Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2008, 12:20 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times

Advertisements

some hold out from the Khmer Rouge, undoubtably

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Also~tonight on America's Most Wanted, they had the whole story about the 8 murder victims by Ft. Myers. We've actually had stories about it on our local news way up here, but it was interesting to see the progress they've made on the case. They had actually hand delivered the skulls up this way~Wyo. actually~and a gal there has reconstructed the faces. She did a fantastic job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:18 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
They've filmed several eps in Lee County, and one or two in Collier.. I watched quite a few Lee Co. ones about a month or so ago up here in NH. Got a laugh outta it.. The calls are so stupid, noise complaints, kids playing basketball in the street too loud, one guy didn't wanna pay his food bill.. If all goes well my husband will be working for either the Collier or Lee sheriffs office.. maybe we'll see him on there

Old 01-20-2008, 06:38 AM

45 posts, read 171,890 times
Yes, but how many of the calls on Cops are of a more serious nature?

The calls you see on Cops are not indicative of the issues we're having down here.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:24 AM

36 posts, read 107,119 times
But the people are.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:18 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,408,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braizy View Post
Thank you all for your info - i will try to answer the questions that have come my way on here all together.
I am in England and currently work for Marriott hotels.
With regards to what I have found out so far - I keep just coming up with city place!! I have done a sales test call to the hotel and asked about the area and thats what they came up with. I have called concierge and they are sending me some info (but really mentioned city place in the main). I have searched the business directory but it is tough to tell what size the businesses are. I have also read through a mixed bag of reviews on trip advisor.
With regards to other hotels - there seems to be Hilton hotels (clearly a major competitor group) but they are listed as singer island,palm beach airport and Hilton Garden Inn west palm beach airport. Are they nearby?

I can assure you that I am not looking for an easy ride here, I am doing plenty of other groundwork, just that often the info is best from residents/visitors of the area.

Many thanks

Cityplace is a major commercial destination - like an outdoor mall with a theater and 100 or so stores and restaurants, bars, and a comedy club. You have your typical "mall-esque" stores - Banana Republic, GAP, a few higher end retail stores...

Right next door to Cityplace is the Kravis Center, which is a major venue for plays, dance, major comedians, etc.) Getting "into" downtown around 6:00 or 7:00 PM on weekdays "during season" (the winter months) can be a challenge because of the stream of traffic into the Kravis.

The Marriot people at the hotel SHOULD be telling you about Clematis Street, though, as it's walkable from the hotel and about two blocks from cityplace. Clematis Street has many clubs, bars, restaurants, and even a small playhouse.

The other Hilton hotels in the area are on Australian Avenue.... really only a mile or so away from the Marriot, but across the highway and not on a walkable road to downtown. Singer Island is too far away to be competition. Palm Beach hotels will be more competition for you for visitors to West Palm Beach, but I'm pretty sure Marriot is several price points lower than, say, the Breakers.

Old 01-20-2008, 08:36 AM

45 posts, read 171,890 times
Hahah, [SIZE=3]touché[/SIZE].

I meant that things here are a lot worse than you see on Cops.

Old 01-20-2008, 09:40 AM

975 posts, read 3,731,602 times
LOL, I watched it again last night (yeah, I need to get a life) and it was a teen riding around on a golf course at night (on a golf cart) that was the call. They said something about Cape Coral so it was near that area again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
They've filmed several eps in Lee County, and one or two in Collier.. I watched quite a few Lee Co. ones about a month or so ago up here in NH. Got a laugh outta it.. The calls are so stupid, noise complaints, kids playing basketball in the street too loud, one guy didn't wanna pay his food bill.. If all goes well my husband will be working for either the Collier or Lee sheriffs office.. maybe we'll see him on there

Old 01-20-2008, 10:19 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,294,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by INeedAChange View Post
LOL, I watched it again last night (yeah, I need to get a life) and it was a teen riding around on a golf course at night (on a golf cart) that was the call. They said something about Cape Coral so it was near that area again.
A teen that was already on probabtion for grand theft and had numerous arrests for battery and burglary in the past year.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:02 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,440,752 times
This man was notorious in his time. I don't believe for one moment that he is no longer a threat. Studies show that if his life has a stressor of some kind, death of someone close, problems getting a job, getting fired, he could very well start up with his old pattern.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:13 PM

1,451 posts, read 2,491,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FSU_Alum View Post
Yes, but how many of the calls on Cops are of a more serious nature?

The calls you see on Cops are not indicative of the issues we're having down here.
I can personally tell you that 97% of the calls are just stupid *(my husband was a 911 dispatcher for Collier County for 3 years, he took the calls that the police went to) The news hypes up everything! Its disgusting honestly it is.. Up here, my husband was in a "highspeed" chase.. ALL over the news, breaking news cuttin into programs. Yah it was "horrible" and dangerous etc according to the news, oh it could be a fugitive on the run,with warrents and weapons etc. They had me s***ing my pants thinking my husbands gonna die some horrendous death chasing this guy. They never mentioned how high the chase got to, only that units were in pursuit.... Yah truth of the story was, my husband "chased" him in the cop car for all of under 3 mins, never reaching above 35 mph, the guy stopped at his own accord, there were no tire stips used, and he surrender.. He ran because he was underage, had beer in the backseat, and paniced when my husband pulled up behind him... This is the case with many events that happen, as I get the first hand accounts I can honestly tell you most are just hyped up cause nothing better is going on in town.. There are certain instances dont' get me wrong, but overall.. bah.. just a lot of complaints, broken down cars, loud music, dogs barking calls...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida