Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 06:05 AM

1,108 posts, read 4,217,161 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Repatriated View Post
Or apply to a bunch of cruise ship companies. You'll be living in a closet of a cabin that's probably smaller than your car...with a roommate, but everything will be paid, and you'll just be saving money without any expenses.
I actually thought of that...but most cruise ship lines require you to speak 2 languages now a days....and unless you are in management...they do charge you rent......additionally, it is not uncommon for a cruise ship employee to be working 12 - 14 hours a day......not what I think our OP would consider...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2013, 06:45 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,889,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horiz View Post
What if you parked the minivan in the visitor's parking space in apartment complexes? Would that be pretty safe?
There's another thread here (or many) about this, I think on the Self Sufficiency forum. But I don't have it handy. It was interesting.

There's even a subculture of it one term is Vandwelling:

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Plenty of people get a larger vehicle than a car and do so on purpose even an SUV. The pros and cons of each parking area are discussed.

Also how to equip it. Some people posted links to blogs detailing how they do it. Photos, locations etc.

Overall, they suggest parking at campgrounds, 24 hr Walmarts or truck stops. Or joining a 24 hr gym for 30.00 per month. I think they said Walmart will even let you (ignore you).

Some truck stops welcome RV camper people and there are showers etc.

It is TOO HOT in the south to SLEEP in that vehicle safely in summer. You cannot sleep with the windows down. I found that out driving from the Northeast to FL several times and thinking I'd pull over for a cat nap at the rest stops. Think about if you're in a deep sleep with windows down.

Even with my large teen in the SUV, some gypsies tried to open the passenger door in broad daylight while I was in the rest stop rest room and saw it when I was coming out. He scared the crap out of them. When they saw me approach my SUV they tried to distract me with a map and ask me where PA was. LOL

Last edited by Yac; 11-08-2013 at 05:41 AM..

Old 10-20-2013, 07:32 AM

3,417 posts, read 7,786,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
OP and this thread is the epitome of South Florida, but I guess id rather be a bum in hot weather than cold...
I agree. This thread rivals the one asking for help finding a homeless shelter to move to.

Old 10-20-2013, 07:53 AM

2,707 posts, read 2,836,930 times
Before my ex-wife and I got married, circumstances forced me to live out of my van in the parking lot of her fathers apartment complex for about 6 months, and it was anything but pleasant. It was in Houston, and it was hot at night. I was wary of leaving even a window cracked, and possibly getting broken into while I slept. I suppose if I had been younger I might would have been able to weather some of the hardships better, but being close to 30, it presented quiet a few obstacles for me. I did have the luxury of going up to her father's apartment to use his bathroom for my toiletries, but someone in an area where they knew no one might have that difficulty to overcome. I would recommend anyone enamored with visions of living out of a vehicle to try it before they burn their bridges. If you have permanent residence now, move into your car/van and try it for as long as you can endure, and I'm betting those wistful visions of automobile residency will fade quick in the light of day. I know they did for me.

Old 10-20-2013, 09:27 AM

7,723 posts, read 12,616,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 124c41 View Post
Before my ex-wife and I got married, circumstances forced me to live out of my van in the parking lot of her fathers apartment complex for about 6 months, and it was anything but pleasant. It was in Houston, and it was hot at night. I was wary of leaving even a window cracked, and possibly getting broken into while I slept. I suppose if I had been younger I might would have been able to weather some of the hardships better, but being close to 30, it presented quiet a few obstacles for me. I did have the luxury of going up to her father's apartment to use his bathroom for my toiletries, but someone in an area where they knew no one might have that difficulty to overcome. I would recommend anyone enamored with visions of living out of a vehicle to try it before they burn their bridges. If you have permanent residence now, move into your car/van and try it for as long as you can endure, and I'm betting those wistful visions of automobile residency will fade quick in the light of day. I know they did for me.
Seriously?? So your dad had an apartment and he didn't open his place to you??! I am at a loss. I've never understood how anybody can let one of their family members or close friends be out on the street! If I had an apartment, no matter how small it is, NOBODY in my family is going to be sleeping out of their damn cars or on the streets! If we have to move things around, have somebody sleep on the floor, then so damn be it. I don't understand this selfish attitude that Americans have! It really pisses me off because that isn't the first time I've heard stories like that!

Old 10-20-2013, 11:21 AM

2,407 posts, read 3,187,663 times
It wasn't his dad it was his ex-wife's father.

Old 10-21-2013, 10:27 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,446,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty78 View Post
it is not uncommon for a cruise ship employee to be working 12 - 14 hours a day......not what I think our OP would consider...

What's wrong with long hours and hard work?

Old 10-21-2013, 07:08 PM

814 posts, read 2,042,917 times
yes

Old 10-21-2013, 07:35 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,576,277 times
Default Let's Have A Live And Let Live Attitude Shall We

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida Vince View Post
This will be how you end up:

[hulu=http://www.flickr.com/photos/4183]jT5PtOqWjmH9J-RxMLvkXw[/hulu]I Live In A Van Down By The River - Matt Foley[/url]

Let's Have A Live And Let Live Attitude Shall We

Tour of the Van I live in - Vandwelling at its best - YouTube

I take it that the original Poster is a caucasian who couild get a JOB
if he really wanted one , but thinking of the segment of society that
really need this expertise would be my( African-American Brother and
Sister that some how became Unemployable ) - Tattoo's - Gaps In Theirs
Employment History....and the old saying that is always right Blacks are
the Last Hired And The First Fired...I'm Just Saying.

http://voices.yahoo.com/installing-s...n-6485542.html

Last edited by Howest2008; 10-21-2013 at 08:16 PM..

Old 10-22-2013, 11:11 AM

3,650 posts, read 9,500,550 times
Interesting someone should suggest a cruise ship job where the OP would have meals, lodging and a paycheck. Did you know the cruise ships hire the lowest of the low - ex cons, child molesters, etc. to work on their ships? And if something happens to you on an foreign ship most of the time the US can do nothing to help you. Did you also know that most ships do not even have a real dr. on board? If something serious happens to you they will delay getting help so everyone else can enjoy their cruise.

Here is an interesting link International Cruise Victims - Join Our Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
View detailed profiles of: