Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 10:50 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okie_Dokie! View Post
I was shopping the other day and saw a couple with three small children. The man was wearing a t-shirt that said "F*** em" in big letters on the front.
Aren't there laws against profanity in public places?
I felt so sorry for those little girls.
I just can't imagine my mom or dad wearing something like that at all!
What is wrong with people today?! No class at all!

Okie

Gross. All unique T-shirts should be banned unless they're quoting "Anchorman".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 10:59 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,882,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda0808 View Post
Wow, that's crazy. Sometimes I can't get over some of the things that people will wear in public. Then again, I'll be the last one to go up to them and tell them something because I hate when people do that to me. But to be wearing a shirt with a bunch of swear words in a public place with kids around is a bit odd.
Worse, this was a KID WEARING IT!!!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:18 AM

8,652 posts, read 17,243,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
But is a mall or shopping center really "private property"? Do the proprietors thereof allow only certain people onto that property, or is that property open to everyone, i.e: the public? There are a number of things to consider. I would suggest everyone who is so inclined to bash me, FIRST read the amendments to the constitution and see what they say - and understand them. When I say read them, I mean really study them - please don't simply scan over them. Then, come back and take another stab at old Twinkle Toes.

Another point to ponder ... Are the words on the shirt plainly offensive AND do they constitute a threat? If the answer to both of these questions is no, then the speech is protected by the first amendment.
Yes, Malls are private property, that's how they can set the hours that kids can run around them without an adult with them.

Just because a place is there for the public to use does not make it public property if it is privately owned. Any business owner can restrict the use of the property to the public as long as they do not use race, religion or sex as one of their reasons.

If you think you are 100% protected by the first amendment, then I suggest you try walking down the hallway of one of you local public schools with a shirt that has the "F" word on it. You will be told to leave and if you refuse you will be arrested.

Just like the 2nd amendment the 1st amendment is there to protect us from our government, not each other.

Added:

If what you are saying is true then I would have the right to sue City Data for censoring the "F" word with "****" for restricting my freedom of speech..

Old 08-31-2009, 11:23 AM

5,258 posts, read 9,143,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
That's just sad. There's no way I would ever let my son wear something so controversial...it all goes back to the parents.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:35 AM

Amendment I

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
"The man was wearing a t-shirt that said "F*** em" in big letters on the front"

Did I miss something? LOL

Old 08-31-2009, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
"The man was wearing a t-shirt that said "F*** em" in big letters on the front"

Did I miss something? LOL
The person the OP saw was a grown man w/ kids in tow.
The person I saw was a KID!
Two different scenarios. Both bad, imho.

Old 08-31-2009, 11:47 AM

Quote:
The person the OP saw was a grown man w/ kids in tow.
The person I saw was a KID!
Two different scenarios. Both bad, imho.
If one one of my kids had ever worn anything like that, lets just say! Yep, I see now where I missed your part...

Old 08-31-2009, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
If one one of my kids had ever worn anything like that, lets just say!
I totally know what you mean. Yet for some reason he was WITH his family and this was AFTER Christmas and I got the feeling he probably got it as a gift. FOR CHRISTMAS! There are SOOOOO many things wrong with this one that it's not even funny. I can see the humor in some of the shirts, like the _ _tch board shirts even though I would not buy one much less wear it. Yet this one was just too far out there. Wrong, just wrong on so many levels.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:14 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
I am a conservative person (and a conservative dresser), but I could care less what someone is wearing on their shirt.

That's their shirt, their right to display whatever belief or idea they want, and how is it even my business? Don't like it, don't look at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty