdated.

Old 05-31-2023, 11:59 AM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAKD View Post
My daughter who is 24 and gets a lot of unsolicited attention from men, started wearing a "faux" wedding ring because she doesn't want to be hit on by men. Now she gets dually annoyed at the amount of men who disregard the ring and almost see it as a challenge.
I once did that. It didn't work. I found that it emboldened many men even more. And it's not a silly idea. Women get unwanted attention all the time. Too bad a lot of men don't have the sensitivity and the class to leave women with a wedding ring on - authentic or fake - alone.

Old 05-31-2023, 12:42 PM

5,655 posts, read 3,148,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
The attention (and that could be a greeting, or small talk, or something short of directly hitting on them) a man/woman gets while sitting alone at a bar (or elsewhere for the matter) likely has less to do with what piece of Jewlery is on their finger, and more to do with how attractive that person is.
OK.

But she can hold her hand up and say "I'm married" or "I'm engaged" and hopefully, that deters the man.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:13 PM

2,912 posts, read 2,047,601 times
Quote:
Engagement rings are a sexist and outdated tradition
and
I kinda agree with it:
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/engag...31-gy8730.html

Mostly marketing gimmick and social pressure. And some traditional rituals are hilarious. It's 21 Century, people.

https://www.marthastewart.com/786119...ing-traditions
OMG are you serious?! A woman having an issue with a woman receiving an engagement ring? That’s different….smh.

Old 05-31-2023, 01:16 PM

2,187 posts, read 8,006,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I had lots of men ask me out when I was single & working in a hospital. If I wasn’t interested, I said no. I never had a problem with it AND IMO, doctors or corporate types are not going to bombard or harass women at work. It’s not like everybody can keep circling or not take no for an answer like Snazzy said. There are too many other ppl around & rules in place. So…I still say buying yourself a wedding ring is silly because the type of man that both of you are talking about isn’t going to care about a wedding ring anyway. I’d get the help of a friend or talk to him & turn on my phone to record him before I would buy a fake ring. Document everything. Because “repeatedly” asking you out & not taking no for an answer like Snazzy said is harassment & stalking. He is not mentally stable. It would be super unusual to meet 1 or 2 of that type at work…but all day long with various men? Um..Ok.

IMO, if a newly married couple wants to give or wear wedding rings, it is up to them AND about each other. It’s not for other ppl anyway.
I am not saying its one man repeatedly asking.
You seem kinda worked up about this. I wonder why it's such a trigger for you?

You worked in a hospital, presumably with the same staff so once you were given a no it was remembered and accepted. Or if a patient they weren't asking multiple times because they eventually went home. Or chances were probably pretty good that they felt awful enough that hitting on someone was the last thing on their mind.

My daughter works in a field where she encounters different people every day. We arent talking about the immediate staff she works with.

You can think it's stupid , thats your right.

It has helped some for her and thats all that matters.

Old 05-31-2023, 02:16 PM

18,526 posts, read 18,744,531 times
[quote=elnina;65354724]Engagement rings are a sexist and outdated tradition
and
I kinda agree with it:
https://www.smh.com.au/opinion/engag...31-gy8730.html

https://www.marthastewart.com/786119...ing-traditions[/QUOTE

Old 05-31-2023, 02:45 PM

554 posts, read 345,700 times
It’s best to not assume a person is single because they’re not wearing a ring.

Also, it’s best to not assume a person is married because they’re wearing a ring.

People are free to make their own choices. If someone is really interested in a person they can politely ask if they’re single. No need to lecture anyone.

Old 05-31-2023, 04:33 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,870,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
OK.

But she can hold her hand up and say "I'm married" or "I'm engaged" and hopefully, that deters the man.
Yeah, that works sometimes. More than once I've had a guy say "So what?"

Another time there was a death in my family and another relative, an in-law, became violent (a gun/knife-wielding alcoholic.... yeah). I ran to the next door neighbor's house to call the police. While I was waiting for the police to arrive, trying to calm down, the married man, our neighbor, asked me if I wanted to go have fun in the other room and relieve some stress. In the middle of a crisis. Married, with his wife at work. Knowing I was in a relationship.

It absolutely boggles the mind how clueless some people can be.

That being said, I never once was harassed at work in over 30 years. Worked in law... they knew better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty