Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 11:11 AM

672 posts, read 904,941 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKing View Post
It is all about trade offs. People may miss leaves, etc but how about...

1. Ice storms taking out power?

2. Gray skies for 3 solid months?

3. Shoveling snow

4. Dry, cracked skin, sore noses, sore throats?

5. Huge potholes due to freeze, thaw?

6. Cleaning ice and snow off the car to go to work?

7. Kids bouncing off the walls stuck inside when it is brutally cold?

8. Black ice all over the pavements?

9. Doing laundry of winter clothes, twice the number of loads as in the summer?

10. Everyone looking pale and sickly?

11. Flu season which spreads very quickly as people are inside tons more?

Florida has its issues during the summer, but I'll take that trade off any day.
1. Back up generators. If you live near a commerical area, you very RARELY lose power. They tend to put the lines underground.

2. You can stay outside for hours and not need SUNSCREEN.

3. People with flat bed trucks with plows drive around looking for business. Over a foot of snow I used to pay them ($25) to plow. Foot and under I did it all by myself. If a 58 year old, 100 lb. woman can shovel a driveway with a foot or less of snow, a big strong MAN certainly CAN. Anyway, some years we had no snow all winter. It RAINED instead.

4. Heat stroke, sunburn, BUG BITES.

5. CONSTRUCTION taking YEARS to complete. It's SUMMER all year round. They don't have to stop for snow.

6. Garage. They are not just meant for storing tools.

7. Teach them to play basketball or hockey. Join a league. Florida summers? Too HOT to go outside. When the heat index is 105 degrees and the water temp is 90 degrees, they cannot go outside. Want them to get heat stroke?

8. Again, ROAD CONSTRUCTION for years.

9. More loads of laundry all the time for changing clothes several times a day.

10. Tanning is not good for your skin. It gives you cancer and AGES you. Ladies take note.

11. I worked in an elementary school classroom. Never got sick. WASH YOUR HANDS.

Yeah, I know to each his own, but if you don't like summer and beaches (me), there really isn't much appeal to Florida, now is there?

There actually are some of us who DO like winter (and fall), as hard as that may be for some to comprehend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 11:18 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
As a Florida native I have yet to experience snow in quantity, just that little bit we had in 1977. A friend in Buffalo NY ( the worst place, right) move to Florida for one year, and cound NOT WAIT to go back there! He's perfectly happy in his home, all his no roomamtes ! Pay is not high, but evidently it costs LESS for him to live there, and he actually likes cold weather. Snow? That's what the snowblower is for. The basement is a gym, and he is working more from home now, so less commuting in the snow. According to what i have heard, cold weather is not horrible, and he says they get plenty of sun in the winter.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:55 AM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
"A friend in Buffalo NY ( the worst place, right) move to Florida for one year, and cound NOT WAIT to go back there!"

to some floridians, that is music to their ears. hahaha

Old 08-25-2007, 12:14 PM

458 posts, read 598,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMom72 View Post
1. Back up generators. If you live near a commerical area, you very RARELY lose power. They tend to put the lines underground.

2. You can stay outside for hours and not need SUNSCREEN.

3. People with flat bed trucks with plows drive around looking for business. Over a foot of snow I used to pay them ($25) to plow. Foot and under I did it all by myself. If a 58 year old, 100 lb. woman can shovel a driveway with a foot or less of snow, a big strong MAN certainly CAN. Anyway, some years we had no snow all winter. It RAINED instead.

4. Heat stroke, sunburn, BUG BITES.

5. CONSTRUCTION taking YEARS to complete. It's SUMMER all year round. They don't have to stop for snow.

6. Garage. They are not just meant for storing tools.

7. Teach them to play basketball or hockey. Join a league. Florida summers? Too HOT to go outside. When the heat index is 105 degrees and the water temp is 90 degrees, they cannot go outside. Want them to get heat stroke?

8. Again, ROAD CONSTRUCTION for years.

9. More loads of laundry all the time for changing clothes several times a day.

10. Tanning is not good for your skin. It gives you cancer and AGES you. Ladies take note.

11. I worked in an elementary school classroom. Never got sick. WASH YOUR HANDS.

Yeah, I know to each his own, but if you don't like summer and beaches (me), there really isn't much appeal to Florida, now is there?

There actually are some of us who DO like winter (and fall), as hard as that may be for some to comprehend.
Your # 2 needs correction. The sun causes sunburn in the winter. And sun reflected off snow is very potent. The gray I am referring to is the dreary, no leaves, dead look that the north has in the winter.

Like you said, to each his own. I have lived both lifestyles. The PA and Mass hockey, skiing, fall winter stuff. And the South FL. summers.

We love FL and absolutely hate PA and MA. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:57 PM

Location: Chesterfield in Beautiful Massachusetts, New England
76 posts, read 173,987 times
Any season in FL. except from January 1 until March 1.....

Old 08-31-2007, 02:25 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,450,255 times
I hate Mid-May through Mid-November's weather its just down right miserable in South Florida, staying in the A/C all the time like northeners do during the winter months.

Old 09-01-2007, 08:47 AM

495 posts, read 2,328,398 times
I love the winters in north Florida, especially when we have a unusually cold one.

I have a wood stove and as soon as we get the cold weather I am firing it up in the morning. Let it go out by noon and the house is warm all day till midnite or so.

I love clear frosty mornings that warm up to the low 60s with low humidity and a severe clear bright blue sky. These days are heaven. I gotta go outside and work or play hard. Something I will rarely do in July or August.

I like watching the cold fronts come down. It is never boring weather when you can see it change from warm and sunny to rainy and stormy to clear and cold and then it warms up and then gets cold again.

I like spring also, especially those warm days in Feb and March when everything is greening up and the bugs have not returned yet.

Summer is a bummer, except during hurricane season. They are exciting to watch come your way but after they hit it is really bad if you are without electicity even if you didnt have any major damage to your home.

If you have major damage your life changes for the worse and you forever will fear these storms.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:22 PM

86 posts, read 221,987 times
i live in buffalo new york and i don't know if i totally agree with tallrick. if i had enough money and my kids were on there own, i would do half and half

Old 09-03-2007, 05:37 PM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,525 times
As a Florida native I spent time in Watertown NY when I was in the army. The snow was fun I remember thinking Upstate NY is great. But it was new for me. I can see why people from the northeast think Florida is so great.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:39 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemed View Post
As a Florida native I spent time in Watertown NY when I was in the army. The snow was fun I remember thinking Upstate NY is great. But it was new for me. I can see why people from the northeast think Florida is so great.
Ok, now, FT Drum is OUT there! Talk about snow.

This time of year in Florida is the pits. It has been hot & humid for weeks on end. May is very nice; especially at night. Not looking forward to Oct due to love bugs.

Looking forward to something below 90 for a few days. But by that time, we will have moved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida