Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2011, 01:16 PM

2,296 posts, read 6,285,680 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennyMominRI View Post
I am 40 and I'm just starting to feel my skin get less firm. It needs to stop. I put a new pic in my profile that gives a good look at my face. What would you use to firm up skin?
If you listen very carefully at the beginning of this video, the esthetician, who is over 30 most likely and can pass for early 20s, says "you want to look for a product that contains RETIN-As". She means RETINOIDS. The deal is, there aren't products that contain these ingredients, the product usually IS that and not a moisturizer, anti oxidant, etc. You really have to get it in your mind that moisturizing isn't going to save your skin after 30. You need a *skin renewer*, a retinoid like Retin-a.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfHBzAK_cw

This kid is a little obnoxious sounding and also young, don't let that put you off. He goes right to the point and calls Retin-a a "ant aging silver bullet".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZJlIHZPZF4

For even more information about Retin-a, read the skin board on Imminist.com:
Skin & Hair - LONGECITY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 01:35 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I don't think her skin is terrible, but I didn't get very far into the video so maybe there's a close up? I'm not particularly fond of her eye shadow choices, but hey, if she likes it and feels good wearing it, more power to her.
Yeah she looks like she has great skin, but has no idea how to apply makeup.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:37 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
I have very sensitve skin - I cannot use anything with retinoids in it - much too harsh. I do exfoliate regularly. I'm 60 and I have great skin - no retinoids and almost no wrinkles.

Old 03-12-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
Yeah she looks like she has great skin, but has no idea how to apply makeup.
She has *terrible* skin, that is why her makeup looks awful. I had a little of that dark eyeshadow look going on in my 30s also..... if you really want smoky eyes you *must* do skincare, otherwise you'll look like a dark old lady.

I personally feel that going through the irritation of Retin-a is worth it. I have strong skin that tans & have used it 3 months... I have peeling, but nothing too bad. I alternate the RA with Avene Retrinal which is a gentler form of retinoid called retinaldehyde.

Rétrinal+ Cream*- Avène

You could also start with retinol and gradually work up to RA. That's what I did. Don't waste time with drugstore stuff though-- get a product that actually has retinol in it:

Affirm:
affirm at SkinStore.com

Green Cream:
Advanced Skin Technology

All Trans Retinol:
Strongest All-Trans Retinol 1.0% & 2.0% | NCN Pro Skincare

Old 03-12-2011, 01:55 PM

13,250 posts, read 42,788,282 times
I don't need retin-a. Most people don't need it. It's not a necessary thing for someone who is content in their lives, who take decent care of themselves, have no medical need to "fix" something that isn't "broken."

Old 03-12-2011, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnonChick View Post
I don't need retin-a. Most people don't need it. It's not a necessary thing for someone who is content in their lives, who take decent care of themselves, have no medical need to "fix" something that isn't "broken."
There are articles about it all over the Internet as a medical solution to wrinkles. Doctors have been prescribing it for 25 years for this purpose. If you don't want to prevent or fix your wrinkles, don't. But stop judging those of us who do!

Old 03-12-2011, 09:02 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,052,779 times
Hmmm do those "doctors" sell wrinkle cream with retenol? My grandmother had the most gorgeous skin - even in her 80's...my mother is now in her early 80's - fabulous skin. Neither of those women ever saw a retenol in their lives. You don't need retenol to have beautiful skin. Fact.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:12 PM

Oh b.s. If I hear one more "my 80 year old grandmother had beautiful skin" story, I will throw up. We get it, you love your grandmother. Old people have old skin, period. If you want to look young for your age, use retinoids. This is what the medical establishment has said for 25 years........I grew up hearing about Retin-a, it's a key product.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
Hmmm do those "doctors" sell wrinkle cream with retenol? My grandmother had the most gorgeous skin - even in her 80's...my mother is now in her early 80's - fabulous skin. Neither of those women ever saw a retenol in their lives. You don't need retenol to have beautiful skin. Fact.

Old 03-12-2011, 11:32 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,375,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
What did they use on their face?
ETA: Has anyone used the new Ponds anti wrinkle cream?

Old 03-12-2011, 11:45 PM

Omg, who has time? Life is so freaking short people---- Pond's doesn't and never has sold an "anti wrinkle cream". The cosmetic companies sell moisturizers...... you're so with it, you wash your face and moisturize. Horrible advice for anyone over 30!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
What did they use on their face?
ETA: Has anyone used the new Ponds anti wrinkle cream?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty