Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM

87 posts, read 119,141 times

Advertisements

My mom is from the plains of Southeast Colorado and has a very thick Southern Accent in a Western style. Dog & frog for example are said with a long O. Where someone is from doesn't always fit stereotypes or predicted accents.

Old 12-05-2007, 02:56 PM

2,978 posts, read 4,001,722 times
Agreed DC...the economy is becoming completely service oriented, and with that low paying. The jobs that are middle/working class/union types are either being filled with low wage workers (new arrivals/illegals) or are outsourced to a different part of the country or, more often, outside of the country. The best paying jobs are left to those that are already "connected" so that leaves 95% (i.e. everyone) pretty much screwed. That is the future.

Old 12-05-2007, 03:05 PM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I think that problem isn't just isolated to Northwest Arkansas. With the American economy increasingly becoming a service economy, this disparity is going to become increasingly common. I will say that there are still homes available, especially in the outlying towns, for under $125,000, and a good number of them, while older, actually come on bigger lots than the new houses in town. Bella Vista, Centerton, Pea Ridge, Little Flock, Elm Springs and so on are all easy, easy commutes to the larger cities. As a single woman not employed by Wal-Mart, JB Hunt, or Tyson, I still managed to save and buy a little house of my own just a couple of years ago, and it's very affordable.

Well, you're probably dead on there. With the loss of skilled labor jobs we have essentially low paying service or high paying white collar jobs left. Not much left in the middle middle class.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:20 PM

26 posts, read 146,373 times
Smile Misconceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirlyGirl View Post
I can understand the homes being taken away comment. It really is more of a case that people who grew up in the area can't afford to buy houses in town anymore. The property values are so high that if you don't have a huge salary or have a 2+ income family, you can't afford to buy in town or even the outling little towns. The only really affordable properties are at least 30 minutes from Fayetteville, Springdale, or Rogers.

That presents another problem, the little towns are being flooded by people and the schools and local governments can't handle the influx. So the educational opportunities are severely limited and you can't transfer to Rogers, Springdale, or Fayetteville without a miracle. So, the perpetuation of the weathy who can afford to live in town get better educations, while those who have to live in the smaller towns have to settle for limited eduational opportunities, poor and severely overcrowded school facilities, and fewer resources.
To address the first comment: It is absolutely NOT true that you have to live 30 minutes outside of these towns to own a home unless you are a 2 income family. It is very far from the truth. I know single mothers (not living off of child support), single guys, single retirees on SS and pensions who own homes. Some of the homes are brand new, some not, but none of them are dilapidated or even close to it. I know what they paid for them and I know what they pay every month. Unless you are barely getting by making minimum wage (and I have been there, so save the comments) or have very bad spending habits, most people can get a house.
To address the second comment: I know people who have bought and are buying 400k+ homes who have just as much trouble getting their kids into the school that is zoned for them, because of growth. They have been put on wait lists and others will be. In Bentonville, we have had several new elementary schools and middle schools open this year alone. NWA schools have very high ratings and every year we get a report card of the schools in our area. You can go on to any schools website and see what the enrollment is and anything else you could possibly think of.
Growth is not a bad thing. It is going to take a little more time for the infrastructure to be able to support the rapid growth we have experienced, but when I think of all of the other things that this has brought to our area, I am thankful. I sit in a little traffic just like everyone else does at certain times of day, but compared to driving 30 minutes from the boondocks to get groceries it is no different.
My suggestion to anyone thinking of moving to the area is visit. Spend 3 or 4 days and plan it a little before you get here. Think of the things that are most important to you in a place you might live and make those a priority. There are going to be people who will make it sound like Heaven and those who will make it sound like Hell. Email people privately who sound like they have a well rounded point of view and ask them some questions. I hope this helps anyone thinking of moving here. Best of luck!

Old 12-05-2007, 09:16 PM

3 posts, read 14,341 times
Default Best described

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajo58 View Post
I do not know why Northwest Arkansas is so popular, the people there are mean and rude, the traffic is terrible(everywhere you go there is traffic and road construction further making getting around terrible), natives are getting their homes taken away left and right in the name of big business, the area is being overrun by illegal aliens, it's horrible. In NWA it is all about making money and no one cares about anybody else except for themselves. Bella Vista is the worst with all of those old snoots from the north. I have recently moved back to Benton from Rogers and I will never live in NWA again and I encourage any decent people who sees this message to never move there.
I am from little rock and after moving around and visiting many places, I felt more out of place any part of town I went. I come from a low mid-class home and a part of little rock that has friendly and down to Earth people anywhere you go. When I go in for a mountain dew and gas I am greeted and thanked where in NWA, I wasnt ''one of them" and get "what are you doing here looks" lol . I guess what Im trying to say is that NWA for the most part isnt welcoming at all. When I left after spending almost a month there I was so relieved to get away. But where there is money to be made so will the popularity.

Thanks, Cityer

Old 12-06-2007, 09:21 PM

155 posts, read 662,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityer_525 View Post
I am from little rock and after moving around and visiting many places, I felt more out of place any part of town I went. I come from a low mid-class home and a part of little rock that has friendly and down to Earth people anywhere you go. When I go in for a mountain dew and gas I am greeted and thanked where in NWA, I wasnt ''one of them" and get "what are you doing here looks" lol . I guess what Im trying to say is that NWA for the most part isnt welcoming at all. When I left after spending almost a month there I was so relieved to get away. But where there is money to be made so will the popularity.

Thanks, Cityer
Thats funny. I always have a good time when I'm up in NWA, yet I got laughed at by some thugs outside of little rock when I went to a gas station.

Old 12-07-2007, 04:07 AM

90 posts, read 352,867 times
OK!! WHAT? LOL!! Your kidding right? You think NWA is crowded and not friendly? OMG!! Look man, you know that guy that says he is from Miami, well, I am also from Miami and I have been living in Rogers for 19 months. And guess what, your wrong!! I think you might have had a few bad experiences and just soured on the whole area. But I have to tell you, this is the best place I have ever lived in. I work at a hospital and the people I work with are nothing like anyone I ever worked with in Miami. Everyone welcomed me like family and they treat everyone equally.
I NEVER stand in line for food. Only one time at Olive Garden but that was because it just opened. What do you think I waited the next time I was there? Nothing!!
Nobody is being "forced" to sell their homes. They are making alot of money for selling them in the name of progress. In the short time I have been here I have seen the area grow at a good rate.
Traffic? Please!! I think I have sat in one traffic jam since I have been here and it was because of an accident.
I am hispanic (Cuban) and I expected to be treated differently when I came up here and I was, compared to Miami. I was treated nicely and people dont give me dirty looks for the most part. They might look curiously and sometimes have even come up to me to ask where I am from. I am not exactly common here.
Houses are there for the taking. I was in the market to rent a home this past week and spoke to several (polite) realtors. And they were all trying to get me to buy a home instead because the prices are dropping and nobody is buying. Try finding a 4 bedroom 2 bath 1800 sf house with fireplace, Jaccuzzi Tub on a nice lot for 140k in Miami. Good luck!! Yeah, the homes here might not be as cheap as anywhere else in the state but guess what, there is no place I would prefer to live in Arkansas. I have travelled all over this state and this is it man. Most of the state follows the "Arkansas Steroetype". So get over your hang ups and like someone else said. You dont like it, Take hwy 540 north or south and you dont have to deal with it. To anyone else, dont be fooled by the negativity from this guy. NWA is a great place to live.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:52 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sergio View Post
OK!! WHAT? LOL!! Your kidding right? You think NWA is crowded and not friendly? OMG!! Look man, you know that guy that says he is from Miami, well, I am also from Miami and I have been living in Rogers for 19 months. And guess what, your wrong!! I think you might have had a few bad experiences and just soured on the whole area. But I have to tell you, this is the best place I have ever lived in. I work at a hospital and the people I work with are nothing like anyone I ever worked with in Miami. Everyone welcomed me like family and they treat everyone equally.
I NEVER stand in line for food. Only one time at Olive Garden but that was because it just opened. What do you think I waited the next time I was there? Nothing!!
Nobody is being "forced" to sell their homes. They are making alot of money for selling them in the name of progress. In the short time I have been here I have seen the area grow at a good rate.
Traffic? Please!! I think I have sat in one traffic jam since I have been here and it was because of an accident.
I am hispanic (Cuban) and I expected to be treated differently when I came up here and I was, compared to Miami. I was treated nicely and people dont give me dirty looks for the most part. They might look curiously and sometimes have even come up to me to ask where I am from. I am not exactly common here.
Houses are there for the taking. I was in the market to rent a home this past week and spoke to several (polite) realtors. And they were all trying to get me to buy a home instead because the prices are dropping and nobody is buying. Try finding a 4 bedroom 2 bath 1800 sf house with fireplace, Jaccuzzi Tub on a nice lot for 140k in Miami. Good luck!! Yeah, the homes here might not be as cheap as anywhere else in the state but guess what, there is no place I would prefer to live in Arkansas. I have travelled all over this state and this is it man. Most of the state follows the "Arkansas Steroetype". So get over your hang ups and like someone else said. You dont like it, Take hwy 540 north or south and you dont have to deal with it. To anyone else, dont be fooled by the negativity from this guy. NWA is a great place to live.
Bravo, Sergio!! Hopefully that "Arkansas Stereotype" will be dying out for the most part. I hope though that we can manage to keep our rural, rustic, independent mindset while not coming off as so insular.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:29 AM

20 posts, read 131,607 times
Preach on Brother Sergio! You hit the nail on the head.

I too, am not a native. Grew up in Denver. Spent time in Nebraska, Memphis, Jackson, Nashville, and now here. And I wouldn't leave NWA to go back to Denver if you paid me because there's far too much of what everyone is complaining about here - traffic, crime, rude people. The Wal*Mart business brought us here as well as 90% of our neighbors.

If we "outsiders" have ruined the community you natives had, collectively we're sorry. I bet though if you asked Sam Walton if he thought his 5 & dime on the square downtown would grow to be the largest retailer in the world and make NWA the center of the retail universe, he would have smiled, because he had a vision.

Please look around. Look what a great community this has grown into. For as important as this area is in the large scheme of the world's economic landscape and for as many six and seven digit salaries that roll through XNA every day, this is still a small town. Very small. Those folks spend lots of money here. Hotels, dining, retail, tax dollars, all that have helped shape the ecomomy here and make it a better place to live. If you disagree, please, spend 6 months to a year in a big city and tell me its a better place to live because there's no traffic, crime, or waiting in line at a restaurant.

Old 12-07-2007, 09:29 AM

8,262 posts, read 18,480,961 times
brajo58-people are usually treated as they treat others. i have ALWAYS been treated wonderfully in NWA. Maybe its you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers