Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 08:52 PM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkumar3 View Post
You can not compare Boca Raton to Chipley... It is like comparing Apples to Oranges... Boca Raton is GREAT! I live in Delray but go to most of Palm Beach/Broward regularly (I am a realotor, so part of the job) and if one is free to live ANYWHERE in South Florida, Southern Palm Beach (From Boca to Boyonton) will be first recommendation.
I was responding to the ridiculous statement "Crime, what crime".
Boca is a city with like 80,000 people and as problematic as any other comparable city, they lock their doors like everybody else.

Many pay a lot of money though to protect themselves in their gated communities and are not an accurate reflection of south Florida as the poster would like pretend. Let him come out of his hiding place and he may have a different opinion.

Old 08-20-2006, 09:32 PM

26 posts, read 45,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Although these are from 2004 they are the actual number of crimes committed from the FBI information.

Actual Reported and Crimes:
Opa Locka, FL------------- Boca Raton, FL

Murder: 10 ----------------------2
Forcible Rape: 14 --------------22
Robbery: 217---------------82
Aggravated Assault: 335-------149
Burglary: 465 ----------------600
Larceny Theft: 853--------------2152
Vehicle Theft: 279---------------256

As you see Boca is not without it's problems. When I ran Boca against many other Florida cities it is was far from the safest place to live. You just spend most of your time hiding in your house in your gated communitie and don't know what is going on around you. It is good to keep your head in the sand sometimes, it makes life easier but sometimes a good reality check is in order.

Here is the other end of the spectrum. Chipley a little northern Florida "Mayberry ish" type of town with a exceptional quality of life and a place where raising a family can be a pleasure.

Actual Reported Crimes:
Chipley, FL -------------------Boca Raton, FL
Murder: 0 ------------------2
Forcible Rape: 0 ------------------22
Robbery: 5 ------------------82
Aggravated Assault: 15 ---------149
Burglary: 24 -------------------600
Larceny Theft: 152 -------------------2152
Vehicle Theft: 11 -------------------256

By the way, you had a shooting in Boca just a few days ago, you need to begin reading the paper now and then.

>>FYI, the population of Opa-locka is around 15,000, the population of Chipley is in the neighborhood of 3500, and the population of Boca Raton, including the unincorporated areas west of the city, is approximately 200,000. ( Not even counting the seasonal population). You truly are, as the other poster said, comparing apples to oranges.

Oh, and I don't live in a "gated community."

Old 08-21-2006, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
>>FYI, the population of Opa-locka is around 15,000, the population of Chipley is in the neighborhood of 3500, and the population of Boca Raton, including the unincorporated areas west of the city, is approximately 200,000. ( Not even counting the seasonal population). You truly are, as the other poster said, comparing apples to oranges.

Oh, and I don't live in a "gated community."
Boca's property crime is two times the national average and violent crime 25% higher them the national average. Those are the facts, it's not the crime free utopia you would like to paint it as. You don't have to have some kind of blind loyalty just because you live there.

Old 08-21-2006, 06:34 AM

26 posts, read 45,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Boca's property crime is two times the national average and violent crime 25% higher them the national average. Those are the facts, it's not the crime free utopia you would like to paint it as. You don't have to have some kind of blind loyalty just because you live there.
You need to check your facts again:

Moderator cut: link removed

No place is completely crime free. However, Boca Raton is well below the national average on all counts. I don't know about the Coral Springs statistics, which the original poster had inquired about, but would assume it is about the same. I have no 'blind loyalty' to any locale. If the area was as bad as you would like us to believe, I would be out of here in a heartbeat.

Too bad you have such bitterness toward South Florida. It has a lot to offer.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-21-2006, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
You need to check your facts again:

Moderator cut: link removed

No place is completely crime free. However, Boca Raton is well below the national average on all counts. I don't know about the Coral Springs statistics, which the original poster had inquired about, but would assume it is about the same. I have no 'blind loyalty' to any locale. If the area was as bad as you would like us to believe, I would be out of here in a heartbeat.

Too bad you have such bitterness toward South Florida. It has a lot to offer.
You are right about the crime average, I used Sperlings research that has it at twice. The most up to date FBI has it as just around the national average. My bitterness comes from 55 years of living here and watching it go from what was a paradise what it is now.

That is just the way things go and nothing is forever. South Florida had a nice 50 + year run though, before it just turned into another over crowded urban sprawl of have's and have not's.

I suspect you haven't been here long enough or may not be old enough to know what I am talking about. As with all things it is just a matter of perspective I guess. Developers really wrecked the place and it is only getting worse as hard as that is to imagine. What a sin.

Last edited by Yac; 10-30-2007 at 11:48 AM..

Old 08-21-2006, 10:22 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
He's definitely renting first. Learned that lesson from me. He's moving from SC--Charlotte area. It will be quite a change.
michtofla--what part of Michigan are you from?
We live in Ada, Michigan just east of Grand Rapids

Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 PM

1 posts, read 1,897 times
mcguy...sounds like you have some very negative feelings about real estate agents! I have been a Realtor since 1976 and am now helping 2nd genrations of clients. The money has never been a priority, helping people with one of the biggest fincincial decissions of their life, and through a stressfull time, doing a great job, getting the home sold, or helping the buyer find the best home is what I do. Naturally I get paid for "doing my job", and it is one of the toughest jobs there is. If you do a good job you get paid, and you have a client for life! I'm proud of my 32 years of hard work, and sad to read something so bitter. There are good and bad people in all walks of life, hopefully you will meet a Realtor that changes your mind about my profession. Carterhomes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida