Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2016, 07:31 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,901,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm a FL native that has lived in NC since August. NC is growing at a substantial rate but it won't have the population growth that FL does. One thing I do like about NC, is that even in the midst of all this growth, they are still able to retain the local culture and everything that makes the place great. Granted they don't have anywhere near the numbers of FL, but loads of people are still moving here and NC hasn't really changed at all.
That's not what many of the people in the NC forums say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 12:41 AM

2,232 posts, read 2,119,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
Rather be growing, than dying!
Exactly. I couldn't imagine living somewhere with no population growth. The Midwest has that everywhere and it must be depressing. Each year seeing another school, shopping center, apartment complex shut down.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:45 AM

167 posts, read 165,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Pinellas county lost people because of a high death rate due to the median age, smart one.

Where did you crawl out of?
The median age is 43 in Pinellas, the county is at max capacity (one of the dense in the country) their is no more building to be done except up which they can't do because of strict building codes. Its called LOW DENSITY SPRAWL which is stifling the growth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happiness-is-close View Post
Exactly. I couldn't imagine living somewhere with no population growth. The Midwest has that everywhere and it must be depressing. Each year seeing another school, shopping center, apartment complex shut down.

Except we get a new taupe cookie cutter strip mall every year, and 30 acres of wildlife get displaced, fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
If you're a home owner, you should love it, more people = more pressure on real estate markets = appreciating values.
How does this help when you have to turn around and buy another overpriced home after you sell?

Old 04-20-2016, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post

Oh, by the way
Wrong again bub,

Boomers were born between 1946-1964 which makes the younger boomers 52 years old. I could only find stats for 46+ but in Florida residents ages 46+ make up 40.2% of the entire population. I just picked a random state to compare but with the same size, so I picked Texas with a lot of up and coming cities and their 46+ population is only 30.1%, seems like a significant amount of BOOMER AGED people choose florida. Florida is a fad for this particular demographic, couple that in with tougher immigration laws in the future (prediction) and cuba opening up more of their trade and you will see the growth SLOW significantly.

The thing is how is saying growth will slow "bashing" florida, I dont even understand your logic here? I am sure many will hope my predictions will come true. Just because we dont get unabated growth in the future doesnt necessarily mean its a bad thing. Why do you go nuts everytime someone doesnt agree with you?

Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I'm a FL native that has lived in NC since August. NC is growing at a substantial rate but it won't have the population growth that FL does. One thing I do like about NC, is that even in the midst of all this growth, they are still able to retain the local culture and everything that makes the place great. Granted they don't have anywhere near the numbers of FL, but loads of people are still moving here and NC hasn't really changed at all.
Be patient. As with any place that undergoes a population shift, things will change.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
Be patient. As with any place that undergoes a population shift, things will change.
It seems you want places to change for whatever reason. Change isn't always a great thing you know.

Old 04-20-2016, 10:21 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,128,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Famalam View Post
Wrong again bub,

Boomers were born between 1946-1964 which makes the younger boomers 52 years old. I could only find stats for 46+ but in Florida residents ages 46+ make up 40.2% of the entire population. I just picked a random state to compare but with the same size, so I picked Texas with a lot of up and coming cities and their 46+ population is only 30.1%, seems like a significant amount of BOOMER AGED people choose florida. Florida is a fad for this particular demographic, couple that in with tougher immigration laws in the future (prediction) and cuba opening up more of their trade and you will see the growth SLOW significantly.

The thing is how is saying growth will slow "bashing" florida, I dont even understand your logic here? I am sure many will hope my predictions will come true. Just because we dont get unabated growth in the future doesnt necessarily mean its a bad thing. Why do you go nuts everytime someone doesnt agree with you?
It's not a matter of not agreeing with me. It's a matter of disagreeing with you. I really dont see a 10.1 difference in the 46+ population as a metric of population growth in the future. I do not believe that the past 36 years of population growth, which I have show is a 'fad'. If you look back before 1980 growth was constant since the 1950's. A lot of people prefer the consistently warmer weather and flock here.

Have you been to the central Pasco east of U.S. 41? It's farmland and the wildlife consists of Gopher tortoises, snakes, squirrels, raccoons, opossums. Ranchers and farmers die off and their heirs sell the land to developers and people inhabit the areas closer to I-75. Still there is plenty of preserved areas such as Starkey Wilderness Preserve, Upper Pithlachascotee River Preserve, Cypress Creek Preserve, to name a few.

Of course growth makes huge changes on formerly unused cleared land. The growth is going to continue. Is it a good thing for FL? Probably not but it's bound to happen.

As to your 'bashing' I was referring to your postings in general.
Always the same pattern with a few "new" posters.

Last edited by Spring Hillian; 04-20-2016 at 11:12 AM..

Old 04-20-2016, 10:51 AM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
How does this help when you have to turn around and buy another overpriced home after you sell?
It's truly saddening how so many people here are ... well, to use a word: quite limited.

If you buy a home for 100k and it increases to 500k, you have increased your wealth by 400k. It doesn't matter if you sell this home and buy another for 600k, or sell your home and put your proceeds into a bank account. Your wealth increased by 400k, whether that 400k is tied down into real-estate, stocks, mutual fund, savings account, you name it, you have it.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majami View Post
It's truly saddening how so many people here are ... well, to use a word: quite limited.

If you buy a home for 100k and it increases to 500k, you have increased your wealth by 400k. It doesn't matter if you sell this home and buy another for 600k, or sell your home and put your proceeds into a bank account. Your wealth increased by 400k, whether that 400k is tied down into real-estate, stocks, mutual fund, savings account, you name it, you have it.

Wow a 300% increase is this 2008 again? Doubt you can show me those gains in the housing market right now. Maybe we are n another bubble have you ever thought of that? LOL people like you think you are so smart until you lose your a$$ then we never hear about it.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:09 AM

892 posts, read 859,928 times
Quote:
Wow a 300% increase is this 2008 again? Doubt you can show me those gains in the housing market right now. Maybe we are n another bubble have you ever thought of that? LOL people like you think you are so smart until you lose your a$$ then we never hear about it.
I feel very sorry for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida