Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times

Advertisements

anyone paying $40k a year in rent is out of their minds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
You're dreaming lol. Good luck on that.

Median Household Income in SF: $73,802
Median Household Income in Boca: $70,067
Median Household Income in Fort Lauderdale: $50,191

If you ever land a job in SF, I know you will take back your thoughts when you go apartment hunting lol. My buddy works at Dreamworks and earns low $100k's. His apartment is $3,400 for a 700 sq ft apartment with not even granite counter tops or anything luxurious.

Oh and pretty much all apartment developments charge between $175-$400 for a parking space. If you decide to sell your car, it will be a hard pill to swallow earning 6 figures, yet still having to ride MUNI with the crazy mentally unstable people with literally crap soiled pants. Don't get me wrong, SF is a beautiful and amazing city, but too many of you guys in Florida keep thinking you will be able to live a more luxurious life here because of higher wages and every time it never pans out that way because you don't take the cost of living serious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2014, 10:29 AM

14,949 posts, read 12,147,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericthebean View Post
Interestingly not many of you did hit the point of what I like the least about Florida. It's the lack of elevation...very flat ...highest point being 345 feet above sea level. That doesn't mean I don't love the state anyhow but I think the flatness is one of the things I like the least...the 2-dimensional-ness

If I could change one thing about the state it would be having a mountain range with cool micro-climate zones on canyons and then having the beaches and the glades
Actually now that you mention it, I know what you mean. I can well understand someone not liking the flatness- and the sameness of so much of Florida. That was the worst thing for me too, when I moved to Florida so many years ago. I grew up in western PA, and really missed the mountains. I guess I adjusted to the topography as life and time went on, but I still crave a road trip every couple years to get my mountain fix!

And even now, if I got to choose a national park to get dropped into and had to make my way there for some time- I can tell you for sure it wouldn't be Everglades National Park!

Old 12-04-2014, 10:38 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
anyone paying $40k a year in rent is out of their minds.
Also keep in mind that is for a studio or 1 bedroom lol.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:41 AM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Hahaha!

What's shalom?
Peace

Old 12-04-2014, 10:42 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigger-f View Post
Do you know many people with good jobs that actually hate this place pathologically like you and some others here? Dude, if you have a good job it implies your life is stable. FL offers a gazillions of options for people with good and stable employment. If you dislike FL so much it's probably because of circumstances in your life. Ultimately, I think you're the butt hurt, that's why you left FL.
What makes you think that people who express their's or others negative experiences about Florida equals the statement "dislike FL so much"?

Old 12-04-2014, 10:44 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The problem here is elitists. For some reason they dont realize that society has always needed a "fries with that" subset. That used to be handled by young teens and college students but people have let themselves go to pot to a point they dont even want to try anymore. They prefer to be minimum wage for life people.

Then there is the subset of average working people. Bank tellers, mechanics, bus drivers, construction workers of all kinds, painters, bakers, house inspectors, accountants.....
The elitists put those people into the same subset of minimum wage for life workers.

It used to be when you took a job you wanted to excel at it, make more money at it and get promoted up the chain of command. That is totally still possible. If you have ambition. Nobody is going to walk up to you on the street and hand it to you. It needs to be learned.

The defect of the elitists is that they firmly believe that everybody works for minimum wage or in tourism in FL. They cant get off that bus.

Yes, lots of folks live paycheck to paycheck. They are keeping their heads above water in a horrible economy.

The median income in the US is $53k. The median income in FL is $47k. Not much disparity there.

Only about 20 percent of American households even reach the six-figure income mark.
I agree for the most part there isn't much difference, plus many areas besides South FL have a much lower COL. Tampa Bay or similar metro areas in FL are the middle line (people make slightly less but with the COL being lower, people manage to live decent lives and some actually thrive.) Most households have 2 persons working anyhow.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:52 AM

4,918 posts, read 6,470,242 times
Elitists I know think 100k a year is a bad salary. Lot of my buddies lot of graduate school are making 80 to 160 g's a year. Cost of living in America is super high man, i don't know people live on less than 40k a year. I tip my caps to them, they are the real heroes.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:54 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,176,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by THX 1138 View Post
What makes you think that people who express their's or others negative experiences about Florida equals the statement "dislike FL so much"?
Because if someone had something productive to do, they wouldn't be coming here to reinforce the idea that FL is such a bad place to live/work. Everyone's situation is different. People generalize too much. Whatever you guys say can't apply to all 20 million people in the state.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:55 AM

407 posts, read 1,074,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
California is farr better than Florida is in everyday.

The people, the scenery, the weather, the economy, literally in everyway.

However, FL is better than NY and NJ....so it's all relative. But I can't wait til FL sheds it's old ppl and most of them die off because I feel like they hold the rest of the state back.
Gee, wishing you a long happy life as well.

Old 12-04-2014, 10:58 AM

2,093 posts, read 5,595,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Commuting from Sonoma County is an utter nightmare because of GGB. Many people opt to take the ferry, but that's also a pain in the butt. Also, comparing experienced tech workers to the median income in South Florida is not apples to apples. South Florida is full of attorneys and doctors, would it be fair to compare the median income of say Las Vegas to the average doctor in South Florida, nope. Real estate and rent is expensive throughout the Bay Area, not just San Francisco. However, Sonoma County is such a pain to commute to the city, you can get cheaper rents there, but it's also like you're living in the middle of nowhere.
Who said anything about commuting? I will be living and working P/T out of my home, will be travelling back here once a month and elsewhere as needed. I have driven it before and it's personally not as bad as going down to Miami or into Manhattan, but that's just me.

Point was, STEM jobs here vs STEM jobs in the SF Bay Area...that was my comparison.

South Florida is full of all types, but STEM work is not one of them. Also plenty of people here who do not worry about money at all and live way above average and do not even hold a job at all.

Rental rates within the city of SF are higher than say Fremont or San Jose, already enough statistics proving that point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida