Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2011, 06:31 PM

1,026 posts, read 81,218 times

Advertisements

I am shaking my head while I read this, because I was born in Tampa and moved as a teen when my father remarried. We moved to a small city in North Georgia and I have been dying to get back to my "roots" ever since. The feeling of frustration and loneliness you speak about is what I have been feeling for the past 25 years, clinging to the great memories with family and friends in Florida. I will make my move back down there soon - if you want I will take your house and you can have mine here in Georgia....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2011, 08:21 PM

2,360 posts, read 5,247,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snikt View Post
Native born and lived in FL for 27 years in the central FL area. Moving out was the best thing I ever did, I just went back to FL for Xmas and it reinforced my decision to leave.

I could go on and on about things better here, but I guess the weather/humidity and total lack of outdoor activities are the main reasons why I moved out
Congratulations on your move. There seems to be quite a few people leaving Florida for Colorado. Must be something in the air.

Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shines1971 View Post
I am shaking my head while I read this, because I was born in Tampa and moved as a teen when my father remarried. We moved to a small city in North Georgia and I have been dying to get back to my "roots" ever since. The feeling of frustration and loneliness you speak about is what I have been feeling for the past 25 years, clinging to the great memories with family and friends in Florida. I will make my move back down there soon - if you want I will take your house and you can have mine here in Georgia....
I'm in Western NC, which is "paradise" to many, but I'd move back to FL in a second too.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:17 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,622,010 times
Quote:
I'm in Athens GA right now on vacation and I know what you feel like. I couldn't live here long term. How depressing if you come from a state like Florida. Well, I would say Tampa is ALOT better than any small city in GA. I know you will enjoy it!

Old 12-28-2011, 03:40 AM

1,304 posts, read 3,035,416 times
Quote:
There is an old adage that comes to mind as I read many posts similar to yours, and it goes like: "You can't go home again". The Florida that you left 25 years ago is not the same place that you would return to today. Probably the only constant would be the climate that you left behind. The memories that you have of Tampa are just those, memories.... not anything more, nor anything less.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:28 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
It's the only right thing to do if u have a child and want any hope for their future
I cut the stereotypical I hate Florida rant from your post but felt I would address this.
Do you have children? Are they doing bad or did they do bad in school?
I know between my kids and their cousin, all raised in Florida, all schooled in Florida, so far there is one doctor, one on the Deans List at college and 2 others with good grades on their way up.
They may decide to leave Florida down the road but their entire upbringing will have been in Florida as well as schooling, except my youngest dependent upon where she decides to go to college, and I feel no dread about their future.
Yours is just another baseless rant but I guess if you expect a state to have that much effect on your child you better move them since it does not seem you have much control over your life. My question would be which state is going to raise your child better?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert_scene View Post
I doubt they would want to trade lives with me. They wouldn't last very long in my job serving crackheads in south St. Pete all day every day, year after year.
You're a drug dealer?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Native born and lived in FL for 27 years in the central FL area. Moving out was the best thing I ever did, I just went back to FL for Xmas and it reinforced my decision to leave.

I could go on and on about things better here, but I guess the weather/humidity and total lack of outdoor activities are the main reasons why I moved out
Seriously? I can understand that you don't like the weather but total lack of outdoor activities is a ridiculous statement.

Next time just say you don't like the weather so it keeps YOU from any outdoor activities.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:51 AM

2,394 posts, read 5,000,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
Seriously? I can understand that you don't like the weather but total lack of outdoor activities is a ridiculous statement.

Next time just say you don't like the weather so it keeps YOU from any outdoor activities.
It's more about the landscape than the weather

Mountaineering, skiing, snowshoeing, rafting

Like hiking for example, you can "hike" in FL, but the landscape is flat and boring so it's not really interesting or even a workout since it's just like walking.

Biking is also very lacking, yes you can bike there but I made a point to look at this when I went back for Xmas. The number of paved bike trails and bike lanes on normal roads is very lacking at least in central FL. I can ride about 100 yards from my apartment and connect to a dedicated paved bike trail with 2 lanes and ride about 100+ miles without touching a road at all

Old 12-28-2011, 07:11 AM

31 posts, read 49,661 times
Quote:
It's more about the landscape than the weather

Mountaineering, skiing, snowshoeing, rafting

Like hiking for example, you can "hike" in FL, but the landscape is flat and boring so it's not really interesting or even a workout since it's just like walking.

Biking is also very lacking, yes you can bike there but I made a point to look at this when I went back for Xmas. The number of paved bike trails and bike lanes on normal roads is very lacking at least in central FL. I can ride about 100 yards from my apartment and connect to a dedicated paved bike trail with 2 lanes and ride about 100+ miles without touching a road at all
Those are some great examples of popular outdoor activities in colder regions. However, not everyone has the same preference.

FL is one of the best places to be in the country if you're into saltwater fishing, boating, golfing, the beach etc. There are also options for cycling and hiking, they might not be as plentiful though. Head to the coast on weekends and you will see many Floridians enjoying a variety of outdoor activities
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida