Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 08:17 AM

2 posts, read 5,554 times

Advertisements

coral springs is a lovely place i use to live there 10 years ago when it was not so developed however where ever you plan to live always take the time to investigate the area. try to stick to the new developments. remember no realtor is your friend thats there job.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:46 AM

2,313 posts, read 3,192,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angela m View Post
coral springs is a lovely place i use to live there 10 years ago when it was not so developed however where ever you plan to live always take the time to investigate the area. try to stick to the new developments. remember no realtor is your friend thats there job.
One of the funniest things about South Florida is how fast it changes. They build things and tear them down in just a few years. Honest a God I will drive on a road I haven't been on in a years or so and it will be different. I am constantly saying, "When did they build that".

By contrast My wife can go back to her old home town and nothing ever changes. 10 years in South Florida can be like 50 or 75 years somewhere else as far as changes goes. Not to say that is a bad thing, nothing is forever, but it is just so noticeable in South Florida.

Old 08-19-2006, 01:13 PM

518 posts, read 2,226,303 times
I know what you mean about the pace of change in South Florida. Many areas of Broward that were considered decent when I moved here 19 years ago became rundown and lost their appeal in the '90s -- and soon will be rebuilt as the hot new concept becomes "work-force housing" for teachers, police officers, etc. In Chicago, where I grew up, this type of cycle might take 50 years or more to complete.

Just look at Fort Lauderdale. The beach area has been made over two or three times in the past 20 years after the city decided it wanted to kick out the Spring Breakers. The 10-year-old shopping/entertainment center on the riverfront already is obsolete and unprofitable and destined for the wrecking ball.

Old 08-19-2006, 03:40 PM

10 posts, read 161,673 times
My one look of Coral Springs...it was YUK....It looks like the town was cemented over and built upon.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:28 AM

26 posts, read 45,954 times
There's nothing to be nervous about. I've lived in Boca Raton (near Coral Spgs) for 25 years, been to every other state, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and South America, and wouldn't live anywhere else. We've got 2 kids, they both go to public school, and are doing great. Crime? What crime? Heat? Well, that's what the air conditioning is for. (Besides, a buddy of mine lives in IL, and it was 104 a couple of weeks ago.) Hurricanes? In 25 years, I've only had to put the storm shutters up once. The biggest pain in the neck was the electricity going out, not the actual hurricane.

Most of the negative posts I've read here are from people that moved to Florida a short time ago, leaving their family and friends behind. Anyone that moved here without knowing anyone and thought their 'Florida vacation' would continue is foolish.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:56 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,334,356 times
Thanks David! I know what you mean. My daughter lives in IL and she's been hotter than we have for a good portion of the summer. My Dad lived in Lake Worth (right on the water) for over 20 years--never hit with a hurricane. Moved up here to central FL and bang--3 of them came right through our community.
My Dad did move because it was getting too crowded for him. Hopefully my brother will see it differently. I'll be sure to tell him to check out Boca Raton.
I wasn't even settled in my home before Jeanne came through and took off the back porch. We're still putting it back together. Finding good paying jobs was a stuggle for us. It hasn't been an easy 2 years since our move here, but I'm like you. Wouldn't live anywhere else. I love sun, I love water and I love all the wonderful places to explore in FL.

Old 08-20-2006, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
There's nothing to be nervous about. I've lived in Boca Raton (near Coral Spgs) for 25 years, been to every other state, Canada, Mexico, Europe, and South America, and wouldn't live anywhere else. We've got 2 kids, they both go to public school, and are doing great. Crime? What crime? Heat? Well, that's what the air conditioning is for. (Besides, a buddy of mine lives in IL, and it was 104 a couple of weeks ago.) Hurricanes? In 25 years, I've only had to put the storm shutters up once. The biggest pain in the neck was the electricity going out, not the actual hurricane.

Most of the negative posts I've read here are from people that moved to Florida a short time ago, leaving their family and friends behind. Anyone that moved here without knowing anyone and thought their 'Florida vacation' would continue is foolish.
Are you delusional? Everybody has their reasons of why they like of dislike Florida but you have to say in the realm of reality. What 25 year time frame did you live in Florida, the 1950's?

I am happy to know there is no crime in South Florida according to you, I think the people who put together the statistics, as well as all those many thousands of crime victims, would disagree.

Last edited by macguy; 08-20-2006 at 08:53 AM..

Old 08-20-2006, 06:14 PM

26 posts, read 45,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macguy View Post
Are you delusional? Everybody has their reasons of why they like of dislike Florida but you have to say in the realm of reality. What 25 year time frame did you live in Florida, the 1950's?

I am happy to know there is no crime in South Florida according to you, I think the people who put together the statistics, as well as all those many thousands of crime victims, would disagree.

>>Well, heck, I guess if I resided in Opa-locka, or maybe Riviera Beach, perhaps I would be complaining about crime. However, I reside in Boca Raton. There hasn't been a homocide here in the city in God knows how many years, and of all the people I know (probably in the neighborhood of 300 people in South Florida), I know of only one person that was a victim of crime. This person had their car stolen about 3 years ago.

Perhaps your statistics say otherwise, however where I live, there is not a huge crime wave going on. My uncle is a Palm Beach County Sheriff deputy, has been for 20 years, and says they mainly respond to domestic disputes. You know, where the husband decides to rough up his wife (or vice versa).

Old 08-20-2006, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVID_S View Post
>>Well, heck, I guess if I resided in Opa-locka, or maybe Riviera Beach, perhaps I would be complaining about crime. However, I reside in Boca Raton. There hasn't been a homocide here in the city in God knows how many years, and of all the people I know (probably in the neighborhood of 300 people in South Florida), I know of only one person that was a victim of crime. This person had their car stolen about 3 years ago.

Perhaps your statistics say otherwise, however where I live, there is not a huge crime wave going on. My uncle is a Palm Beach County Sheriff deputy, has been for 20 years, and says they mainly respond to domestic disputes. You know, where the husband decides to rough up his wife (or vice versa).
Although these are from 2004 they are the actual number of crimes committed from the FBI information.

Actual Reported and Crimes:
Opa Locka, FL------------- Boca Raton, FL

Murder: 10 ----------------------2
Forcible Rape: 14 --------------22
Robbery: 217---------------82
Aggravated Assault: 335-------149
Burglary: 465 ----------------600
Larceny Theft: 853--------------2152
Vehicle Theft: 279---------------256

As you see Boca is not without it's problems. When I ran Boca against many other Florida cities it is was far from the safest place to live. You just spend most of your time hiding in your house in your gated communitie and don't know what is going on around you. It is good to keep your head in the sand sometimes, it makes life easier but sometimes a good reality check is in order.

Here is the other end of the spectrum. Chipley a little northern Florida "Mayberry ish" type of town with a exceptional quality of life and a place where raising a family can be a pleasure.

Actual Reported Crimes:
Chipley, FL -------------------Boca Raton, FL
Murder: 0 ------------------2
Forcible Rape: 0 ------------------22
Robbery: 5 ------------------82
Aggravated Assault: 15 ---------149
Burglary: 24 -------------------600
Larceny Theft: 152 -------------------2152
Vehicle Theft: 11 -------------------256

By the way, you had a shooting in Boca just a few days ago, you need to begin reading the paper now and then.

Last edited by macguy; 08-20-2006 at 07:48 PM..

Old 08-20-2006, 08:32 PM

423 posts, read 1,643,258 times
You can not compare Boca Raton to Chipley... It is like comparing Apples to Oranges... Boca Raton is GREAT! I live in Delray but go to most of Palm Beach/Broward regularly (I am a realotor, so part of the job) and if one is free to live ANYWHERE in South Florida, Southern Palm Beach (From Boca to Boyonton) will be first recommendation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida