Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 01:37 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
If that is what someone aspires to do, yes, otherwise there is banking, insurance, public service, HVAC technicains, power company, telephone company, cable companies, IT, plumbers, electricians, designers, legal, manufacturing, agriculture, science, the entire medical field, truck drivers, warehouse, human resources, finance, marketing, accounting, administrative, sales, distribution, auto mechanics ... do I need to list more?
And for every position that Florida offers in those fields there are 10 people applying for them. Lol. One person gets the job and the rest are busing tables.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 01:48 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
And for every position that Florida offers in those fields there are 10 people applying for them. Lol. One person gets the job and the rest are busing tables.
Then those folks should relocate to a place where there is work for them. You know of any place that has a large amount of jobs available to anyone who comes along? I sure dont.

There may be 10 or 100 people applying for a particular job. The idea is to be the one the 10 or 100 that gets the job. Have you ever interviewed for a job where you were the only applicant? I surely havent.
Its called competition.

Old 11-01-2013, 03:13 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,316,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
Move to north Dakota. Wal-Mart workers start at $17/hour

Old 11-01-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Move to north Dakota. Wal-Mart workers start at $17/hour
North Dakota? HELL NO! You could offer me a six figure income and I still wouldn't move to that place. lol.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:27 PM

2,093 posts, read 5,593,734 times
Quote:
Yeah, and your point is?
Point is, more data for the naysayer extraordinaire's...

Old 11-01-2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
It is picking up though. Remember, even those the shuttle program is dead, there is still govt funding to be had for private contractors to lauch capsules (and eventually people) back into space. Think SpaceX, Boeing etc. And will NASA being in the space coast for so long, a lot of private companies have sprouted up in the area the last few decades. There are still hiring like I've posted above. The public ally-traded ones include Nothrup Grumman, Harris Corp, Boeing, GE, Rockwell Collins, Lockheed Martin etc.
Thing is though, they may be hiring but only a small % are high paying Engineering jobs and also many are tied to the Government, which did not go too well a few weeks ago and keep in mind they only delayed another shutdown...which will arise again in a few months.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Sometimes, these editorials only look at an isolated piece of the overall situation and don't really paint an accurate picture.

Florida has done quite well in Tech. Company hiring and economic expansion along the 'I-4 corridor' between Orlando and Melbourne (Nothrup Grumman, Harris Corp, Boeing, GE, Rockwell Collins, Lockheed Martin etc.). However, Brevard county took a significant hit with the shuttle program, that has offset much of the gains elsewhere.

Beyond that, there is not a large technology-driven economy elsewhere in Florida, which tends to hold down high-paying, statewide employment figures (tourism, service sector, construction). Palm Beach County (article) has never been much of an 'employment mecca.' On a positive note, the cost of living in Florida/Brevard/Orange is significantly lower than in the Ca. 'Silicone Valley and SF areas.' Generally speaking, the folks who work here, can also afford to live here!
Read into the data source, it's not just an "editorial"...if Florida has done so well, then why is there no metrics to represent it?

They are not focused on "Palm Beach County" but the entire state as a whole.

Plenty of people can afford to leave here and work in Silicon Valley, I have a friend who worked for Motorola, he moved to the SF Bay Area because Motorola downsized and he had no options in High Tech in the state, a well known company gave him a great offer and he bought a house in the San Jose area, a nice house too without a hitch and the amount of opportunity there, according to him, is exponential compared to here and there are plenty of start-ups and venture capital available that is lacking here.

Old 11-01-2013, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Then those folks should relocate to a place where there is work for them. You know of any place that has a large amount of jobs available to anyone who comes along? I sure dont.

There may be 10 or 100 people applying for a particular job. The idea is to be the one the 10 or 100 that gets the job. Have you ever interviewed for a job where you were the only applicant? I surely havent.
Its called competition.
And the whe point is that competition for those jobs in Florida is FAR greater than in other states. Florida doesn't care about its workers. The state government knows enough peons will flock here fleeing the cold to keep the tourism and hospitality that the state relies on alive.

Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 PM

440 posts, read 595,347 times
I don't think this is really the case for all of FL, i've been very active in the job searches in Tampa for an IT job to get me out of Ohio, and they are paying well over $50k or more a year, and there are tons of good quality tech jobs that i've seen. Its all in your experience and skillsets, but if your entry level then slim chances your going to get anything that pays the bills. At least thats what i've noticed from my experiences

Old 11-01-2013, 06:00 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,120,893 times
You consider that "data".

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Point is, more data for the naysayer extraordinaire's...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida