Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 01:48 PM

5,701 posts, read 24,156,497 times

Advertisements

The original list is from a google search and based on the Florida law, local restrictions can be authorized to further restrict owner of dangerous dogs. The key work is OWNER not the breed... The owners that are not responsible are the ones that are creating the bad reputations for the pit bulls.

The Florida Statutes

Section 767.14

767.14 Additional local restrictions authorized.--Nothing in this act shall limit any local government from placing further restrictions or additional requirements on owners of dangerous dogs or developing procedures and criteria for the implementation of this act, provided that no such regulation is specific to breed and that the provisions of this act are not lessened by such additional regulations or requirements. This section shall not apply to any local ordinance adopted prior to October 1, 1990.
History.--s. 5, ch. 90-180.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 01:49 PM

7,511 posts, read 22,914,037 times
People are saying they are banned in Miami-Dade but Miami-Dade is not on the list that you posted Sunrico90. It doesn't jive.

Figured I would be safe with the he/she, Sunrico90. It doesn't say in your profile and I've never read in any of your posts if you were a guy or a gal. Hope I didn't offend you.

I found the posting ID, it's Pitbullmommie1206. Just type that in in the quick search and a whole slew of posting from her will come up. I would think she would have the answers to most of the pit bull related questions.

Old 02-18-2008, 01:54 PM

Lightbulb Faca

Florida Animal Control Association

1) Dangerous Dogs
Dangerous dogs are an increasingly serious and widespread threat to the safety and welfare of people and other domestic animals.

A dangerous dog should be so classified because of its aggressive behavior and not because of its breed. When a dog is classified as "dangerous" by the appropriate authority, as required by FL Statutes, Chapter 767.10 -16, certain precautions are required to insure the welfare and safety of the community. This statute details specific actions required of the dog owner. Animal control authorities must insure that all required actions are followed by the owner in accordance with this law. Appropriate follow-up is required and all cases should be well documented with carefully maintained written reports.
FACA recommends the publication or dissemination to the public of information on dogs designated as dangerous, to include such information as location, description, photograph, etc.
In order to enforce Chapter 767.10-15, FACA urges each county to utilize a uniform process of permanently identifying dogs that have been classified as "dangerous". FACA recommends microchipping, but if tattooing is utilized, we recommend the coding system outlined below.
Owners (at their own expense) would be required to have such a dog tattooed on the inside right thigh or abdomen with the following alpha/numeric sequence FLDD00-0. The interpretation of this sequence would be as follows:

a) the "FL" would indicate the State of Florida,
b) the "DD" would indicate that the dog is a "Dangerous Dog",
c) the next two numeric digits would indicate the county in which the dog was classified (using the numeric sequence from the "Florida County Codes" listed in the Appendix) and
d) the final dash (-) and number would be selected by the county to identify that specific dog. The interpretation of this sequence would be as follows:

As an added form of identification, FACA recommends that each dog classified as "dangerous" be required to wear a large reflective identification tag using fluorescent coloring. The word "Dangerous" should be boldly imprinted on the tag to be clearly read from a safe distance. The telephone number of the animal control or protection authority should be included on this tag.
In addition, FACA recommends that all dogs declared "dangerous" be surgically sterilized.
2) Other Dangerous Animals
There are other animals that may pose a serious public safety risk, and should be defined and dealt with by local ordinance.

Last Revised: August 2006
Florida Animal Control Association Home Page

Old 02-18-2008, 06:23 PM

Lightbulb Link to resources

The following should provide more informational resources, also check the Pet forum.

Pitbull Rescue of South Florida

Old 02-18-2008, 09:52 PM

8,200 posts, read 35,448,792 times
I think others were trying to direct you to PitBullMommie1206. You can usually find her hanging around in the DOGS forum (I'm one of the moderators of the DOGS forum) .

To answer your question, my understanding is that there is no BSL (Breed Specific Legislation) beyond the Miami area mentioned already.

Currently, the legislature makes it so that BSL cannot be imposed in the rest of Florida. Of course, there will always be politicians who will harness the fear of a segment of their constituents and use it as a political football.

BSL is a regular topic for us on the DOGS forum. If you look at my signature below, you will find a link that will direct you to the DOGS forum.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:06 AM

15 posts, read 138,757 times
Default miami and pitbull mix dog

Hello everyone! I will also be moving to the Miami area in a couple of months. I will be working at the Miami VA Hospital, so I would prefer a short commute time and live in Miami. However, my dog, who some people immediately identify as a pitbull, although he is mixed, is probably not allowed in Miami (From what I hear). If I will be working in the Miami VA hospital, where is the closest town/city, etc. I can live in that is outside of Miami-Dade County and that is a nice neighborhood (very low crime)? About how long of a commute?

Thank you so much.

Old 02-27-2008, 10:58 AM

582 posts, read 2,038,557 times
Moderator cut: edit.i use to own one years ago and it never attacked anyone but it gave me this look once in a while that spooked me out and finalliy i passed the dog to someone else.

Last edited by riveree; 03-19-2008 at 05:28 PM.. Reason: we have specific dog rule discussions in place, this is not a statement that can stand

Old 02-27-2008, 01:42 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,560,294 times
pit bulls are only banned in Miami dade county. This ban passed after a pit bull mauled a young child to death chewing his scalp off in the late 80s. I believe there is a $500 fine and/or 6 months in jail for possesing a pitbull although I'm not exactly sure on this.

Old 03-19-2008, 11:33 AM

13 posts, read 34,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
pit bulls are only banned in Miami dade county. This ban passed after a pit bull mauled a young child to death chewing his scalp off in the late 80s. I believe there is a $500 fine and/or 6 months in jail for possesing a pitbull although I'm not exactly sure on this.
i live in the tampa bay area and hilsbrough county is trin to pass bsl right now....

Old 03-19-2008, 03:05 PM

253 posts, read 1,053,586 times
The main thing you also need to keep in mind is if you own a dog that may be targeted by gov't., don't forget your Homeowners insurance too. They asked me if I had any dogs that could be part pit, boxer, chow, dob, shepherd, rottie, and when I said not to my knowledge, they said FINE. I asked them if I was covered and they said they covered no DOGS..... So why would they ask me about the breed if they don't cover anything to do with my dogs??
I don't really care, personally cuz my "boyz" are marshmallows, but go figure...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida