Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2008, 09:35 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,123,320 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Funny, the women in my life thought he was disgusting. He was cited as an example of someone who had dreadlocks becuase he nevere bothered to brush or wash his hair. They hated him although they gushed over all of the others.
I think he is one of those guys that you either really like or can't stand. I think he's just beautiful.
YouTube - American Idol Season 7 - Jason Castro - "Hallelujah"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2008, 06:47 AM

5,160 posts, read 9,173,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
Attachment 32865

Attachment 32866

Attachment 32867

I work in corporate america and have worked in it for the last 10 yrs. I am in the IT field. I have had no problem gaining employment, I am a woman who is 32 yrs of age. Dredlocks is like any other hairstyle if you do not take care of it, wash and maintain it your hair will be dirty. In addition, I have corn rows in my hair as well I know some individuals on this forum called them tasteless,not all women can be endowed with non( to quote Don Imus nappy hair).
Wow..nice.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:03 PM

28 posts, read 99,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleecya View Post
Attachment 32865

Attachment 32866

Attachment 32867

I work in corporate america and have worked in it for the last 10 yrs. I am in the IT field. I have had no problem gaining employment, I am a woman who is 32 yrs of age. Dredlocks is like any other hairstyle if you do not take care of it, wash and maintain it your hair will be dirty. In addition, I have corn rows in my hair as well I know some individuals on this forum called them tasteless,not all women can be endowed with non( to quote Don Imus nappy hair).
I, too, have locks. Mine are now past shoulder length, pretty slender in diameter and I wear them curled or crinkly (set on rollers or overnight in braids) to work. I occasionally get the curious look in the (corporate) workplace, but I've never heard any negative comments at my current employer. Once or twice, people have been bold enough to grab a handful of my hair and make comments about how "cool" or "different" they are.

I've never seen the combination of locks and cornrows. How did you manage that?

As an afterthought, I must say that I have never seen locks that look good on a non-black person or someone lacking naturally curly, kinky hair. The look and the process itself has much to do with a texture that naturally supports it without using yucky stuff like adhesives, glues and gels that many other races do when mimicking the style. No offense intended.

Old 12-22-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritebrained View Post
As an afterthought, I must say that I have never seen locks that look good on a non-black person or someone lacking naturally curly, kinky hair. The look and the process itself has much to do with a texture that naturally supports it without using yucky stuff like adhesives, glues and gels that many other races do when mimicking the style. No offense intended.
I saw a white guy at Best Buy once who had really nice looking locks. It is true though that the majority of bad locks will be on non-black people. Because their hair doesn't have the "hold" that ours does, their dreads require more maintenance.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:24 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Did you say the word "non-black" because I think that is a racist term...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
I saw a white guy at Best Buy once who had really nice looking locks. It is true though that the majority of bad locks will be on non-black people. Because their hair doesn't have the "hold" that ours does, their dreads require more maintenance.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:28 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haaziq View Post
It is true though that the majority of bad locks will be on non-black people. Because their hair doesn't have the "hold" that ours does, their dreads require more maintenance.
That's true. I don't know how anybody can stand them, though. I had cornrows done once on vacation and had to change my mind about the style I initially chose because I got a headache immediately.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:30 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
That's true. I don't know how anybody can stand them, though. I had cornrows done once on vacation and had to change my mind about the style I initially chose because I got a headache immediately.
Well, I think cornrows are attractive on a black woman. However, on a white woman, with the scalp exposed and all, they look like they're having some kind of terrible disease. Just not a good look at all for whiteys.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:32 PM

42,831 posts, read 88,170,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Well, I think cornrows are attractive on a black woman. However, on a white woman, with the scalp exposed and all, they look like they're having some kind of terrible disease. Just not a good look at all for whiteys.
I do like them on black women. It's true, they didn't look all that great on me, but my point was they hurt!

Old 12-22-2008, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Most people will have a headache when they get cornrows for the first time. Most people will have a very itchy scalp when they're starting out dreadlocks. It's all about your head having to adjust to your new style. We made fun of my older brother when he got his hair braided for this first time. He would hold his head in weird positions to stop the aching. Now, he feels nothing at all when his hair gets done.

Old 12-22-2008, 06:36 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,952,004 times
Did you just say "black woman"? I'm pretty sure the moderators dislike racial comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty