Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:46 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,845,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I left, came back 5 minutes later with his case. He looked puzzled, knowing that there is no liquor store that close to my house. I told him I bought it from the corner gas station.
There's a pizza place by me that's figured out the legalities and logistics of delivering a couple cans of beer with your pizza purchase. So no need to even leave the house to get beer in my neighborhood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2016, 09:09 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
It's even worse in Canada. When I moved down here, I wasn't of age to buy alcohol. When I turned of age here, of course, it's so easy to purchase, it has never occurred to me that in Montreal, one had to go to specialty stores to buy simple things such as wine and beer.
My dad was down a month ago and asked me if I'd mind making a beer run for him. I left, came back 5 minutes later with his case. He looked puzzled, knowing that there is no liquor store that close to my house. I told him I bought it from the corner gas station.
Your dad from Montreal was surprised that you could buy beer in a corner store? Or maybe I am assuming wrong that he is from Montreal.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:13 PM
PDF

11,395 posts, read 13,422,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Your dad from Montreal was surprised that you could buy beer in a corner store? Or maybe I am assuming wrong that he is from Montreal.
Read it again. His dad assumed you had to buy it from a specialty store, and he knew there wasn't a liquor store close by.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:23 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,040,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Read it again. His dad assumed you had to buy it from a specialty store, and he knew there wasn't a liquor store close by.
No, I think I read it right. You can buy beer and wine at any corner store in Montreal.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:28 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Publix is the undisputed dominant supermarket in Florida. Walmart, through Supercenter and Neighborhood Market, is the second largest chain. Winn-Dixie is third through self implosion and better competition in Publix and Walmart.

I do not know if Albertson's will be reviving interest in Florida with its three remaining stores becoming Safeway.

Kroger remains speculated to expand through Florida with its Marketplace hypermarket stores and Harris Teeter.
This is something I just found weird. Everywhere I've ever lived, and most places I've been, have had a Kroger presence. Was truly surprised not to see it in FL.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:41 PM

35,077 posts, read 31,313,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I suppose that for retirees on a fixed income the price of food is a major consideration. Personally, if my grocery bill goes up $10 or $20 a week I know that it's more than offset by lack of income tax and lower other taxes.

I read the whole Best Foods thread, and that woman lived pretty close to where I lived previously, within say a 5 mile radius. I shopped at a lot of different places, but the bulk of my shopping was done at Trader Joe's and Costco. I haven't noticed a material difference in prices, but again, I don't spend hours trying to save a few cents. I DO appreciate the ability to buy wine in each store though. That's a different trip in NY and usually costs more per bottle unless I'd make the 45 minute each way trip to a discount wine store.
The food prices alone in FL would somewhat offset my income tax benefit by moving to FL.

That $8.39 pound of Oscar Meyer bacon at Publix is $4.99 at my local Kroger. I saw milk here for $1.69/gallon. It was something like $3 a gallon.

I don't have absolute numbers, but on these kinds of purchases over a month, it's not out of the realm of possibility that food prices might eat up the other 4% of my income that goes to taxes in IN.

Old 01-15-2016, 02:38 AM

12,017 posts, read 14,330,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The food prices alone in FL would somewhat offset my income tax benefit by moving to FL.

That $8.39 pound of Oscar Meyer bacon at Publix is $4.99 at my local Kroger. I saw milk here for $1.69/gallon. It was something like $3 a gallon.

I don't have absolute numbers, but on these kinds of purchases over a month, it's not out of the realm of possibility that food prices might eat up the other 4% of my income that goes to taxes in IN.
Depends on your income. Also have to consider whatever your property and sales taxes are

Old 01-15-2016, 05:29 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chopchop0 View Post
Depends on your income. Also have to consider whatever your property and sales taxes are
And if you're dead set on Oscar Mayer bacon. Around Christmas I had a BOGO for another national brand which ended up being around $3.50 a pound.

I doubt you'd find milk anywhere here for $1.69 a gallon, even at Costco or TJ's. Dairy will cost more in FL than in Indiana for sure.

Last edited by markjames68; 01-15-2016 at 05:44 AM..

Old 01-15-2016, 06:52 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,404,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
No, I think I read it right. You can buy beer and wine at any corner store in Montreal.
Gas station.

Might have been because of how late it was? Not sure. But apparently the laws regarding beer sales up there are vastly different? Fill me in on this maybe, as I have no experience buying beer and liquor in Montreal.
Here you can buy beer/wine pretty much anywhere and at any time before 2AM.

Old 01-15-2016, 07:31 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,573,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is something I just found weird. Everywhere I've ever lived, and most places I've been, have had a Kroger presence. Was truly surprised not to see it in FL.
There is talk of Kroger buying Southeast Groceries to get into the Florida market. SE is the parent company of Winn-Dixie, Bi-LO, and Harveys
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida