Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 04:31 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,962,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lubina View Post
Yes. Fashion and keeping yourself "up" is frivolous or even selfish if you have children. far too many aspire to the I don't give a damn, frumpy martyr look. Our idea of casual is pajama bottoms a dirty sweatshirt with a cat on it and a fanny pack. European casual is 2 in heels, a cashmere sweater and only 1 necklace.
LOL. So true. As far as the title of this thread goes, I think it depends on what county other women are from if they care more or less than American people. I found that almost all the women I know from Russian (and its former Soviet Republics) are fantastic dressers with great sense of fashion style. Could also be that they happen to be at the very very top of upper middle class or upper class that helps, but they all seem to be very very fashionable even in their saturday lounging around wear. My wife is like this. Even when she's wearing "grubs" like her Lululemon Athletica yoga/tights on saturdays, she STILL puts together the outfit that looks great.

The wife often comments on how some women dress when they are out and about. She says they dress like "didavenskis" (sp). Which is I believe Russian for like Hillbilly or frumpy rural hick town folk.

Also depends on where you live as well. Where I am in Los Angeles, women tend to appear to care a lot about fashion. Drive down the freeway a ways into Riverside or Simi Valley, and women there tend to NOT care so much about their fashion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2012, 04:53 PM

2,117 posts, read 5,369,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cushla View Post
Couldn't help but notice when visiting America just how many women were wearing huge tee-shirts with logo's on the front.
When I was in Europe (Excluding the UK), never saw a woman wear trainers (running shoes), hoodies, tshirts wih logos/sayings on the front, hats, or baggy jeans..

Old 03-08-2012, 07:59 PM

...and looking good and presenting yourself nicely.. is respectful to others. I.e., going into a place of business wearing slippers/hoodie/just out of bed is disrespectful

Old 03-08-2012, 08:57 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommodonahue View Post
When I was in Europe (Excluding the UK), never saw a woman wear trainers (running shoes), hoodies, tshirts wih logos/sayings on the front, hats, or baggy jeans..
Women wearing sneakers and sweatshirts? Oh the horror.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Women wearing sneakers and sweatshirts? Oh the horror.
Oh yeah, thanks for the sarcastic bit.

Never said it was wrong, just trying to state the differences between European standards and American. E.g., Women in Europe only wear workout clothes/casual clothes when they work out, not when they're in public. A cultural difference possibly worth exploring (the point of the thread).

Why don't you retreat from having such a closed mind and contribute something worth-while to the thread instead of being so arbitrary.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,224,288 times
Quote:
Oh yeah, thanks for the sarcastic bit.

Never said it was wrong, just trying to state the differences between European standards and American. E.g., Women in Europe only wear workout clothes/casual clothes when they work out, not when they're in public. A cultural difference possibly worth exploring (the point of the thread).

Why don't you retreat from having such a closed mind and contribute something worth-while to the thread instead of being so arbitrary.
Hmm, I would say it's close minded to look down on people for wearing sweatshirts and hoodies. What exactly do you mean by a place of business? I've never seen women wearing sweatshirts and sneakers in a professional environment.

With exception to social and work obligations, people should be able to dress however they want. Women shouldn't have to doll themselves up when they go to the grocery store or their child's soccer game. If they want to, that's there choice.

Old 03-08-2012, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I would say it's close minded to look down on people for wearing sweatshirts and hoodies. What exactly do you mean by a place of business? I've never seen women wearing sweatshirts and sneakers in a professional environment.

With exception to social and work obligations, people should be able to dress however they want. Women shouldn't have to doll themselves up when they go to the grocery store or their child's soccer game. If they want to, that's there choice.
Well, I never said I looked down people wearing sweatshirts/hoodies in my first post. Just stated a fact. Second post, I stated that is was disrespectful to wear that attire in certain occasions, that I did not specify (apologize).

I should have been more specific. If an individual is going to a professional environment; i.e., a bank to apply for a loan, look for a house, etc--that person shouldn't look like they just woke up out of bed. I think it's slightly disrespectful as that individual is requesting a service from a professional, and does not feel the need to dress for such an occasion. Groceries or child's soccer game? Sure, fair play. Wear whatever the hell you want. Personally, I wouldn't want to dress sloppily for a child's soccer game (Which, some may view as a 'social occasion..as opposed to obligation). I'll make an effort not to look like a just got up out of bed.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:36 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
Quote:
When you're traveling abroad, that's usually how you can spot other Americans.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:

No one is proposing enforcing a dress code.

But I think it's better to look put together (which almost never includes a hoodie). It shows respect for yourself and the people around you. Anyone may dress however they wish, it's a free country, but freedom comes with accepting the judgements that come from your choices.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:03 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
When you're traveling abroad, that's usually how you can spot other Americans.
To be fair, Americans and other tourists are probably dressed more comfortably than the locals out of necessity. I may run errands in cute little outfits and shoes, but when I'm touring a new city and will literally be on my feet for 12+ hours, going from cold museums and churches into hot streets and subways, I need shoes that will give me maximum comfort and clothes that can adjust for every temperature and terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty