Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:50 AM

566 posts, read 603,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edvard View Post
Did they break a window or was it unlocked?
It was LOCKED, we don't know exactly what happened, but it was locked when we got out of the car and locked when we went to get back into the car. At least he/she was polite enough to lock it against all other criminals, right?

I just want to say sorry, again, to the Florida people. After a couple of days the shock and dismay wore off. I guess, I flew off the handle there for a second.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2008, 11:07 AM

548 posts, read 541,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEOHIO View Post
It was LOCKED, we don't know exactly what happened, but it was locked when we got out of the car and locked when we went to get back into the car. At least he/she was polite enough to lock it against all other criminals, right?

I just want to say sorry, again, to the Florida people. After a couple of days the shock and dismay wore off. I guess, I flew off the handle there for a second.
No problem, I would be upset too. I've had cars broken into in NY, NC, and GA through the years. And a house burglary in FL. No fun, makes you pretty angry.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:53 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Next time, visit somewhere nicer than Daytona. It's probably one of the last places I would recommend anyone visit in the state.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:56 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEOHIO View Post

I would be pretty cheesed myself. Remember that car burglars are even in your town. Daytona Beach happens to have a high crime rate and that may well be the last city I would recommend for a new Florida visitor. That being said, I can almost assure you the same thing is happening to people who don't take such precautions in your town as well, as car burglars are literally in every corner of this country, even if you don't hear about them in some parts. Take this incident a a lesson and be glad the thief didn't smash your window or you weren't a victim of a more violent crime. The best tool against burglary is prevention.

P.S- "I'm coming back" . You should see who I am in a little while.

Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 PM

1,065 posts, read 3,869,640 times
Sorry for your loss, however an unlocked car is an invitation to trouble. For all you know the theives were from Ohio. Having been to Daytona Beach many times, my mother-in-law lives in Port Orange, we have never had any trouble. My kids grew up loving going there and we all still enjoy it now that they're grown. Once again sorry for your loss, but this could just as easily happened in Ohio, Indiana, or any other state.

Old 02-09-2008, 03:16 PM

200 posts, read 684,027 times
I am sorry for your loss, too ...and not only that but knowing someone was in it WHILE you were enjoying yourself. That is not right.....but it DOES happen everywhere. Wonder if there were cameras? The guard saw nothing? HMMM!!!
We have been there several times - never had that happen but makes me think twice. Thank you for the warning but I know that does not help your "icky" feelings.
Don't judge DAYTONA from that though.....we have been here 17 yrs - love it MOST of the time. Yea... sure.... we see some seedy folks at times.....that is what the warm weather brings (esp during WINTERS) Daytona knows it has a problem too. Sad. But please give DAYTONA another try - hide things, that IS tempting to theives. But it still ticks me off, too. So sorry!

Old 02-09-2008, 05:31 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,247 times
Daytona IS a seedy town, though it doesn't look that bad at first. I agree with the carnie sentiment. Everybody there is a con-man of one form or another, even the honest people.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:51 PM

1,217 posts, read 2,836,684 times
There will always be thieves looking to steal and it hurts when it happens to you personally, no matter what town it happens in.

I had my CAR stolen from my driveway in the beach town I lived in for 20 years (not Florida- it was Delaware). I never felt the same way about my town again.As far as leaving your stuff in a locked car--even here in Naples FL when I go to the YMCA gym I put my purse in the trunk before I leave home (no need to advertise it in the Y parking lot). Bad people always look for the easiest way to get money so I like to make it a little harder so they'll go away empty handed. When you're on vacation you're thinking happy thoughts and not always about bad things.

At least you weren't hurt or severely financially impacted. As far as Daytona--it could happen anywhere. I don't think Daytona has a higher crime rate than other places (does it?)

Old 02-10-2008, 07:58 PM

5 posts, read 18,099 times
Is there anyone out there who has moved from the midwest to Florida and would be willing to share thier positive and or negative experiences? We are in Iowa and have been for most of our lives except vacations and are considering relocating to Florida in a few years.

Old 02-10-2008, 08:07 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,007,099 times
I was born and raised in missouri, i moved to florida in '89, and have been here ever since. What is it you would like to know? Will be glad to answer if i can.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida