Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times

Advertisements

I guess this thread is sort of like a poll. Here's what I have:

One bowl--contains a Betta I call "Charlie"
One 1 gallon nano tank containing a goldfish called "Klaus" (after AMerican Dad) Originally Klaus wasn't the first resident . I had a Betta named George in there first. When my backyard pond fell th rough, I rescued two goldfish and put them in the nano tank after George passed away. Now I am down to one goldie.
One of those 3 gallon 360 LED tanks that changes color-contains two small tetras and a neon tetra.
One 20 gallon tank. This is a work in progress. I put the remaining three fish from a 5 gallon tank in this new one and we shall see how this will progress.

So far 20 gallon is about as big a tank as I am willing to fool with. Anything bigger would dominate my space....no offense to the people on here who keep hige tanks, I respect that.

I used to own a 10 gallon tank, but people would tell me a 20 gallon is much better and cost effective long term.

I prefer tetras (neon, rummy nose, etc.) danios, glofish and guppies as my choices of community fish.

So what does everyone else keep/own?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 01:42 PM

4,187 posts, read 11,930,625 times
I have everything from a 5gal shrimp tanks up to 180 gallon wild discus tank.

These days, the "nano" (smaller tanks) are popular for fresh or salt water but they are not really for beginners.

Old 01-20-2012, 06:23 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoky_topaz View Post
I guess this thread is sort of like a poll. Here's what I have:

One bowl--contains a Betta I call "Charlie"
One 1 gallon nano tank containing a goldfish called "Klaus" (after AMerican Dad) Originally Klaus wasn't the first resident . I had a Betta named George in there first. When my backyard pond fell th rough, I rescued two goldfish and put them in the nano tank after George passed away. Now I am down to one goldie.
One of those 3 gallon 360 LED tanks that changes color-contains two small tetras and a neon tetra.
One 20 gallon tank. This is a work in progress. I put the remaining three fish from a 5 gallon tank in this new one and we shall see how this will progress.

So far 20 gallon is about as big a tank as I am willing to fool with. Anything bigger would dominate my space....no offense to the people on here who keep hige tanks, I respect that.

I used to own a 10 gallon tank, but people would tell me a 20 gallon is much better and cost effective long term.

I prefer tetras (neon, rummy nose, etc.) danios, glofish and guppies as my choices of community fish.

So what does everyone else keep/own?

I have six aquariums ranging between 10-46 gallons in size, as well as a goldfish pond. I have a lot of community fish. Everything from a betta in my 10, to an angelfish in the 46, platies, mollies, guppies, swordtails, a school of glass catfish, cherry barbs, bn plecos, and numerous schools of tetras and danios.

I do want to point out something to you, I hope you won't take offense-----your goldfish in a bowl is a baby goldfish right now. Goldfish, living in healthy conditions, will live 30 years or so. They grow up to 10" or more in length, especially the common varieties you see sold as "feeder" fish. It's a myth that fish will only grow to the size of their environment; if kept in a bowl or small tank they will either become stunted (their intestines continue to grow while their spine curves unnaturally) or they will simply die.

Nano tanks really only benefit the manufacturers, as they are too small for most fish.

Tetras and neons are schooling fish, for better healthy they should be in groups of at least 5. And they really need more space than 5 gallons, too. I apologize if I have offended you, but I thought you might want to reconsider your stocking for the health of your fish. It is always disappointing to have fish die in our care.

Old 01-20-2012, 03:40 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
well right now i have:

1 gallon: veil Betta
1 gallon: veil Betta
7 gallon: double Tail Betta and 6 glolight tetra
75 gallon: currently home to 6 brilliant rasbora, 8 neon tetra, 6 glolight tetra, 4 corydora, 3 cherry barbs and a Veil angel. (hoping to add at least 1 more angel to the tank, 3 more cherry barbs, 2 mote corydora and some Ottos.)

Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,230,742 times
Right now, my husband just has a 29 gal. salt water tank.

Old 01-21-2012, 10:43 PM

38,892 posts, read 22,875,846 times
I have a 60-gallon tropical freshwater tank with 3 medium-sized tinfoil barbs, a silver dollar and 3 clown loaches. I'm thinking of trading the barbs for smaller, more colorful fish. Still thinking about it.

Old 01-22-2012, 05:48 PM

196 posts, read 696,958 times
Tanks range from 5gal to 150gal, but the ones smaller than 29gal are empty. Mostly Lake Malawi cichlids.

Old 01-23-2012, 10:03 PM

438 posts, read 947,054 times
I've got a 30 gallon with 8 minnows, 3 platies, a swordtail, a pleco (not the type that grows large), a gold dojo loach and a rainbow shark. It's a little overstocked because I was intending to release the minnows (I saved them from a drying up ditch) but never did...they are happy little dudes and I got kind of attached. At any rate, I keep the tank clean and all is well.
Second tank is a 55 gallon, with a single flowerhorn cichlid as the occupant. She's probably about 6 inches now but will be around 12 full grown. Eventually I will get her a bigger tank and set up the 55 gallon as a community tank.

Old 01-24-2012, 04:08 PM

752 posts, read 2,086,640 times

Old 02-01-2012, 11:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
55 gal reef tank at school. 450 gal salt community tank at home. Way more than that at work but those aren't really mine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish