Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 07:19 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCT View Post
I have thought about it but my wife would really like to stay away from south Florida. She is scared to death of hurricanes and when we went to palm coast the first time 2 years ago, there was a home builder that is a family friend. He has been in PC for over 30 years and he said he experienced 1 hurricane in all his time there. He said they have gotten a few tropical storms, but because PC is more up north in Florida, they don't get hit very hard hurricane wise.
Another good reason to live in that part of Florida. Because of the Gulfstream current offshore, hurricanes and tropical storms are pulled out east of Florida at that point and as a result will landfall further to the north in the Carolinas typically. The only danger is crossover storms that make landfall on the opposite coast and cross the state, though they are usually pretty well weakened by the time they reach the opposite side. Not to say damage won't occur but it's nothing like being in the crosshairs of a storm making landfall right where you live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 AM

17 posts, read 60,005 times
We bought in Palm Coast a year ago. Love it, love it, love it!!!! Great community, everything is new! Beaches many to choose from and close by. So much going for this fairly new up and coming community. The prices are fantastic now but on a slight rise in recent months I would not wait too long to pull the trigger on the move to this Paradise.

Old 04-22-2012, 07:22 AM

31 posts, read 51,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridabound93 View Post
We bought in Palm Coast a year ago. Love it, love it, love it!!!! Great community, everything is new! Beaches many to choose from and close by. So much going for this fairly new up and coming community. The prices are fantastic now but on a slight rise in recent months I would not wait too long to pull the trigger on the move to this Paradise.
Yeah, I have noticed prices rising. I once saw a lot for sale on a cul-de-sac. .38acres for $4,000.00!!! I should have bought it when I saw it.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:33 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,235 times
ORLANDO, do not make the mistake of going to Palm Coast.

Old 04-23-2012, 05:42 PM

31 posts, read 51,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAm_FloridaBorn View Post
ORLANDO, do not make the mistake of going to Palm Coast.
Why do u say that?

Old 04-23-2012, 05:56 PM

2,363 posts, read 5,207,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJCT View Post
Why do u say that?

Well your careers. Orlando has Florida Hospital and Orlando Health CONSTANTLY expanding. Her opportunities would be enormous in the healthcare industry here. Plus with Law Enforcement you have so many communities on a smaller scale to patrol for, not just Orlando.

Mostly career reasons! You dont have to live in orlando there. There are small towns nearby for that small town feel.

Old 04-23-2012, 11:14 PM

189 posts, read 436,449 times
The Dr Phillips area has a large Portuguese population. It's near Metro West and the Northern end of international drive where there are many Brazilian and Portuguese restaurants, markets, shops, bakeries, small churches, etc. It all depends how how much you want to be near the coast.

Old 04-24-2012, 06:10 AM

732 posts, read 969,772 times
There really is no comparison, to pick between PC and Orlando is picking between apples and oranges - just very different things. Palm Coast is rural, far from airports, not the best health care like many rural areas they struggle with that, has no universities, and is perhaps not that known for beaches either. Orlando has many things but also adds some traffic. Orlando has great latin food places of most kinds, also has good asian food, and has more jobs if you need part or full time work. Orlando will be more expensive of course but that depends on what you want.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:56 AM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TestEngr View Post
There really is no comparison, to pick between PC and Orlando is picking between apples and oranges - just very different things. Palm Coast is rural, far from airports, not the best health care like many rural areas they struggle with that, has no universities, and is perhaps not that known for beaches either. Orlando has many things but also adds some traffic. Orlando has great latin food places of most kinds, also has good asian food, and has more jobs if you need part or full time work. Orlando will be more expensive of course but that depends on what you want.
Palm Coast is not rural...it's suburban, two completely different definitions. It's 30 miles from Daytona Beach's airport which is about how far half the residents of the Orlando area have to drive to get to Orlando's airport. Florida Hospital opened a new location in Palm Coast so the lack of medical care argument is moot. Orlando is a heavily developed suburb and not that much different from Palm Coast other than being much more congested (yes, with more to do though), having higher crime and being in the center of the state versus on the coast. Believe it or not, not everyone finds Orlando to be some kind of paradise.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 AM

732 posts, read 969,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Palm Coast is not rural...it's suburban, two completely different definitions. It's 30 miles from Daytona Beach's airport which is about how far half the residents of the Orlando area have to drive to get to Orlando's airport. Florida Hospital opened a new location in Palm Coast so the lack of medical care argument is moot. Orlando is a heavily developed suburb and not that much different from Palm Coast other than being much more congested (yes, with more to do though), having higher crime and being in the center of the state versus on the coast. Believe it or not, not everyone finds Orlando to be some kind of paradise.
I do not find Orlando to be paradise, but your statements about health care are just not correct. We are intimately familiar with the situation there and I can tell you FL Hosp, which covers half of Orlando as well, engages in highly unethical practices to gain advantage over both doctors and the patient population. Sorry, but we know what we know. Stay away for your own good, I kid not, and wish I was kidding on this. There are some things they want you to not know about.

PC *is* rural essentially. Oh true if you meant rural like Wyoming rural, but for FL it is basic rural FL. It is ok, I like that type of place too sometimes, we tried moving there so I like the housing.

One advantage to PC is you can fly out of Jacksonville or Orlando. I have flown out of Daytona about ten times, no need to tell me about Daytona. However, for all practical purposes 90% of where one may need to fly or get a good fare, flying from Daytona makes zero sense. Daytona is a small commuter airport to take you to Atlanta Or Charlotte to catch another flight to same airport you catch a direct flight from JAX or MCO. Orlando and Jacksonville will get you direct flights to lots of places plus the hubs that get you anywhere in the world quickly. If you are flying far, or often, or looking for good fares, or MOST reasons one flies Daytona as a not nearby airport makes no sense at all. I have hundreds of thousands of frequent flyer miles, I know. One advantage to Daytona airport is parking, I will give it that, though it may no longer be as cheap as it once was.

Last edited by TestEngr; 04-24-2012 at 08:23 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida