Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:24 AM
PDF

11,396 posts, read 13,427,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You pretty much explained it already. Many of those lacking in the skills and education to make it in other cities move to Orlando under the assumption that it's a cheap place to live with plenty of low skill jobs available. While partially true it's proving to be not that affordable for a place where the majority of jobs pay less than 30K a year and many aren't full time and/or provide health insurance. Perhaps one day you'll (and others) catch on to the fact that it's unsustainable population growth due to rising costs and skills/wages unable to compensate. Orlando's median one bedroom rent value sits just below $1000 a month in a city where the average median salary (not household income) is 25K a year. Do the math on that one and see where that stands. Additionally your continued weird assertion of availability of some higher paying jobs (roughly a quarter of the job market) as if it compensates for the entire population, will not hold heads above water for the remaining 75% as time goes by. That ladies and gentleman is called economic sustainability, which does not exist here currently...
I do not understand Spring Hillian sometimes. His post just further proved your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 12:13 PM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
Quote:
You pretty much explained it already. Many of those lacking in the skills and education to make it in other cities move to Orlando under the assumption that it's a cheap place to live with plenty of low skill jobs available. While partially true it's proving to be not that affordable for a place where the majority of jobs pay less than 30K a year and many aren't full time and/or provide health insurance. Perhaps one day you'll (and others) catch on to the fact that it's unsustainable population growth due to rising costs and skills/wages unable to compensate. Orlando's median one bedroom rent value sits just below $1000 a month in a city where the average median salary (not household income) is 25K a year. Do the math on that one and see where that stands. Additionally your continued weird assertion of availability of some higher paying jobs (roughly a quarter of the job market) as if it compensates for the entire population, will not hold heads above water for the remaining 75% as time goes by. That ladies and gentleman is called economic sustainability, which does not exist here currently...
Granted. Rents are high everywhere.

"As of February 2016, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Atlanta, GA is $1376. "

"As of February 2016, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Raleigh, NC is $1045. "

"Average rents throughout Brooklyn (New York) increased by 0.25% from $2,716.55 in February 2016 to $2,723.46 in March 2016. "

"As of February 2016, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Seattle, WA is $1754."

"As of February 2016, average apartment rent within 10 miles of Boise City, ID is $925. "

You avoid answering the question. Why does the population continue to grow?
People arent leaving $40k a year jobs to work for $30k or less.

A "fast food" clerk in Atlanta earns $19k a year. Same for Raleigh, NC, in Brooklyn NY $22,200.

Things are he same wherever you go when your skills are limited. I would guess that fact brings down the averages in Orlando.

Old 04-23-2016, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I do not understand Spring Hillian sometimes. His post just further proved your point.
Nothing to prove. Low skills equals low pay everywhere.

If you look at skilled occupations the salaries are above $30k.

Legal assistants in Orlando earn average $20 an hour, $40k a year. Most firms offer health benefits, 401k, etc., insurance company claims adjuster, $50k a year, benefits. There are hundreds of occupations. Many of them do not pay $30k or less a year.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:06 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
You avoid answering the question. Why does the population continue to grow?
People arent leaving $40k a year jobs to work for $30k or less.
I didn't avoid answering. as usual your comprehension is completely lacking. The answer again is because many of those people think they're going to land in some kind of paradise with nothing but sunny days, endless trips to WDW, a low cost of living with no state payroll tax or car taxes and find a job that supports a new fantasy lifestyle minus the skills necessary to find suitable employment and what turns out to be a more expensive place to live than planned for. Once here like the skilled trades people who landed here in the housing boom, they cannot afford to leave and are more/less stuck.

Old 04-23-2016, 01:16 PM

Quote:
I didn't avoid answering. as usual your comprehension is completely lacking. The answer again is because many of those people think they're going to land in some kind of paradise with nothing but sunny days, endless trips to WDW, a low cost of living with no state payroll tax or car taxes and find a job that supports a new fantasy lifestyle minus the skills necessary to find suitable employment and what turns out to be a more expensive place to live than planned for. Once here like the skilled trades people who landed here in the housing boom, they cannot afford to leave and are more/less stuck.
If you really believe people think that by relocating the are "going to land in some kind of paradise with nothing but sunny days, endless trips to WDW, a low cost of living with no state payroll tax or car taxes and find a job that supports a new fantasy lifestyle" I would have to say you are delirious.

So where are the tent cities and soup kitchens for your $25,000 income people (the 75%)?

How do the restaurants survive? The bars? Car dealerships? Supermarkets?

Wouldnt they be closing shop because people dont have the money since it all goes to rent?

How about the dual income people who are jointly earning $50k a year? Are they far and few between.

I think your stuck in some sort of poverty bubble from which there is no view.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:18 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
Quote:
If you really believe people think that by relocating the are "going to land in some kind of paradise with nothing but sunny days, endless trips to WDW, a low cost of living with no state payroll tax or car taxes and find a job that supports a new fantasy lifestyle" I would have to say you are delirious.

So where are the tent cities and soup kitchens for your $25,000 income people (the 75%)?

Wouldnt they be closing shop because people dont have the money since it all goes to rent?

How about the dual income people who are jointly earning $50k a year? Are they far and few between.

As usual as you take it to the extreme. Tent cities and soup kitchens? Not so much....
A majority of residents sharing apartments with one, two or more others (or home with Mom and Dad)...you betcha.

The surviving restaurants are largely of the chain variety and most of the higher end operations are kept afloat by tourists, much like higher end retail such as found in the Mall at Millenia. Dual income people living at 50K are no different largely than one living on 25K, other than rent and hardly fuzzy math. Supermarkets and car dealerships are a basic necessity found in any community and are by no means a reflection of community wealth. I think perhaps your view from 90 miles away in Spring Hill is skewed by the perception put forth by some of the homers on this forum who maintain Orlando as some kind of thriving economic engine.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:27 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,210,304 times
What is national migration, from other states, I presume?

Old 04-23-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
As usual as you take it to the extreme. Tent cities and soup kitchens? Not so much....
A majority of residents sharing apartments with one, two or more others (or home with Mom and Dad)...you betcha.

The surviving restaurants are largely of the chain variety and most of the higher end operations are kept afloat by tourists, much like higher end retail such as found in the Mall at Millenia. Dual income people living at 50K are no different largely than one living on 25K, other than rent and hardly fuzzy math. Supermarkets and car dealerships are a basic necessity found in any community and are by no means a reflection of community wealth. I think perhaps your view from 90 miles away in Spring Hill is skewed by the perception put forth by some of the homers on this forum who maintain Orlando as some kind of thriving economic engine.
I didnt know that home sharing ever stopped. Y

Thank the stars for those tourists.

I will let you drown in the pool of doom while the rest of us rely on the facts.

Here is a take from City-data
//www.city-data.com/us-cities/T...o-Economy.html

Orlando - Facts & Rankings

"Major international companies have a presence in Orlando. Walt Disney Company, Lockheed Martin, Siemens Energy, Mitsubishi-Hitachi Power Systems, L-3 Communications, Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC), Electronic Arts, Northrop Grumman, Darden Restaurants, Verizon Communications, Tupperware Brands Corp., American Automobile Association (AAA), Ruth’s Chris Steak House, Deloitte and more. Orlando is also home to the U.S. operations of Germany’s Siemens Energy, Japan’s Mitsubishi Hitachi Power Systems, Spain’s Indra System, Australia’s Adacel to name a few. In total, more than 150 international companies, representing about 20 countries, have facilities in Orlando."

"Orlando is a top location for entrepreneurs. The region has a long history of entrepreneurial activity and is home to unique resources such as the National Entrepreneur Center (one of only two such centers in the nation), the University of Central Florida Business Incubation Program (ranked as one of the top incubators in the nation) and Rollins College Center for Advanced Entrepreneurship that help keep this community among top locations for innovative companies and entrepreneurs. In addition, there are co-working spaces were startups can find flexible workspace options and access to civic, business, and educational organizations.

"Tourism — and the tax revenue generated from it — enables substantial infrastructure investment that further enhances the quality of life. The region provides a rich lifestyle for residents through cultural opportunities, arts, fashion, music, amateur and professional sports, favorable weather and abundant recreational activities. From a brand new Performing Arts Center to a renovated Citrus Bowl stadium to the upcoming MLS stadium, Orlando is also home to the Amway Center, named among the nation’s top sports venues."

"Orlando is the world capital of Modeling, Simulation & Training (MS&T) and the top producing region for engineers in the Aviation, Aerospace & Defense industry. As the nation’s newest hub for Advanced Manufacturing, Orlando is home to the world’s first international consortium for advanced manufacturing and research. Life Sciences & Healthcare are growing here at exponential rates with more than 92,000 jobs and growing. Orlando's Innovative Technologies industry, with an ecosystem that includes the Southeast’s largest tech meetup, is comprised to 2,600 companies with an average wage of $70,000."

Old 04-23-2016, 03:52 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,947,097 times
Quote:

I have to agree Spring Hillian, delirious is a good starting point, I see it on other forums too as it is a consistent thing.

Old 04-24-2016, 12:18 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,913,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDF View Post
I don't know how much you know about Orlando, but it is about a LOT more than just Disney World. I get multiple business news publications and Orlando and Tampa have really been rocking it out. So much so, there is a lot of planning going into much bigger development of the I-4 corridor.

Sure, a lot of the vacation/resort/tourist service sector pay can be low, but in many cases that can be one spouse working there, while another spouse is making $50k or more at Amazon or some other great company, so they have a fine household income. It doesn't mean that every single couple both work the lowest entry level service sector wage. My son for instance makes in the $60's for a big investment firm here and he is not in sales and his wife is in a lower level medical job making $35k, so they are about $100k. Nothing to sneeze at. My wife makes well in excess of six figures. You have the skills, there is plenty of money here. If not, two household incomes can still do okay.

Now I would not move here with no job, no skills and no savings. That is just plain stupid......anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida