Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2015, 01:25 PM

769 posts, read 830,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
Yup. FL could have something much worse than Publix. Some people don't like it, but they are the minority.
Here's the thing, if you like Kroger, move your ass to Georgia...

Trader Joes?? Hipster nonsense... get the hell out of here with that

Whole foods?? Expensive garbage, hope you choke on the granola!

Go to WalMart or Winn Dixie if you dont like it, or Bravo or Save A Lot, they take EBT

Like it has been said, MANY have tried, they all fail. Not because of some huge conspiracy, but because Publix is ****ing awesome. Move away to a state without Publix, one of the things you will miss is Publix
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2015, 01:30 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,634,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
LOL ^^^- so eloquent! But it's true. People talk about it being a "monopoly" -no, not really. This is free trade here, any other store can come or go and they have and did. Publix does it best, it's that simple. I really don't see what the problem is. And for those who for whatever reason don't like Publix, can always shop at the other supposedly "non-traditional" type stores many of us mentioned.
Good point. Why exactly is it a problem that we have Publix everywhere?

According to Business Insider's list of best supermarkets, Publix is the highest ranked "traditional" supermarket at #2, behind Trader Joes and ahead of Aldi. We have all 3 right next to each other.

Publix is the only supermarket that is consistently at the top of every single "best" list. So yeah, tell me more about how we are underserved, lol.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:45 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,839,738 times
The people who moved here from Wegman's will probably see Publix as a downgrade of sorts, and I understand that. But, like Publix, one of the reasons why they keep standards high is by not over-leveraging debt in order to expand quickly so don't expect to see them make a grand southern march any time soon.

Never got the Kroger love when I lived in their footprint and found them to be average at best. Publix is apparently peeling away a lot of their customers as they expand into northern Georgia.

Old 12-21-2015, 02:51 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsFan20 View Post
If Publix sucked, you all would have a legit complaint. But Publix is awesome so you all can go suck it
Pretty much. I remember back in the day when we had "competition" some on this thread refer to like Albertsons, Food Lion, Winn Dixie and (gulp! I know i am dating myself here) Goodings! They all sucked and, in many cases, had higher prices than Publix.

I don't mind super target, i'd shop there over publix if it were closer. they have really good prices. so does super walmart. publix is closer and convenient though so I go there, and yes I think they provide they provide their service well

Old 12-21-2015, 03:07 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
The people who moved here from Wegman's will probably see Publix as a downgrade of sorts, and I understand that. But, like Publix, one of the reasons why they keep standards high is by not over-leveraging debt in order to expand quickly so don't expect to see them make a grand southern march any time soon.

Never got the Kroger love when I lived in their footprint and found them to be average at best. Publix is apparently peeling away a lot of their customers as they expand into northern Georgia.
Wegmans is great, don't get me wrong, but their bakery and prepared foods is highway robbery compared to publix IMO

Old 12-21-2015, 03:25 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I was in FL for the third time this year on vacation. This time, I wanted to visit local grocers to get a feel for day to day life and food prices. Amusingly enough, about all I could find was Publix around Tampa and southwest FL. Here in Indiana, we have Marsh, Kroger, Earthfare, Fresh Thyme, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Meijer (hypermarket competing with Target/Walmart), Trader Joe's, Sam's, Costco, Walmart, and a Super Target. Grocery prices are very reasonable, selection is good.

In FL, about all I could find outside of Publix was Walmart and the occasional Target or wholesaler. Considering southwest FL is densely populated, I found this strange. The grocery market seemed to be damn near monopolized and woefully underserved.
Sounds like people have given you a good run down, but last time I counted we had about 14 different grocery brands/chains in Jacksonville, in addition to the independent grocers. Definitely a ton of options.

Old 12-21-2015, 04:09 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,632,049 times
Many states are like this - for example, here in Texas we have HEB everywhere (and they suck, nothing compared to Publix). You get the Walmarts, Targets, Wholefoods etc. too but overall, HEB dominates the market.

I have lived across the country in many states (and a few other countries) and I find Publix to be one of the best grocery chains out there.

Can't wait to come back to FL - one more month!

Old 12-22-2015, 07:50 AM

1,437 posts, read 2,572,527 times
I know New Jersey has lost lots of chains as well.. A&P, Pathmark, GrandUnion all closed.

A&P and Winn Dixie were powerhouses back in the day. Winn Dixie in the 1960s was restricted from opening new stores because they were so dominant. A&P was one of the first chains in the US.

Winn Dixie was THE grocery store in all of Florida and in many towns like Stuart, Ft Pierce etc as the cities grew the Winn Dixie was small and in an old( or bad) part of town.

Publix came in and had nicer and bigger stores with much better service.

Winn Dixie and A&P did not change with the times. Winn Dixie has some nice stores but many are dingy and that is the reputation. Publix is even dominant( since the 1990s) in Jacksonville the HQ of Winn Dixie( Southeast grocers)

Winn Dixie and BiLo merged and there is chatter about Kroger entering Florida by taking them over

Old 12-22-2015, 09:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
If there were 20 different chains available in FL someone would complain that we dont have 21 because somewhere else does

Old 12-22-2015, 09:12 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired11 View Post
I am not knocking Publix as it is immaculate, employees great and I always get my cold cuts there, but do you see many people leaving the store with full shopping carts?
Good point. We shop Publix for the deli and their BOGO items that we use. I love their sweet cole slaw because it's exactly like one store I grew up with. (Waldbaum's)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida