Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 06:10 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
Point is, more data for the naysayer extraordinaire's...
This is data....

Florida Economy at a Glance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2013, 06:32 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,319,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
North Dakota? HELL NO! You could offer me a six figure income and I still wouldn't move to that place. lol.
And there you go. That's the problem of complaining about FL jobs. Too many people want to live here so that's you have the situation you described before

Old 11-01-2013, 07:11 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
And there you go. That's the problem of complaining about FL jobs. Too many people want to live here so that's you have the situation you described before
I'm in Denver right now. Kind of close to North Dakota. I'd move here in a heartbeat if I had a job offered to me. I HATE Florida and can't wait to get out.

Old 11-01-2013, 08:34 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
The company I work for in St. Pete is a high tech company, is hiring like mad, growing at a rapid pace and is providing good paying jobs to qualified team players. HR's problem, "We're having a hard time finding qualified people and many of the applicants are recycled candidates from different sources."

Meaning - WE CANNOT FIND QUALIFIED PEOPLE!

Old 11-02-2013, 08:28 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,594,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You consider that "data".
If you cannot look into the source of the data in the link I posted...then I do not know what to tell you? It's there in B & W...

Old 11-02-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
So is this...

State Technology and Science Index | State Rankings

http://www.progressivepolicy.org/201...o-job-ranking/

http://www.progressivepolicy.org/wp-...ob-Ranking.pdf

Old 11-02-2013, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloridaKash View Post
The company I work for in St. Pete is a high tech company, is hiring like mad, growing at a rapid pace and is providing good paying jobs to qualified team players. HR's problem, "We're having a hard time finding qualified people and many of the applicants are recycled candidates from different sources."

Meaning - WE CANNOT FIND QUALIFIED PEOPLE!
Would that be Jabil?

Often the problem is they do not want to pay for qualified people here, that is employers low ball because they know there is limited competition to go down the street and know everyone and their brother want's to move to Florida for the Margaritaville Lifestyle and will be willing to work for less to do it...often someone can find a higher paying better quality job in a remote undesirable area than here because nobody wants to go to the undesirable place...that's Florida's saving grace.

Old 11-02-2013, 08:59 AM

407 posts, read 388,691 times
Florida is still a magnet for retirees. These people (who are often on a fixed income) do not want the high housing costs and traffic that places with booming tech industries such as Silicon Valley and Austin Texas tend to bring.

Old 11-02-2013, 10:37 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,123,127 times
Except for the first one, the links you refer to are the same as the original link you posted.

I dont see why anyone in their right mind would expect Florida to be another Silicon Valley, NY or
other places where high tech has settled in as the primary industry.

Out of 50 states only a few are shown as high tech meccas. On the other hand, none of those places offer the benefits of living that FL offers.

Not everyone is in the high tech fields. Not everyone wants to be in high tech fields. Not everyone needs to be in high tech fields, but if they are, then I would think that living in FL to ply their trade
would be ridiculous unless they want to work with the few companies that support it here which are in specific areas of the state.

It seems your postings concentrate on those in high tech fields only and disregard all other options. There is more in life than high tech. Also, living in areas where incomes are very high results in a higher cost of living. Higher taxes, higher housing costs, higher everything thus a reduced quality of life. If someone is trained in the high tech field there are much better choices for them to be successful elsewhere and FL should not even be on their radar screens.

Their success in a high tech mecca would also be dependent upon their experience in that field and the competition for the available positions is going to be high as all the high tech experts would be migrating to the same place to compete for the jobs that may be available. Since the industry chooses to employ only those with the best skills, I would think that there are going to be a lot of people working in other fields besides those that they expected by being in one of those high tech meccas.

I dont recall FL ever being touted as a place with an abundance of high tech jobs though bio-science seems to be taking a foothold here.

Basically, if you're banking on FL to become one of the high tech meccas, you're bound to go broke while waiting for it.

Old 11-02-2013, 12:16 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,255,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crane's Rooster View Post
It takes much more than just beautiful weather, low taxes and low cost of living. Most of these employees put a much higher value on quality of life than these other factors. Quality schools, recreation and cultural activities are very important. It's not just pure coincidence that most of these jobs are located in places with high taxes and cost of living such as silicon valley, Seattle, Boston, Chicago, Washington DC/Baltimore, Minneapolis. On the same token there are many in low tax, low cost of living areas such as Dallas/Ft. Worth, Raleigh-Durham, Austin. The common denominator here is the quality of life issues. Just about all these areas are consistently ranked in the "Best Places to Live" lists. They all have strong school systems, good mass transit, vibrant communities and diverse entertainment and cultural options. Once we get pasts simply trying to entice these jobs with beaches and no state taxes we will start making more headway.
Excellent point. Could you drop a note to Tallahassee please?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida