Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers
 [Register]
Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers Northwest Arkansas
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 01:04 AM

90 posts, read 352,867 times

Advertisements

DeeDee Come on up, I will show you around!!

Old 12-11-2007, 09:26 PM

5 posts, read 18,378 times
Default Boy, Are you slanted?????

When my wife and I moved to NWA just 3 years ago, (after living in New England and Orlando, FL), my wife came home from work one day and asked me, "Do they put Prozac in the public water supply here, 'cause the people here are sooo nice?". Now, I don't know how many of you have been anywhere from New Jersey; and north, but for a gal from New England to say that about a place is monumental! I have had very few moments of rudeness in NWA, and believe me I would have noted them, and would have no problem sharing my experiences with this group.

Now..... on to the meat and potatoes of this argument. "The Natives are getting their homes taken away, left and right......" Let us bring this to light!!! The natives have been cashing in!!!! For the property owners of tract land, that have been getting up to $50,000+ per acre (VOLUNTARILY), I see no victim here??

Now for the Devil's Advocate Role: There are some who defy growth and development, and protest publicly. They may indeed have a heritage that runs with the land, and this cannot be denied. Such was the case with my Grandparents in West Fork. They were forced off of thier land, and paid a "fair price" for the mountain land where I used to visit as a child. Now, at mile marker 53.5, of I540, the southbound lanes run through/over what used to be their homesite, and the northbound lanes run through/over what used to be the barn and corral where my cousins, and I, used to pick pears and feed them to the horses. This was about 25 years ago, when the land of Northwest AR was valued at much less that it was in the past few years.

This is the price that the elders paid for progress. THIS SACRIFICE IS THE REASON THAT THE PROPERTY IN NWA HAS VALUE TODAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Without this sacrifice, NWA would have been a fly's fart in the global economy! Instead, there are a number of players, from this region, that have made their way into global markets. Think about it?? The value of NWA should not be credited to the most recent developments (and those who cashed in on the most recent Boom), but those who sold land a quarter of a century ago.

The "Price of Progress" is scattered throughout the nursing homes, graveyards, and wills/estates of a time that has past. Let's not discredit that with the squabbles of the present.

As for the Immigration issues? This is everywhere!!!!!!!! I've seen it from coast to coast, as have many of us. There are a lot of good people trying to make a better life for their families......who are you to judge???

And your attack on Bella Vista, I just don't understand that at all. Have you ever been to Bella Vista???? If so, have you ever done more than pump gas there?? Moderator cut: edit

Enjoy your life in Benton, as we will enjoy our lives in NWA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brajo58 View Post
I do not know why Northwest Arkansas is so popular, the people there are mean and rude, the traffic is terrible(everywhere you go there is traffic and road construction further making getting around terrible), natives are getting their homes taken away left and right in the name of big business, the area is being overrun by illegal aliens, it's horrible. In NWA it is all about making money and no one cares about anybody else except for themselves. Bella Vista is the worst with all of those old snoots from the north. I have recently moved back to Benton from Rogers and I will never live in NWA again and I encourage any decent people who sees this message to never move there.

Last edited by Sam I Am; 12-12-2007 at 02:53 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 AM

452 posts, read 1,639,839 times
I still don't find people here particuliarly friendly, theres 2 types of friendliness one is fake, one is genuine. People in NWA (as in most of the south) have fake friendliness which is often perceived as genuine hospitality, but dig a little deeper and you will realize its not. People in the north or wherever may come across as being rude, or maybe they arent rude they are just not being fake......but if you find a native there that is friendly its probably because they are genuinely friendly....different cultures=different ways of thinking=different mannerisms

Old 12-12-2007, 07:38 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,758,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
I still don't find people here particuliarly friendly, theres 2 types of friendliness one is fake, one is genuine. People in NWA (as in most of the south) have fake friendliness which is often perceived as genuine hospitality, but dig a little deeper and you will realize its not. People in the north or wherever may come across as being rude, or maybe they arent rude they are just not being fake......but if you find a native there that is friendly its probably because they are genuinely friendly....different cultures=different ways of thinking=different mannerisms
WOW!! have you ever LIVED in the north??? They are NOT genuinely friendly!!! Over there, you can have a LOT of good acquaintences but if you don't make a lot of money and can't help them get up the ladder you'll never be a real friend. Arkansans are definitely reserved, especially anywhere in the Ozarks. But if you make a friend there, they'll stick with you through thick and thin! Not so back in the NE. Once you've lost your usefulness, fahgetabotit!!!

What you perceive as genuine friendliness back east is nothing more than extroversion. After 6 years in MD, I'll tell you without a doubt northeasterners are not genuine, just easier to get to know.

Last edited by Stormcrow73; 12-12-2007 at 07:51 AM..

Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 AM

5,981 posts, read 18,266,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetmeoutofAR View Post
different cultures=different ways of thinking=different mannerisms
Goodness, can't you find that anywhere? Even in the different regions of Arkansas there are different ways of thinking. Go from Dumas to Rogers and tell me it ain't different! 'bout as different as going Maine to Georgia...people are just people mostly. You get back what you put forth.

Old 12-12-2007, 04:56 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brajo58 View Post
I do not know why Northwest Arkansas is so popular, the people there are mean and rude, the traffic is terrible(everywhere you go there is traffic and road construction further making getting around terrible), natives are getting their homes taken away left and right in the name of big business, the area is being overrun by illegal aliens, it's horrible. In NWA it is all about making money and no one cares about anybody else except for themselves. Bella Vista is the worst with all of those old snoots from the north. I have recently moved back to Benton from Rogers and I will never live in NWA again and I encourage any decent people who sees this message to never move there.
I don't know why you feel that way but apparently somthing caused you to view NWA and Bella Vista very differently than most. I really dnn't feel all those living in BV are from the north and we have found them very warm and friendly. I can think of many places in the good ole USA were people are not friendly, BV and NWA is not one of them. As for natives getting their homes taken away, what do you bet they are laughing all the way to the bank. Of course there really are not that many natives as most of the area has been developed in the past 20 or so years. I am guessing your encouraging anyone not to move there will fall on deaf ears.

Nita

Old 12-16-2007, 06:21 PM

40 posts, read 154,089 times
NWA is overrated I think.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:18 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,866,625 times
Anthonym, when was the last time you were in Northwest Arkansas?

Old 12-17-2007, 08:39 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,690,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonym267 View Post
NWA is overrated I think.
In what way and why do you say that? I am not trying to start an arguement, I just wonder what you are basing your opinion on?

Nita

Last edited by ontheroad; 12-17-2007 at 05:15 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 04:21 PM

44 posts, read 173,685 times
Default hmmmm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
In what way and why do you say that? I am not trying to start an arguement, I just wonder what you are basing your opinion on?

Nita
That a girl. I always used to tell my students...."no matter where you go;you still have to take yourself with you!"

art

Last edited by ontheroad; 12-17-2007 at 05:15 PM.. Reason: adding "not" :)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arkansas > Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers