Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2006, 02:31 PM

26 posts, read 203,963 times

Advertisements

I know most things in life are just "a matter of opinion."
But - please take a look at this schools web site - it really looks like an outstanding school.
http://www.douglashigh.com/

Old 08-18-2006, 02:45 PM

57 posts, read 337,221 times
Default we just moved from south florida to rock hill sc

Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
He's definitely renting first. Learned that lesson from me. He's moving from SC--Charlotte area. It will be quite a change.
michtofla--what part of Michigan are you from?
Hi Grammy164

We just moved from South Florida to Rock Hill South Carolina - We love it HERE and dont want to go back to South Florida (I was born in South Carolina but raised in Florida). We were blessed to be able to sell our home - we lived in pembroke pines - and we contributed 6% to the buyers closing cost.

The reason for us moving from Florida to SC was due to the HIGH COST OF LIVING... (High electric bills, auto and homeowners insurance - if you can even get it, high property taxes, etc) someone else posted that you needed to make at least $70,000 a year to live there...that is so true - my husband and I were making over $80,000 a year, had very littel debt and still struggled, not to mention that Florida is one of the lowest wage paying states, depending on your career.

My daughters friend's grandparents currently have their home in coral springs listed for $450,000 - they are moving to Gerogia.

All I can say is ..... your brother needs to really research everything. I've read post here where others have transferred with their companys only to find out that they hate it and wished they had of just found a different job.

Good luck to your brother.... for us ... we dont want to go back and couldnt afford too even if wanted too.

Old 08-18-2006, 03:47 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Thanks for your replies everyone. My brother loves Rock Hill, but Coral Springs is where the job is. He is coming down first to look around. I'm sure if he hates the job or the area he'll just return to Rock Hill or look elsewhere.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:02 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,214,223 times
rock hill over coral springs??? never... i am a fla native who lived in nc and fla is so much better. better jobs, better weather, much more to do; i guess sc has a much lower cost of living, so he'll just have to weigh his options.

ppl on this board can complain about fla's education system, and i see it all the time, but sc's is worse. the second worst in the nation. had to say it and get that out there. i have lived in fla and nc, and the grass is not always greener. believe me. i meet ppl down here from nc sometimes. it's a 2-way street. thanks.

Old 08-18-2006, 04:29 PM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
He loves it whenever he visits us in Florida, but I'm sure he'd stay put if he had a choice. He doesn't right now. Coral Springs is where the job is. I'd feel better if he was moving closer to us (Central Florida.) My Dad left Lake Worth several years ago for here because it got just too too crowded for him. Like I said--I'm very nervous because I know it's so expensive the further south you go. That's why I was asking for suggestions up the coast some. He can commute. Heck, we used to commute to Ft. Pierce from here because that's where the work was. Even now my husband commutes to Orlando. Thanks for your positive words, backtofla. Didn't really ease the nerves, but thanks!

Old 08-18-2006, 05:40 PM

26 posts, read 203,963 times
Smile Renting in Coral Springs

Granny:
I don't know if something like this is too expensive - but where I am going, in Coral Springs - you can rent a two bedroom/two bath with one car garage, washer & dryer, all new appliances including microwave, swimming pools, gated community for about $1600 a month. Its really beautiful.
There are other developements that seem very nice for less money.
Maybe coming from New Jersey my idea of a fair price for lots of luxury is messed up - but this is not so much money for a rental that gives you so much.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,641 times
Smile Parents with 2 girls

As one of the parents of two girls in south florida, I can say your fears are valid. Although it would depend on his income and the lifestyle they are accustomed to.. I would say they need a combined income of at least $80-100k to live moderately and I mean having one car payment, a mortgage of less than 180, and provide decent moderate clothing for the girls and extra curricular activities not including day care or after care. My husband and I make approx. 60k combined doesn't sound bad, we have approx. 100k mortg., one car pmt. ins. elec. groceries to girls not in day care or aftercare, one credit card with less than 2k in charges, we have no drug or drinking habits etc... we shop for clothing at goodwill, ross, tjmaxx and walmart and each month we struggle extensively and are currently fighting foreclosure.. We have not been able to take a vacation even to visit family in 4 years. I don't mean to discourage but I would like to see them be very careful with two young girls. Financial stresses can do a lot of damage to a family.

Hope it goes well.

Old 08-18-2006, 07:38 PM

13 posts, read 37,688 times
Well I'm satisfied with my realtor. He's a straight shooter, retired Vietnam Vet who used to fly helicopters to evac the wounded. Retired Air Rescue/Fire Dept. With a resume like that, who else could you trust?

Semper Fi.

Old 08-18-2006, 10:28 PM

1,928 posts, read 3,645,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Move View Post
I know most things in life are just "a matter of opinion."
But - please take a look at this schools web site - it really looks like an outstanding school.
http://www.douglashigh.com/
My daughter is a teacher at Douglas. It is an excellent school, A rated and always does well in the F-cats. She has been there 8 years. She doesn't live in Coral Springs, but is familiar with the area. If you have any questions, let me know and I will get the information from her.

Old 08-19-2006, 02:03 AM

45 posts, read 174,153 times
Default It all depends

It all depends on where he's moving FROM. Let me guess - JERSEY? Yes, I am psychic.

So he has nothing to worry about. Cape Coral IS Jersey. He'll be right at home with the rest of his friends and neighbors who have moved right on in like sheeple and made a brand spankin' new culture for my once fabulous home state.

It WAS easy-going, friendly and inexpensive. Now it's angry, rude and outrageously expensive with high taxes. HMMMMM! SOUNDS LIKE JERSEY!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida