Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 06:10 PM

52,684 posts, read 47,937,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kemba View Post
Is it true that they are coming back in style? I heard that recently. Also, I never understood why it became very taboo for a man to wear them like the old style. I've seen this topic discussed on Yahoo Answers a few times. Respectful posts only, please.

That'd be great if they did. They're especially great when men are completely fit and shapely, and for them, it would be a good option.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 10:22 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,807,106 times
Hell no. Shorty shorts are left for the girls, guys shorts need to be below the knee

Old 06-14-2010, 10:33 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,548,583 times

Old 06-20-2010, 08:31 PM

784 posts, read 1,981,047 times
Hip Hop culture sets the trend for fashion, especially for guys. If it embraces shorter shorts, which is doubtful, then they will be back in style. While slightly shorter shorts are coming out, most guys I know say they would never wear anything less than knee length. Also, most women do not like the idea either, which you can see on this thread.

Old 06-25-2010, 07:27 AM

89 posts, read 141,976 times
I grew up in 70's / 80's. As I recall, back then "short-shorts" referred to the type that were so short, they'd reveal a little of the bottom. By that definition, men and boys did NOT wear 'short shorts.' The attachment (if I did it right) shows typical wear of the era among grade-school kids, even to school. Those shorts were NOT considered 'short-shorts.' If a boy or girl were to wear shorts down to the knee (let alone covering the knee), they would have been laughed at b/c it was considered 'dorky' or 'nerdy,' and would have been told, 'those are old-people's shorts.' The boys in the pic would have not been considered 'gay.' In fact, many girls liked seeing the boys in shorts.

Personally, I was rather leg-shy as a boy, but on the occasions I wore them, I preferred the dolphin shorts that were shorter than the OP tennis style b/c they were more comfortable and allowed freer movement, not withstanding I got a nice tan. I didn't have an 'Adonis' body, but then again, only a few boys did.

When I was in college, it was the transition time when shorter shorts were not yet taboo, but longer shorts were the norm. My g/f at the time LOVED it when I wore the shorter shorts and she wanted them as short as possible w/o being indecent (or 'gay-looking'). I had a deep bronze tan and she confessed that her friends told her that they thought I looked good in the shorter shorts.

As the opinions here seem to differ, I suspect it's based on what each individual was 'raised' or 'socialized' to believe is 'normal' and 'weird.' Our fashion industry and culture presents absolutes as far as 'straight vs gay look' or 'manly vs sissy look.' Although such rules are easy to follow for the sheeple, they're hardly accommodating for the good of humanity (although they do make clothing companies richer and conforming consumers poorer!)

Okay, I'm being long-winded. Howver, for those who are nervous about men and boys showing more leg, so what if they do come back? Would the world end? Would it cost you anything? How much pain and suffering would you endure if you spotted boys out riding bikes in dolphin shorts or men in the grocery store in the 'Magnum PI' white shorts? I mean really, if we're mature adults, can we accept that not everyone is going to agree on fashion sense? Can a guy in long board shorts go fishing with a guy in mid-thigh shorts and get along?

Personally, I DO hope they come back b/c longer shorts are more 'restrictive.' But if that's all another guy wants to wear it's fine with me.
Attached Thumbnails
Shorter shorts for men-dolfsht1.jpg  

Old 06-25-2010, 06:20 PM

6,981 posts, read 10,944,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edspace View Post
I grew up in 70's / 80's. As I recall, back then "short-shorts" referred to the type that were so short, they'd reveal a little of the bottom. By that definition, men and boys did NOT wear 'short shorts.' The attachment (if I did it right) shows typical wear of the era among grade-school kids, even to school. Those shorts were NOT considered 'short-shorts.' If a boy or girl were to wear shorts down to the knee (let alone covering the knee), they would have been laughed at b/c it was considered 'dorky' or 'nerdy,' and would have been told, 'those are old-people's shorts.' The boys in the pic would have not been considered 'gay.' In fact, many girls liked seeing the boys in shorts.

Personally, I was rather leg-shy as a boy, but on the occasions I wore them, I preferred the dolphin shorts that were shorter than the OP tennis style b/c they were more comfortable and allowed freer movement, not withstanding I got a nice tan. I didn't have an 'Adonis' body, but then again, only a few boys did.

When I was in college, it was the transition time when shorter shorts were not yet taboo, but longer shorts were the norm. My g/f at the time LOVED it when I wore the shorter shorts and she wanted them as short as possible w/o being indecent (or 'gay-looking'). I had a deep bronze tan and she confessed that her friends told her that they thought I looked good in the shorter shorts.

As the opinions here seem to differ, I suspect it's based on what each individual was 'raised' or 'socialized' to believe is 'normal' and 'weird.' Our fashion industry and culture presents absolutes as far as 'straight vs gay look' or 'manly vs sissy look.' Although such rules are easy to follow for the sheeple, they're hardly accommodating for the good of humanity (although they do make clothing companies richer and conforming consumers poorer!)

Okay, I'm being long-winded. Howver, for those who are nervous about men and boys showing more leg, so what if they do come back? Would the world end? Would it cost you anything? How much pain and suffering would you endure if you spotted boys out riding bikes in dolphin shorts or men in the grocery store in the 'Magnum PI' white shorts? I mean really, if we're mature adults, can we accept that not everyone is going to agree on fashion sense? Can a guy in long board shorts go fishing with a guy in mid-thigh shorts and get along?

Personally, I DO hope they come back b/c longer shorts are more 'restrictive.' But if that's all another guy wants to wear it's fine with me.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:38 AM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,766,685 times
I hate long shorts. Even though I'm tall, it's difficult for me to find shorts that don't cover my knees. I will never understand why guys wear shorts that are really pants minus a few inches.

Shorts are supposed to be short! That's why they're called shorts!

I love my red swimsuit, because it's the perfect length (halfway down the thigh). Sometimes I wear it outside the pool because I just can't find anything like it at the store in the "shorts" department.

Old 06-27-2010, 01:40 PM

37,127 posts, read 42,193,480 times
I don't know. I think too far above the knee on men looks silly. I've been through all the trends since the 60's and I think it's just akward looking for men to show too much leg. It's a more feminine look and it throws me off. Plus many guys have hairy legs and it's not a great thing to look at. I see men in my area in the dolphin shorts while they are out running and stuff and while I think it's appropriate for working out it's still not a great look. But if a guy wants to wear it thats fine, I can just think silly thoughts and laugh about it in my head

I'm not saying all women look good in shorter shorts either, THEY DON'T, but this thread is about men.

Old 07-07-2010, 12:18 AM

2,511 posts, read 6,296,561 times
Okay, I'm going on a rant.

I went out looking to buy some shorts today. What I found were baggy pants with short legs. They fall about two to three inches below the knee on me. It is kind of ridiculous.

I've read through this thread and I'm not sure a lot of people are understanding the problem some of us have with long shorts. I see a lot of "short shorts" look "gay" type comments, while there are those of us who want normal shorts that are shorts, but not short shorts.

I think of "short shorts" as those things Richard Simmons wore. And yes, they don't look good on men, or most women.

Normal is near the knee, to maybe several, inches above the knee. On me, at least. I realize some people have short legs and those several inches would end up looking too short on some body types, which is why we have sizes, and sized appropriately, almost anyone should be able to find shorts and look reasonable.

I don't get this "anything above the knee is gay" thing. I see men wearing baggy shorts extending halfway between their knees and ankles with flowers on them. But because they are that long, I guess men wearing shorts with flowers on them is ok, and a man wearing khaki shorts an inch or so above the knee looks gay.

Picture this, you have all seen this wherever food is sold in this country. The fat dudes, of all ages, with the baseball cap on backwards, with a massive belly, carrying the largest jug of Coke in one hand while trying to balance three slices of pizza, several hot dogs and whatever else he can fit on that paper plate in the other hand while waddling through the store......but it is all good because he is wearing macho-man baggy shorts extending almost down to his ankles.

Furthermore, the crotch in these oversized shorts is placed not too far from the knees, which probably explains why so many men have that funny walk while wearing them. It kind of looks like they crapped themselves. What a sight many Americans are. But hey, they don't look gay, exposing their knees and all...

I think the answer lies in moderation folks. Too short, and people will start calling you Richard Simmons. Shorts extending three inches below the knee makes you look like you have a vocabulary consisting of the words, "yo, bro," and 'wassup!"

Old 07-15-2010, 07:07 AM

89 posts, read 141,976 times
Okay, now that I've been to the beach recently, I can say just how impractical the long shorts are. Not only would they give a dorky looking tan line, (if you don't roll them up to tan) but walking around in wet sandy and salty shorts rubbing your thighs, all the way down to your knees is cruel and unusual punishment. Yet guys suffer thru this because current taboo says, "don't bare your thighs or else your gay/girly." I think it's B.S!

Okay, lets go back to the 70's mindset. Clothes are for the wearer's comfort. They may also help in attracting a mate. But still... shorts are to keep cool and allow freer movement. Just because a bunch of 'ghetto boys' hide their scrawny bodies doesn't mean the rest of the world should follow suit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty