Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2022, 01:32 PM

5,977 posts, read 7,365,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickpatio2018 View Post
I'm in Flagstaff for the first time but my impression has been extremely positive. My expectations were in part based on postings on this website, which derided Flagstaff as kind of backwards economically and lacking in personality somehow, i.e. nothing but dope-smoking left-wing extremists out of touch with the world (type thing).

However, I came here and what has impressed me the most is how beautifully the city has worked on its aesthetics. The streets are lined with trees and shrubs in a way that gives it a woodsy vibe and softens the look of commercial developments along the main arteries, unlike most cities. New buildings and signs are being done in colors and materials that give the area a consistent overall look and personality, similar to what I've seen in places like Colorado.

I haven't found traffic to be an issue. The city has a nice interstate and the main commercial arteries move along pretty well. The downtown is tasteful and charming. The scenery is gorgeous and the climate is nice. What's not to love? I'm surprised that Flagstaff isn't as famous as places like Boulder and Asheville (and Scottsdale for that matter, which looks amazing). Maybe they will be once the word gets out as to how nice it is here.
We don't want the word to get out, as it's tough enough as it is between the touristas and the students at NAU.

I'm not sure what postings you saw on City-Data, but other than the constant complaining about housing costs and availability (which are well founded), I think most things said are positive. Flagstaff is a great place to live, despite it's warts, of which every place has in some form or another.

I'm not sure where you drove, but Milton, the main north/south artery on the west side of town, is heavily traveled at all times of the day. As you move away from the city center traffic gets better, especially if you know the side streets and how to avoid the main arterials. The downtown area is nice but parking can be an issue at certain times of the year.

What's not to love? Exactly!

RM

Last edited by MortonR; 03-17-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2022, 06:25 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,974,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
The only reason I'm living in Flagstaff is because of my job. Cost of living-wise, Flag and Phoenix are inching closer together.
Housing wise they are pretty much on par now. Never thought I'd see that!

Old 08-04-2022, 07:15 AM

39 posts, read 20,350 times
Left AZ not that long ago
In AZ lived just outside Flag, lived in Verde Valley and Sedona too.

Spent vacation time in CO, NM, CA, TX.
Just another opinionated boomer here,
but much has changed and not for the better.
Better shopping I can do without.
Gladly exchange for less traffic, less stress, lower COL.

The cost of housing went crazy in AZ.
Many I knew were just getting by when I left,
think they must have got crushed with COL now.
When lived outside Flag, at least once or twice a
month I'd hear someone repeat the Flagstaff mantra -
"poverty with a view."

Really miss EZ drive to GC,
South rim that is. North rim great, but longer drive.

Old 08-13-2022, 11:52 AM

13,689 posts, read 7,973,244 times
When I was living overseas in Japan I taught ELS at a number of J-universities. One of the school had a strong swim team and several of the kids in my classes were on the J-national team. Japan travels with three teams to international competitions.

I recall one year students telling me they trained in Flagstaff during their winter break. Why Flagstaff?

Probably because it was a hellva lot cheaper than Hawaii where they usually went.

Old 08-13-2022, 04:35 PM

24,448 posts, read 25,978,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
When I was living overseas in Japan I taught ELS at a number of J-universities. One of the school had a strong swim team and several of the kids in my classes were on the J-national team. Japan travels with three teams to international competitions.

I recall one year students telling me they trained in Flagstaff during their winter break. Why Flagstaff?

Probably because it was a hellva lot cheaper than Hawaii where they usually went.
^^ That and this.

https://www.swimmingworldmagazine.co...r-competition/

Old 08-14-2022, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post

Altitude. Train at 7,000' (and higher) year 'round and you'll be far better off in a number of ways than those training at sea level.

That's why it's a mecca for distance runners and their training. NAU has a very strong track and distance running program as a result.

RM

Old 10-05-2022, 02:28 AM

7 posts, read 5,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I can't decide if I like Flagstaff or not. It is "town" for me, where I have to go to get supplies, so I'm there a lot but still can't quite decide if I like it.

The cali plate thing. It is everywhere in Northern AZ. The boomers are now retiring in droves. They will keep coming and for the next few decades with cash and tude No smaller town in AZ is safe.

The pizza thing: I've noticed a decline in almost all pizza places it seems. Even Spinatos in Tempe, which I loved, it looks the same, seems to taste roughly the same, but the post pizza meal buzz is almost completely absent now. Only thing I can think of is the suppliers of ingredients have consolidated and lessened their quality.

Flagstaff is still beautiful though. Most of the people are fairly nice. There are young families there (how they afford it I don't know but there are kids around). You can find housing in the low 300ks...too rich for many of us but for a Cali that is dirt cheap. Prices outside of housing aren't too bad and there are decent restaurants for a town of it's size. All pluses that I can't decide if they outweigh the negatives.

I don't know, parts of Flagstaff away from NAU I think would be OK if you could afford it. Munds park might worth considering. But over all the Cali flood of retirees, even though individually many of them are nice, IMHO is ruining most Northern AZ towns and it isn't going to change anytime soon. You either have to make peace with that demographic fact or like you said KurtAZ start looking elsewhere, which sucks if you love AZ like I'm sure we all do.

I've been passively looking at Grand Rapids Michigan or the South. Not thrilled about either but housing is affordable. But then, would I be some sort of horde descending on them and pissing the locals there off? Irony...
My parents used to have a cabin in Munds park (on Iron springs rd) It was heaven on earth. They ended up selling it a few years ago. I so wished they didn't since i would move there in a heartbeat. I really want to live in Flagstaff, but the rent is ridiculously high (studio for $1700 per month!) And 99% of apartment listings are for rooms for rent...with roommates.

Old 10-06-2022, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elorocks189 View Post
My parents used to have a cabin in Munds park (on Iron springs rd) It was heaven on earth. They ended up selling it a few years ago. I so wished they didn't since i would move there in a heartbeat. I really want to live in Flagstaff, but the rent is ridiculously high (studio for $1700 per month!) And 99% of apartment listings are for rooms for rent...with roommates.
"Poverty with a view"

RM

Old 10-26-2022, 09:14 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
I so want to rip on Californians moving here, but alas, I was one, but it was two decades ago.

I'll just say this. Seeing California plate after plate after plate is disheartening. It isn't the politics, it's just when you live in California, you have absorbed certain elements of a world view (even if you don't think you have, you have). It involves what you consider "civilization", how you think some things aught to be done and how people should act. This transcends politics and is a part of you. You bring it with you and it takes a long while for it to dissipate, and the local populations of the places you move to, already resentful for you running them out of the local housing market, pick up on this California vibe and how it permeates out of California expats. If enough of you gather together you begin to change the local flora and fauna to resemble California. Like in Prescott there are like over 20 Starbucks now if you count the ones in the stores. That is you folks changing things, without even realizing it, to be more like "back home".

I don't know what you should do with this information, just maybe it is important that you understand it so you can adjust better.
Californians bring Starbucks? S'bux has nothing to do with California (except it absorbed the Bay Area coffee brand: Peet's, which is a superior product, truth be told). Starbucks is from Seattle. Are you sure it's not Seattle area transplants to Flag that you're seeing, masquerading as Californians?

Old 10-27-2022, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Californians bring Starbucks? S'bux has nothing to do with California (except it absorbed the Bay Area coffee brand: Peet's, which is a superior product, truth be told). Starbucks is from Seattle. Are you sure it's not Seattle area transplants to Flag that you're seeing, masquerading as Californians?
It's all about demographics, not the source of the population influx. This is a good reason why there's a Costco in Prescott and not in Flagstaff. There aren't enough old rich white people on Flagstaff to support one.

Also, many of the CA license plates you see in Flagstaff belong to out of state NAU students, too, they're not necessarily people who have moved here.

Having lived in SFO I would concur about Peet's vs. Starbucks.

RM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona