Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 10:24 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,436,382 times

Advertisements

I lived in Tampa for 23 years. The heat and humidity was absolutely unbearable to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,663,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
I honestly think you're blind - or your thermostat is broken (or maybe you just had a big thunderstorm).

I live 2 miles from the Atlantic Ocean - and - at 2 pm - our house is never 75 (or anywhere near it) without the A/C (or a big cooling storm) this time of year.
When I lived in a condo on the bay in Clearwater I opened up the sliding glass door on the terrace and the front window to get a real nice breeze through and it kept it nice without putting on the AC.
It was a few years back so we did not have a digital thermostat to tell us the temp but I don't think it ever got over 80 or if it did it certainly didn't feel like it.
Right on the water and 2 miles away can make a big difference, especially if you are in a upstairs unit.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:40 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,663,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
I would like to know how the people who say they do things outside do them without sweating profusely, changing clothes approximately every hour and taking 3 or 4 showers a day. Florida is certainly not the place for running without significant unpleasantness, even if you get up at 3am it's way too humid. I am not being hateful or " a bitter betty" either.... just HONEST. If posting the reality of the weather here may help someone from making the mistake of moving here than that's is good.... as for the people who love to sweat a gallon in their underwear just getting the mail then you would just love it here.
Sweating is good for you, it helps regulate body temp and slightly helps release some toxins from the body. If you drink 16 oz of water 2 hrs before exercise this can help to get your hydration level up and then drink while you are on the go, don't wait till you feel thirsty because your hydration level has already dropped by then.
Florida is not for everyone but those that don't like the weather can take steps to make it more bearable for themselves when they do need to go out.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:21 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I lived in Tampa for 23 years. The heat and humidity was absolutely unbearable to me.
Like I said, "Most people don't find it unbearable". Not all people. Most people don't find L.A.'s dryness unbearable, but its downright painful to me!

Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM

3,848 posts, read 7,970,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHborn View Post
If you want a chilly winter you could always try New Hampshire.
I know you know I've been there done that. I said chilly not bitter!!!!! I would only move back to New England for the right price (aka salary wise) and NH isn't doing better than any other place, worst off in most. Portsmouth would be my only exception. Maybe Hampton Beach... I would live in Portsmouth forever....

Old 07-21-2013, 11:58 AM

3,124 posts, read 4,941,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbottoms View Post
I know you know I've been there done that. I said chilly not bitter!!!!! I would only move back to New England for the right price (aka salary wise) and NH isn't doing better than any other place, worst off in most. Portsmouth would be my only exception. Maybe Hampton Beach... I would live in Portsmouth forever....
I grew up not far from Portsmouth and worked there when I moved closer as a young adult. Funny, the winter never bothered me until I took my first trip to Florida and the Caribbean.

Old 07-21-2013, 12:25 PM

5,066 posts, read 2,864,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
Yeah, it's pretty soupy in summer, but less so than the Deep South. If one lives within a few miles of the coast, it's not that bad, that often. I'm in my apartment on the Gulf Coast near Tampa Bay. My AC is not on in my 2nd story apt and it's only 75 in here.

Just in case you thought we were like a greenhouse all summer here.

That's a big if! Who lives that close to the ocean?! I have to guess at least half the population of FLA is landlocked and no where near the ocean breeze. Orlando is unbearable in the summer. The Ocala/G'ville area is the same. You don't live there without A/C. Even St. Aug (on the ocean) is crazy hot in the summer. It only gets bearable when (if) an afternoon T-storm passes through. The heat and humidity is pretty there in the summer but the winters make up for that.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,514,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runrgirl View Post
The heat and humidity ARE THAT BAD. Lived here 3 years and am moving away next week. I loved the weather at first, moved here in the month of May but come July I realized I was pretty much trapped inside in the AC until November. After last summer we decided it's too much. In the middle of summer you cannot do anything active outdoors without sweating profusely and being very uncomfortable. Unless you want to be miserable you are relegated to staying indoors in the AC unless you are at the beach or out on a boat. The heat/humidity is unrelenting and unbearable from approximately June to October give or take a month depending on the weather that year. I know it gets just as hot and humid in other areas east of the rockies in the summer too.... but the difference with the situation in Florida is that is is UNRELENTING (even in the middle of the night) the entire 6 months or so.
I would like to know how the people who say they do things outside do them without sweating profusely, changing clothes approximately every hour and taking 3 or 4 showers a day. Florida is certainly not the place for running without significant unpleasantness, even if you get up at 3am it's way too humid. I am not being hateful or " a bitter betty" either.... just HONEST. If posting the reality of the weather here may help someone from making the mistake of moving here than that's is good.... as for the people who love to sweat a gallon in their underwear just getting the mail then you would just love it here.
My husband was a runner here in Florida for about 25 years (until he had to "retire" due to illness). Three miles a day (unless he was training for a marathon). He sweated like a pig - even his shoes would get squishy. Guess he was just used to it (and - because of his running - he could drink all the beer he wanted to drink after ). I was a tennis player (before I "retired" due to injury and became a golfer). I didn't sweat as much as my husband - but I was sure far from "glistening" after playing .

Perhaps you're a long distance runner? Doing long distances is hard/impossible when it's 80+ (many a runner in the defunct Orange Bowl Marathon will second that). OTOH - doing 3 miles isn't so bad.

I think part of the key is the right clothing. Especially today - when there are so many newer "wicking"/"quick dry" fabrics around. Also having lots of it (it's pretty important to wash athletic clothing after each use if you don't want it to stink - and you have to give athletic shoes time to dry out).

FWIW - at my age now - I can still play 9 holes of golf in the afternoon - but barely last an hour working in the garden in mid-afternoon. Which is why I get the more physical gardening work out of the way by end of May - and don't start again until the end of September. In the summer - I do a lot of things that I might do in January if I lived up north (like shopping - paperwork - cleaning closets - traveling - cooking). Mostly indoor stuff.

Note that I moved here from Philadelphia about 40 years there. There - we were cooped up inside for 6+ months a year. And all too often we wound up with a rainy day or a heat wave during one of our weekend days off from work. We weren't even immune from hurricanes (we went through Agnes). IMO - no place is perfect. Were we to live up north now - golf season would only be 4-5 months long - instead of 12 months long (it may be unpleasant to play in Florida in July - but it's impossible to play in Philadelphia in January). If you find the perfect climate for year-round living - let me know . Robyn

P.S. I lived in Miami for 20+ years before moving to north Florida. I liked the winters in Miami better - but our summers here are somewhat shorter.

Old 07-21-2013, 01:50 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,514,813 times
BTW - one reason people may experience different interior temperatures using varying amounts of A/C is where they live. If you live in a multi-story building (and not the top floor) and your upstairs and downstairs neighbors have their places chilled down - your A/C may not have to work as hard as it would in a single family house (where the roof is absorbing a lot of heat). In a multi-story building - whether or not there are interior hallways - and whether or not they're air-conditioned - can make a difference too.

Also - different people have different tolerances for heat (both inside and outside) - cold too. I am uncomfortable when the interior temp is over 76 (or under 71-72 for that matter). But some people - especially older people - like things really warm (like 78-80+). Robyn

Old 07-21-2013, 02:08 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,970,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lior Arel View Post
I grew up not far from Portsmouth and worked there when I moved closer as a young adult. Funny, the winter never bothered me until I took my first trip to Florida and the Caribbean.
I'm jealous Dover would be our second bet. I had never seen winter till I lived to NH.. And we choose Keene.. 150-170 inches our first winter... The second time I would at least know what I was getting into... Summers up north are just as intense as here but they don't have a/c as available. That's the difference really..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida