Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2016, 09:41 AM

430 posts, read 291,141 times

Advertisements

How I feel about the Population growth?

I moved to a different State, hard to find a good solid career job as a young adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 AM

12,135 posts, read 16,148,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Pinellas_Guy View Post
I don't know how much you know about Orlando, but it is about a LOT more than just Disney World. I get multiple business news publications and Orlando and Tampa have really been rocking it out. So much so, there is a lot of planning going into much bigger development of the I-4 corridor.

Sure, a lot of the vacation/resort/tourist service sector pay can be low, but in many cases that can be one spouse working there, while another spouse is making $50k or more at Amazon or some other great company, so they have a fine household income. It doesn't mean that every single couple both work the lowest entry level service sector wage. My son for instance makes in the $60's for a big investment firm here and he is not in sales and his wife is in a lower level medical job making $35k, so they are about $100k. Nothing to sneeze at. My wife makes well in excess of six figures. You have the skills, there is plenty of money here. If not, two household incomes can still do okay.

Now I would not move here with no job, no skills and no savings. That is just plain stupid......anywhere.
The thing is some of the membership here insists that earning a decent living anywhere in FL is simply impossible, that the only jobs are entry level theme park work, fast food or mopping floors. Perhaps they directly experienced that and do not realize what can be accomplished outside of those sectors. There is an Orlando poster (at there was) who stated he did not know anyone earning more than $12 an hour.

Old 04-24-2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obrienlester View Post
How I feel about the Population growth?

I moved to a different State, hard to find a good solid career job as a young adult.
What state did you move to and what "solid career job" did you find?

Old 04-24-2016, 02:29 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring Hillian View Post
The thing is some of the membership here insists that earning a decent living anywhere in FL is simply impossible, that the only jobs are entry level theme park work, fast food or mopping floors. Perhaps they directly experienced that and do not realize what can be accomplished outside of those sectors. There is an Orlando poster (at there was) who stated he did not know anyone earning more than $12 an hour.
That is a common complaint on every State board, Usually from someone who did not make an effort to learn something that generates a decent income.

It is more about attitude and a willingness to work. In the 1980's a friend in SoCal was making $25.00 an hour as a gardener and here in East TN $40,00 an hour is common. Not glamorous but good money. I started my 1st business doing lawn mowing,no college and had to help support my mother. Now I own 3 business, do business world wide, have 1 patent, 2 more filed and 1 more in the works and still no college or trade school, just High School. A lot of hard work though.

Old 04-24-2016, 02:40 PM

Quote:
What state did you move to and what "solid career job" did you find?
I moved to NY/NJ for a year and a 1/2 to stay with family, 8 months ago I moved to TX and now work full time for DFW Airport. My main career path is in Aviation, there is so many different Aviation companies and jobs available, it is kinda mind blowing from where I was coming from in S.Florida. If I was still in S.Florida I might still be delivering Pizza's for a living.

Old 04-24-2016, 03:34 PM

Quote:
I moved to NY/NJ for a year and a 1/2 to stay with family, 8 months ago I moved to TX and now work full time for DFW Airport. My main career path is in Aviation, there is so many different Aviation companies and jobs available, it is kinda mind blowing from where I was coming from in S.Florida. If I was still in S.Florida I might still be delivering Pizza's for a living.
Sounds like u made the right decision for yourself.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:01 PM

9,569 posts, read 5,629,813 times
Quote:
What career path in Aviation were you seeking? Southeast Florida has 3 Major International airports so how is it possible that you couldn't find work?

Old 04-24-2016, 06:49 PM

"Florida has long been the world’s premier gateway to space, the undisputed air traffic hub of the Americas, a major hub for flight training and MRO, and home to leading manufacturers of all types of aircraft and aircraft components. As a result, Florida has a rich supply chain and talent pool benefiting industry businesses. It's no wonder industry leaders including Boeing, Embraer, General Dynamics, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Pratt & Whitney, Sikorsky, and so many more have significant operations here."

https://www.enterpriseflorida.com/in...ion-aerospace/

Old 04-24-2016, 07:01 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Sounds like u made the right decision for yourself.
Made the right "flight" decision as he is in ......... aviation.

Old 04-25-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What career path in Aviation were you seeking? Southeast Florida has 3 Major International airports so how is it possible that you couldn't find work?
Most of them at the time were only hiring for part-time work. I have my degree in Airport Management, there was just nobody hiring over there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida