Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2016, 07:55 AM

681 posts, read 1,045,680 times

Advertisements

Didn't know they had safeways down here, I just moved back from Oregon and had gotten accustomed to them, they are very nice stores, also was unaware of Albertsons being down here in the south to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2016, 10:34 AM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
I moved to Florida from California where Safeways are on every block and they are just another Publix... Maybe a little worse.

Old 03-04-2016, 02:15 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I moved to Florida from California where Safeways are on every block and they are just another Publix... Maybe a little worse.
Actually they're launching a new prototype store here that's more upscale and designed to give Publix a run for it's money. It could get interesting if the new stores do as well as they are expected to do and the parent company has deep pockets, plus lots of experience as a national/regional grocer.

Albertsons » About Us

Old 03-04-2016, 02:19 PM

There's another company called Lucky's Market that's expanding into Florida also and is in the process of a store opening in Orlando on East Colonial near Waterford Lakes. Lucky's Market | Organic for the 99%

Old 03-04-2016, 02:42 PM

And this possibility looking promising...http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/...r-florida.html

Old 03-04-2016, 04:13 PM

2,054 posts, read 3,342,798 times
Good. I'm not a big fan of Safeway, but Publix definitely needs some competition (and Winn Dixie ain't it). However, ever since I've discovered Trader Joe's here in St Pete, bye bye Publix! So I doubt I'd shop in a Safeway anyway. Between Trader Joe's and the Fresh Market in nearby Gulfport, we're set. This is the best we've ever eaten for so little money. I mean, Joe's has some killer deals on organic, gluten free, vegetarian, all the stuff we love, and the prices are amazingly cheap. Who knew?

Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 PM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Sarasota is supposed to get some new grocer that is new to the market here in the booming University Parkway corridor. Right now it has not been named. But it is probably one of the ones mentioned here (maybe Lucky's Market). Sarasota has a huge amount of stores, so we are really lucky that way (no pun intended).

I don't know anything about Safeway, but if it is just a regular grocery store I probably won't have any reason to shop there. I am more interested in the discounted organics and specialty stores. Publix is just fine for all the rest.

Old 03-04-2016, 08:02 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,726,483 times
An AJ's Fine Foods would be nice!

Old 03-05-2016, 05:09 AM

2,580 posts, read 3,749,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smarino View Post
Good. I'm not a big fan of Safeway, but Publix definitely needs some competition (and Winn Dixie ain't it). However, ever since I've discovered Trader Joe's here in St Pete, bye bye Publix!
I used to think that way, but then I remembered that Publix operates outside of Florida and they aren't the number one store in those other states. More like number #4. They get plenty run for their money elsewhere and with the exception of coupon doubling (Georgia only?) and a Wednesday penny item in some markets, everything else in the store is identical to what they offer in Florida.

Take Columbia, SC for instance. In addition to the competitors they already have here in Florida like Bi-Lo (Winn-Dixie sister store with identical sales ads that performs better than WD does in Florida), Walmart, The Fresh Market, Save-A-Lot, Aldi, and a newer Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, they also have Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Kroger to compete against. Super Target is the only missing common competitor. And remember, Publix is not on every corner there, it is number #4 or so in market share, and the prices and store experience are the same.

Old 03-05-2016, 08:44 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boy3365 View Post
I used to think that way, but then I remembered that Publix operates outside of Florida and they aren't the number one store in those other states. More like number #4. They get plenty run for their money elsewhere and with the exception of coupon doubling (Georgia only?) and a Wednesday penny item in some markets, everything else in the store is identical to what they offer in Florida.

Take Columbia, SC for instance. In addition to the competitors they already have here in Florida like Bi-Lo (Winn-Dixie sister store with identical sales ads that performs better than WD does in Florida), Walmart, The Fresh Market, Save-A-Lot, Aldi, and a newer Whole Foods and Trader Joe's, they also have Piggly Wiggly, Food Lion, and Kroger to compete against. Super Target is the only missing common competitor. And remember, Publix is not on every corner there, it is number #4 or so in market share, and the prices and store experience are the same.
And Publix is also newer in all states outside of FL. Give it time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida