Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:07 AM

1,863 posts, read 4,300,247 times

Advertisements

I am also on the hunt for a sheer kaftan tunic, I really like this one- it isn't cotton though.

Vitamin A Signature Swimwear Collection 2009 - Designer Swimwear, swim accessories - Vitamin A Signature Swimwear (http://www.bestswimwear.com/vitamina-signature-swimwear2009/10-linen-silk-stripe-kaftan/index.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:32 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,718,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melaniej65 View Post
Goodness, are people REALLY that opposed to hemming a dress? It doesn't take very long (I do it by hand since I am blind) and it used to be a very basic skill. I guess that people are too busy these days...
Had to laugh at this one! I was taught sewing both by my mother and in school and grew up with a treadle Singer. Although I used to make a lot of my own clothes I don't have a sewing machine any more - but that's not to say that I may not buy myself another in the future.

The most hilarious thing is that, although I'm not blind, I do wear reading glasses and I'll be damned if I can see well enough to thread a needle! Something needed a quick sewing fix the other week and I called up a friend of mine and asked him if he could please bring over a threaded needle so I could do the fix. As long as the damned needle is threaded and ready I can do invisible hemming, chain stitch and so much more. I have one of those silly little wire gizmos which apparently make threading a needle a cinch but need some instruction on how THOSE things work.

I'm really SO capable in so many areas but the little things often elude me. Cheers!

Oh, and I LOVE ankle-length dresses and any hemming is so easy (as long as you can thread the needle!)

Old 06-24-2009, 07:56 AM

128 posts, read 639,058 times
For me, they never went out; they just became harder to find.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:11 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,125,593 times
STT-
There are 'self threading" needles easily available (in Wal Mart if yours still has a craft section!). It has a teeny slit in the top of the eye where you slide the thread into the eye (you stand the needle upright on a pin cushion). It works well but the thread can slip out of the eye so you may have to 're-thread' it again. It is like $1.30 for a packet of 6. You may wish to give these a try (it's what all we blind sewers (I am certainly no seamstress) use!!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 07:55 PM

1,343 posts, read 5,170,406 times
Thanks, girls!

I spent hours looking and finally found not exactly what I was looking for, but they had the crinkly gauze in a "tall" size.

Santorini Gauze Gown - Tonal Cotton - Crochet Lace - V Neckline - Raglan Sleeve - Flutter Sleeve | SoftSurroundings.com

this looked so nice and was on sale, so I got it, too!

Cozumel Caftan I - Ribbon Trim - Soutache - Split Neckline - Long Sleeves - Side Slits | SoftSurroundings.com

I sincerely appreciate your input!

Old 06-24-2009, 09:33 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
I really like those.
I'm glad you were able to find what you were looking for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssg II View Post
Thanks, girls!

I spent hours looking and finally found not exactly what I was looking for, but they had the crinkly gauze in a "tall" size.

Santorini Gauze Gown - Tonal Cotton - Crochet Lace - V Neckline - Raglan Sleeve - Flutter Sleeve | SoftSurroundings.com

this looked so nice and was on sale, so I got it, too!

Cozumel Caftan I - Ribbon Trim - Soutache - Split Neckline - Long Sleeves - Side Slits | SoftSurroundings.com

I sincerely appreciate your input!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:42 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,593,150 times
I like the Cozumel one!

I wore my knit maxi dress to work today, for the first time (wore a cami tank under it, as it has a kinda dramatically dipping neckline for work)...lots of compliments. I was worried it was a bit much, but it was a hit.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:12 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,403,352 times
I thought they were pretty trendy last year and it just seems like the masses caught on this year.

And to answer the OP's question, I don't own any for a few reasons: 1. I'm tall and they tend not to be long enough (I'm picky about where things should fall), 2: I'm big busted and most of these dresses aren't made with my chest in mind, 3: not my style (it's not that I don't like the looks of them, but they would just look silly on me and my body shape.)

Old 06-29-2009, 09:50 AM

6,266 posts, read 19,168,808 times
Default TJ Max

was in TJ Max on Saturday and that particular store had awesome long dresses on sale!!

Old 07-01-2009, 10:40 AM

8,672 posts, read 22,273,259 times
I have several long summer dresses. I like this style of dress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty