Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2013, 10:41 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veggienut View Post
I've seen sharks in Delray Beach when I go there. Just once tho. Someone said it isn't the type that would kill you. I forgot the name, but it was a dark colored one. I know the beaches have signs for temp and other info and most likely would have a sign not to swim if it isn't safe.

We don't generally close beaches because of sharks; but the guards may post a flag which indicates that someone has reported a sighting . Usually you just get out of water for a few minutes if one is seen or until you see the fin swim out of the area and then get back in.

If you have ever flown low over the ocean it is amazing how many you see and how close they are to shore. The thing is unless the bait fish are close to shore they usually don't come in. But we have been at the beach when hundreds of fish actually beached themselves-meaning a big fish of some kind was trying to get them.

Usually there are less than 100 shark bites a year worldwide. Florida has had some deaths because of shark bites on both Atlantic and Gulf sides. Most were either divers or surfers but some were just people playing in the water. Here is a list of deaths by shark in the US. most are in California or Hawaii. List of fatal, unprovoked shark attacks in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think in 2012 Brevard County led in reported shark bites. Usually goes back and forth with Volusia because of Sebastian and Ponce inlets . As a mom of sons that love to surf, I never say be careful , watch out for sharks, don't drown, or worry about them, I just say " Have fun" and never even think about the possibility of sharks. Check out the pics in my album on here . One was surfing in that surf contest that day with me sitting there watching-knowing the waves were full of bait fish and sharks.

To the people saying the things to watch for are silly. It is always wise to keep an eye out because you don't want to be one of the statistics. For example if you are in 2- 3 ft of water and there is a school of fish right next to you, it might be smart to look for fins. Or if you see a bunch of fins just off shore it might be wise to decide if they are dolphin or sharks feeding.

Should you be afraid to swim in the ocean....no....just remember it isn't the same as swimming in a pool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2013, 07:13 PM

109 posts, read 143,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Sooner or later those sharks are going to catch on to your deception FD..

http://static.ddmcdn.com/gif/bob-the-shark-300x267.jpg

You do not live in Florida yourself?

Old 12-29-2013, 10:28 PM

981 posts, read 899,886 times
Quote:
I've seen sharks in Delray Beach when I go there. Just once tho. Someone said it isn't the type that would kill you. I forgot the name, but it was a dark colored one. I know the beaches have signs for temp and other info and most likely would have a sign not to swim if it isn't safe.
i encountered one while paddleboarding about two months ago. as everyone has said, it was right in the middle of a school of fish. so no more boarding for me when i see those conditions. also, just curious are there a lot of dolphins at the southern palm beach county beaches?

Old 12-30-2013, 06:07 AM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
bmw, I was referring more to people who are just enjoying standing in the water, not involved in water sports. I don't ALWAYS face out to sea, but neither do I ignore what waves are coming in, either.

Also, regarding daily lifeguard posts at the beach - yes, always read these before entering the water, or even beachcombing. Although even these signs don't take in everything - on Saturday I noticed several washed-up Portuguese men of war stranded at the tide line, but no mention of them on the lifeguard listing. If a tourist did not know what these blue or purple "balloons" are, they may be tempted to pick one up, especially kids.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:09 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLark7 View Post
bmw, I was referring more to people who are just enjoying standing in the water, not involved in water sports. I don't ALWAYS face out to sea, but neither do I ignore what waves are coming in, either.

Also, regarding daily lifeguard posts at the beach - yes, always read these before entering the water, or even beachcombing. Although even these signs don't take in everything - on Saturday I noticed several washed-up Portuguese men of war stranded at the tide line, but no mention of them on the lifeguard listing. If a tourist did not know what these blue or purple "balloons" are, they may be tempted to pick one up, especially kids.
Usually when they write on board that marine life has been spotted that is what they mean-jelly fish and Portugese-man-o-war. Anytime the wind is from the east, you might spot them on the beach. When there are jelly fish close to shore in the waves , you have a better chance of seeing a large sea turtle, too. You never know what you will see at the beach and that is why I still love walking on the beach after 35 years of being here. I still get excited when I see turtles, dolphins, manatees, sharks, gators, star fish, rays,, various types of jelly fish, horsehoe crabs, ghost crabs, different shore birds, and even different types of shells than you usually find, etc.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:44 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,209,468 times
Quote:
Reef Sharks, I believe. They're harmless for the most part, to humans at least.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:46 PM

910 posts, read 2,219,282 times
Rabflmom, in this case, the purple flag was not flying, nor did they list any marine life on the board. Maybe they were going to make the rounds a bit later to check; I was there shortly after they arrived and wrote up the board.

I am so pleased to hear that you still enjoy walking the beach after years here ! That is very encouraging, since I have run in to some people who have lived here a while and said they once were excited about being near the ocean, but aren't now. I feel like a little kid every time I go to the beach, and I never want to lose that enthusiasm ! I practically do the "Snoopy happy dance" when I find a sea bean or sea heart in the sand. I am still waiting to see a dolphin or manatee since living here, but I am sure I will eventually !

Old 12-30-2013, 04:50 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
You have a much greater chance of getting hit by lightning or winning the FLA lottery than you do have in getting bit by a shark in FL.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:05 PM

18 posts, read 22,172 times
This topic basically taught me never to go swimming in the oceans.

Thanks for that!

Old 12-30-2013, 06:58 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,899,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rswfire View Post
This topic basically taught me never to go swimming in the oceans.

Thanks for that!
Awww - that's a shame. The ocean is amazing. If the water is clear put on a mask and take a look down there. It's so beautiful. I'm a huge chicken. If I can enjoy it, anyone can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida