Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2018, 06:29 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 843904 View Post
I read up on this on a competing site. The thing is, didn't the conversion to Safeway take place in 2015? I mean, how long will they keep shipping product from Houston before they determine their three stores are a success and that it's time to expand? As far as held leases, I thought they got out of them (except for the three stores still open) and Publix moved in to fill those spaces?
The conversion from Albertson's to Safeway occurred in 2016.

Publix acquired approximately forty-nine stores from Albertson's in 2008. Some of those stores have closed for tear down/new builds.

I do not know how many closed and vacant stores Albertson's hold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2018, 06:40 AM

27,218 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I doubt Safeway's three stores are enough to deter customers away from Publix's 787 stores statewide. Safeway is present to offer an alternative to Publix and Winn-Dixie.
They're not meant to be. It's a trial to see if further expansion is a viable option in terms of ability to compete in their specific locations.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They're not meant to be. It's a trial to see if further expansion is a viable option in terms of ability to compete in their specific locations.
Are two years too soon to evaluate Safeway's performance in Florida?

Old 06-19-2018, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Cartwright View Post
I don't think Safeway has the infrastructure and logistics in place to effectively compete in FL. But now I understand some of the concerted and sometimes nasty efforts to malign and libel Publix online here and on other forums.
Could Albertson's be in position to expand across the southeastern United States again?

At the present, Albertson's is acquiring the remainder of Rite Aid, and it will unify pharmacies at its banners under Rite Aid Pharmacy.

If Albertson's has the capital to invest in new store construction and major improvements, it could acquire Winn-Dixie. Winn-Dixie, Harvey's Supermarket, and Fresco y Más with Rite Aid Pharmacy in remaining stores could be doable.

Old 06-19-2018, 07:53 AM

Albertson's, Florida Choice, Food Lion, Fresco y Más, Grand Union, Harris Teeter, Harvey's Suermarket, Jewel-Osco, Kash n' Karry, SupeRx, Sweetbay, and Winn-Dixie failed. Many have dealt with Publix and Walmart.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Could Albertson's be in position to expand across the southeastern United States again?

At the present, Albertson's is acquiring the remainder of Rite Aid, and it will unify pharmacies at its banners under Rite Aid Pharmacy.

If Albertson's has the capital to invest in new store construction and major improvements, it could acquire Winn-Dixie. Winn-Dixie, Harvey's Supermarket, and Fresco y Más with Rite Aid Pharmacy in remaining stores could be doable.
I agree this is the likely scenario given Southeast Grocers logistics already in place which includes Bi-Lo in other areas of the Southeast like NC and SC where Publix is expanding despite saturation of other companies like Harris Teeter, Ingles (who seems to be holding their own against Publix) plus the same set of specialty grocers like Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Aldi, Lidl, Earth Fare, Sprouts and Lucky's along with the impending arrival of Wegman's. Publix has a tough battle on their hands with Ingle's who seems to have figured them out, and should Wegman's decide to go big with expansion over the next several years they really could take a beating in that area of the country.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:44 AM

17,203 posts, read 15,390,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Cartwright View Post
I been around for a while, I saw Albertson's fail here, I saw Grand Union fail here, I saw Kash n Karry fail here, I saw Albertson's even fail in the midsouth (aka Skaggs Alberston's).

Frankly I believe making a move again to FL, would be a terrible use of capital, and would be swimming upstream for years given the absolute market saturation already commenced and in full swing by Publix across the state of FL. Of course anything is possible....companies do stupid things all the time...just look at Sears, JCP, A&P, SweetBay,Target trying to buy Sprouts, amazon buying already pricey Whole Foods.
I loved JCP... Used to buy all of my clothes from there, from college days to my first gigs in the professional world. I also got my first fitted suit from there. Stupid corporate decision makers.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
I loved JCP... Used to buy all of my clothes from there, from college days to my first gigs in the professional world. I also got my first fitted suit from there. Stupid corporate decision makers.
They're still there and unlike other department stores manage to stock a full men's department with a wide selection of sizes, especially in jeans and khakis.

Old 06-19-2018, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I agree this is the likely scenario given Southeast Grocers logistics already in place which includes Bi-Lo in other areas of the Southeast like NC and SC where Publix is expanding despite saturation of other companies like Harris Teeter, Ingles (who seems to be holding their own against Publix) plus the same set of specialty grocers like Trader Joe's, Fresh Market, Whole Foods, Aldi, Lidl, Earth Fare, Sprouts and Lucky's along with the impending arrival of Wegman's. Publix has a tough battle on their hands with Ingle's who seems to have figured them out, and should Wegman's decide to go big with expansion over the next several years they really could take a beating in that area of the country.
Publix will face challenges across western North Carolina with Ingle's present and dominant. It appears do be doing well elsewhere.

I could see Southeastern Grocers in the form of Winn-Dixie and Fresco y Más being acquired by Albertson's. BI-LO could end up with a quantity of stores divested to Publix and/or going dark completely. Harvey's Supermarket's stores could be divested to independent grocers. Winn-Dixie and Fresco y Más could operate as a division of Albertson's.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:02 AM

3,977 posts, read 8,174,381 times
Quote:
Albertson's, Florida Choice, Food Lion, Fresco y Más, Grand Union, Harris Teeter, Harvey's Suermarket, Jewel-Osco, Kash n' Karry, SupeRx, Sweetbay, and Winn-Dixie failed. Many have dealt with Publix and Walmart.
Even Walmart abandoned a building and moved farther away from the Publix where I live. Then they built a Walmart grocery a little farther down from the original Walmart and sales at Publix only went down during their Grand Opening and then went right back up according to friend who managed it back then. BTW back then Publix did not open on Sundays and closed for holidays for family time for employees and still competed. Sometimes competition makes changes and changes are not always for the best.

We had a few others come in here on the coast in the past-Path, Goodings, A&P, a couple discount places like Aldis where they didn't bag the groceries and products were in boxes instead of on shelves that I can't remember the names . They all ended up closing. I can remember another big store we shopped at sometimes, I remember the location, but for the life of me can't remember the name.

The one thing that has changed though over the years is the people moving here are different than the people who lived here in the 70s,80s, and 90s. I think families moved down and accepted the Florida way of life and that included shopping in the Florida stores without expecting everything to be the same as up North.We actually embraced the idea of being different.
I know we loved embracing the natives,learning from them, and enjoyed a more relaxing life. The people coming down today would have hated the Florida of the 70s. Oh, wait some still do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida