Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 12:31 PM

7 posts, read 19,452 times

Advertisements

My family and I left Palm Beach County 2 years ago trying to get away from hurricanes, etc. We are longing to come home to South Florida, PB County hurricanes and all! We're moving BACK to South FLorida within the next few weeks and we CAN'T WAIT TO BE HOME AGAIN!!! Yes, we have traffic jams, different languages, some rude people, high cost of living, crime, etc. But we found out that other areas even small towns have the same problems and are without the resources to deal with the problems, and without the wonderful Florida sunshine and beaches. I miss the people, the diversity of South Florida, the fact that you can get food from different cultures, etc., the malls, Publix!
It is not perfect but it is home to us and we vow not to leave again. Counting the days.....hurricanes and all....for us there's no place like home!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 01:02 PM

4 posts, read 12,551 times
Thanks for the advice. As I sit here and read all of negative posts, I am reminded that I felt EXACTLY like that in 1994. I hated the heat, the small-mindedness, etc. So how the heck could I possibly have forgotten all the reasons why I hated it and be considering a move back? Maybe I am a different person now who appreciates the quirks of living in Florida. I certainly appreciate the sunshine!

And I am so moved by the comment about family. I do miss my family and all the years I have spent so far away. I feel like a stranger in my own family many times, because for years we have seen each other only once or twice a year. I wonder how it will be being close together again...........

Old 02-20-2008, 04:46 PM

2,903 posts, read 12,536,485 times
Returngirl,

Sometimes family can be exasperating. They can be rude, foolish, petty, etc......but you love them, because deep down you know you can also be that way at times.

We all change, and we all struggle on "getting it right". I too can be difficult to live with, that is why I find the concept of grace so amazing. Grace is simply forgiving when the forgiven does not deserve it. It is the oil that keeps life running smoothly, even through some rough times.

Since I have two ears and only one mouth, I try to use them in that proportion. I try to wait a few seconds before I reply to someone. I try to keep my advice to a minimum unless asked for. (except for here...) I try to see things through the other person's eyes before casting judgement.

These things have helped me enjoy my family more. Life is not a practice run.....days go by, and I do not want them wasted with regrets. In short, it is good to be there for family, and for them to be there for you. When they drive you crazy, you can always take a mini vacation, then come back for more.

My 3 boys are all now entering adulthood. I find it amazing how they have turned out......those teenage years were rough, but it seems like they learned a few things...who thought they were even listening?? My purpose in wanting to keep going is to live long enough to hear them say, "Dad, you're smarter then I thought you were when I was a teenager...."

Sorry for my rambling.....good luck on your decision. It is nice knowing that if you do move back to Florida, it may be easier for you with family there.

Keep us posted......

Old 02-22-2008, 11:35 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,675,732 times
Frank, you are so right! Thank you for posting your views on life. I tried to rep you, but they wouldn't let me. As I sit here, on a snow day, with my teenagers, I am thankful for what I have, but sure do wish I'd find my new hometown in Florida!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:20 PM

13 posts, read 51,989 times
Default You should move to N.C.

I currently live in Gainesville, FL. I have lived in N.C. (did the same thing, swore I would never return after leaving at the age of 21), I lived in St. Louis, MO, and 2 cities on 2 opposite sides of Texas. I also lived close to New Orleans. I am currently looking to move back to N.C. and I'm scared. I'm scared I'm going through that, "the grass is greener" thing. I'm scared that once I move out of Florida I will want to return. I think the only reason I feel that way though is because I have lived here for 12 years now (but I would've moved 10 years ago if my husband would have moved)

I hate the humidity here!! Where do you currently live? How's the weather? Well, it's 85% humidity in February. Do you remember those days? How about the "gorgeous" Florida summers that are so stinking hot you can't even go outside to enjoy it. What about the waveless gulf coast that has barely a breeze. And those Altantic beaches in Florida with eroding beaches because the hotels are literally ON the ocean? Skin cancer anyone? My goodness, I'm part Hispanic and I burn in 30 minutes on an average Spring day.

There's no seperation of seasons here, unless of course you count the one hard freeze we get in January that doesn't even kill off the weeds.

My husband says he loves the weather here. He owns a motorcycle and says in Florida he can ride it year round. Then I remind him of how the bike sat in the garage all summer because it was either raining or too hot to ride!

Setting aside the weather, the people in Florida in general....suck! They really do. I find most of the people here are either lazy or seem to think the world owes them something. They're either retirees that hate all of us 30-something "yunguns" or they're in what I would consider a "trash" category. Regardless of age, race, ethniticity, or the like - that's the way I find most Floridians to be.

Next, cost of living. That's a big one. The pay is horrible. We are now one of the most taxed state's in the nation, so on so forth. The state is not managed well, possibly because it's long been considered a Democratic state, high taxes, high welfare - that always leads to empoverished people that have a sense of entitlement.

Don't move back!!! Just visit for two whole weeks and then it will start coming back, why you left in the first place. It will cost less to do that than to move twice!!!

I know this post sounds so sinicle, I've just lived here too long. I like vacationing here - not living here.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:22 PM

8,377 posts, read 30,909,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesjontin View Post
I hate the humidity here!! Where do you currently live? How's the weather? Well, it's 85% humidity in February.
Are we in the same state? The humidity is 44% over here. VERY hot though, but this is abnormal as far as the temperatures go.

Weston Weather Forecast and Conditions Florida

Oh, and NC is traditionally a more liberal state than Florida, especially by your criteria of "liberal" , although yes, FL is a socially open minded state which is kind of a good thing. Yeah, NC, where 14.7% of the population lives below poverty versus the U.S 13.3% and Florida's 12.6%. And wait until you see how much of the North Carolina state government takes in income taxes, on top of property taxes and having your car taxed by ownership.
Political party strength in U.S. states - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Florida - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder
North Carolina - Fact Sheet - American FactFinder

Last edited by compelled to reply; 02-22-2008 at 12:32 PM..

Old 02-22-2008, 12:30 PM

13 posts, read 51,989 times
Default Humidity

Relative humidity this a.m.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:37 PM

85 posts, read 272,063 times
It would behoove you ,maybe to look within a 10 to 12 hr drive to S.FL this way you can still see family on holiday's & long weekends.
S.FL is way expensive,insurance up,gas,up,taxes,up & the entrenched corruption is at an all time high palm beach county has alot of ex politicians now calling prison home.
Crime is everywhere,however here in FL the sweat box it is, bring's every transient & criminal to it's door step.
I can tell you as soon as this lagging,stincking economy turns around & I can sell I am out of this S.FL sweaty,mildewy,moldy,mosguito invested overtaxed,swamp.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM

137 posts, read 550,435 times
Wow.....I live near Gainesville & work there and it is surely an acquired taste! I'm sorry you feel that way about Floridians! I am a native and neither trash nor a retiree...maybe you should meet me so that you can say there is ONE nice person in Florida! lol

Quote:
I currently live in Gainesville, FL. I have lived in N.C. (did the same thing, swore I would never return after leaving at the age of 21), I lived in St. Louis, MO, and 2 cities on 2 opposite sides of Texas. I also lived close to New Orleans. I am currently looking to move back to N.C. and I'm scared. I'm scared I'm going through that, "the grass is greener" thing. I'm scared that once I move out of Florida I will want to return. I think the only reason I feel that way though is because I have lived here for 12 years now (but I would've moved 10 years ago if my husband would have moved)

I hate the humidity here!! Where do you currently live? How's the weather? Well, it's 85% humidity in February. Do you remember those days? How about the "gorgeous" Florida summers that are so stinking hot you can't even go outside to enjoy it. What about the waveless gulf coast that has barely a breeze. And those Altantic beaches in Florida with eroding beaches because the hotels are literally ON the ocean? Skin cancer anyone? My goodness, I'm part Hispanic and I burn in 30 minutes on an average Spring day.

There's no seperation of seasons here, unless of course you count the one hard freeze we get in January that doesn't even kill off the weeds.

My husband says he loves the weather here. He owns a motorcycle and says in Florida he can ride it year round. Then I remind him of how the bike sat in the garage all summer because it was either raining or too hot to ride!

Setting aside the weather, the people in Florida in general....suck! They really do. I find most of the people here are either lazy or seem to think the world owes them something. They're either retirees that hate all of us 30-something "yunguns" or they're in what I would consider a "trash" category. Regardless of age, race, ethniticity, or the like - that's the way I find most Floridians to be.

Next, cost of living. That's a big one. The pay is horrible. We are now one of the most taxed state's in the nation, so on so forth. The state is not managed well, possibly because it's long been considered a Democratic state, high taxes, high welfare - that always leads to empoverished people that have a sense of entitlement.

Don't move back!!! Just visit for two whole weeks and then it will start coming back, why you left in the first place. It will cost less to do that than to move twice!!!

I know this post sounds so sinicle, I've just lived here too long. I like vacationing here - not living here.

Good Luck!!!!

Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:

Good Luck!!!!
Wow - with an attitude like that, I certainly recommend you go on to NC. I am part Hispanic also, and realize this state is not perfect, but we had a part-time home in ASHEVILLE, the so-called most liberal part of NC, and we have it up for sale now and gonna have just ONE nice home here in beautiful Florida, where any drawbacks are far outnumbered by the many things I love about this place. Yes, sometimes it's better to find out for one's self that the "grass isn't greener" and that you don't know what you have until you don't have it any more.

Go ahead, give NC a try. You might love it there...... for awhile.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida